Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Picked up a 98 chambered in 8.15x46R

Boolit Man

Picked up a 98 chambered in 8.15x46R

As the title says, I recently picked up a 98 Mauser chambered to 8.15x46R. It is a repeater, and configured in Gew 98 style, with what I believe is called a "lange" rear sight (sort of looks like a ski jump). Forgive me if I am unclear on the correct descriptions or terminology. The bore is very clean, metal condition is good, the barrel is 29" and smidge long.

Now for the questions, the stock was apparently shortened at one time, whether because of an attempt at sporterizing or the result of a duffle cut, I don't know. Whoever shortened installed an unusual metal cap at the end of the forend. It is sort of hard to describe, but if you were to take a nosepiece off a '91 Argie carbine, enlarge it to fit the snubbed forend, and remove the sight/ears, well that would be close. Maybe.

In any case, it is obviously shortened, so my question is where to find a replacement stock and bands? Would a Gew 98 stock work, or does this action have something unique about it? Are there re-pop Gew stocks, or am I looking for an original?

I would like to put it back to as close to stock as possible but, gasp, I am not going to be obsessive about it. After all, it is already bubba-ed. now that doesn't mean I want to make it worse. But I will willingly substitute something close until I can find the correct parts. So, any suggestions?
    Otony

Boolit Master
    I'd check out any available information on the military match rifles of the pre WW2 era first. Rifles in 8.15X46 were used in special target matches, and the fittings of these rifles may have varied a bit from those of the service rifle equivalent.
    I don't think all of these were meant to mount a bayonet, which might be why it has an unusual nose cap.

Post WW2 many rifles in use by border guards and police were modified so as not to mount a bayonet. If the rifle remained in service post WW2 it may have been modified then.

PS
    I may still have a Gew98 bayo lug and upper band salvaged from a busted stock in my junk box.
    If it turns out your rifle was supposed to have these let me know.

Also you'd do better to replace only the portion from lower band forwards rather than the entire stock.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 03-22-2010 at 12:04 AM.

Boolit Man
    I don't know if this rifle was purpose built as an 8.15x46R or modified from an existing Gewehr 98, but I rather doubt it was ever issued in this chambering. I need some reference books re: Mausers which I sadly lack to determine its origins.

The nose cap that is there is not meant for the extreme end of the stock, it is something lashed together to cap off the cut down forend. It (the cap) doesn't appear to be anything but homebuilt. You can easily see where the lower band was meant to be. That is a break, 'cause if I graft on a forend as you suggest, I can make a fresh cut that will hide under the band.

You are correct that the fittings may well differ from an issue Gew98, but luckily there are a few such rifles well documented on the web to eyeball. If I try for exact replacements it may well sit as is for years, so my intent is to come close enough to make it appear original, then strive for accuracy in the long run. If I am able to accomplish both from the get-go, all the better.

Such being the case, I am quite interested in your parts if you still have them. Please PM me your price and we can proceed.

And yes, if I can, my intention is to graft an original forend on if at all possible. Numrich has a repro Gew98 stock and handguard set and I may use one of those while searching for an original stock. After all, I want to shoot it!

The previous owner sent me two boxes of loads constructed from modified .30-30 brass loaded with 170 grain roundnose soft point j-word bullets that look suspiciously like those for a .32 Special. He said he took a nice deer with it, which is heartening.

I have some RWS brass to hand, and more coming, but I really need to slug the bore before doing anything else. This is going to be a military target rifle for me.....that just may occasionally see the local wheat fields in search of deer.
    Otony

Boolit Master
    Found this site with good detail photos of several examples.
    http://www.feuerbixler.de/history25.html

These show a GEW98 style stock with bayo lug.
    There are civilian gun catalogs adverts there which suggest these were not all a military issue item, but sold commercially to shooters or rifle clubs.

I'd read long ago that the .32-40 case is a good choice for fire forming to the 8.15X46 chamber. It has a slightly thicker rim which will take up any slack in headgap clearance. They need to be trimmed to length first.

I'll look through my parts bin tomorrow to make sure I still have those parts. I think these are from a Gew98 stock, but they might be from a similar mauser, looks to be the same through.

Boolit Man
    Mine is pretty much identical to the one at the top of the page (which I saved BTW, thank you) except that it has a bent bolt. The rear sight and buttstock configuration are identical. It also has a long extractor, some of them had a very short extractor, about half the length of the ejection port.

I am sure the proper metal work can be located if yours is not correct. Lets hope for the best.
    Otony

Boolit Buddy

8.14x46R

Otony...the American Rifleman Magazine had a wonderful article about your style rifle in the past several months...can't find my copy but it is worth reading. I thought these rifles were all blocked (magazine) for single shot only. I have never seen one in person so I could be mistaken. Should be a great shooter...

jumbeaux

Boolit Man
    Ya know, they say the mind is the first thing to go. I get the American Rifleman, and I simply do not recall the article. I will try to find it though.

I have seen repeaters and single shots both, and both were evidently common. Sort of makes me wish I could find one with a rotted out bore to rebarrel to .30-30!
    Otony

Boolit Master

I have a copy of a article from October 2007 American Rifleman that has some pictures and shows some cases and a lot of general information, if you would like I could make a copy and send it to you.

Boolit Man
    Sir, I would appreciate that. I usually take my issues down to the Trap Club here in town. Looked around after posting and that one is sure to have been given away.

I will PM my contact info straight away........
    Otony

Boolit Man
    No photos yet, but I wanted to report that I carefully removed the forend cap, and on closer inspection, you can see that it was home made......from aluminum!

Removal also further confirmed exactly what I had suspected, the forend was cut off. You can just see the remains of the shoulder for the lower band.

I have located both original upper and lower bands in good shape. I also purchased repro upper and lower band springs, along with an entire reproduction stock and handguard from Numrich.

The stock is simply to put it back to stock configuration while I search for an original Gewehr 98 stock. Better yet would be a front section of stock to splice onto my original butstock but I will take what I can find.

A few observations on the Numrich repro stock. I don't know who is turning out stocks for them, but this is an excellently made stock for a reasonable price. For 125 dollars I received a finished stock & handguard along with a recoil bolt (installed), and what appears to be a NOS buttplate in the white (also installed). Quality is very high, good crisp inletting, very nicely finished piece of black walnut. I have zero complaints. I still need the steel escutcheon for bolt takedown, but that is sure to pop up soon enough.

This is the second repro stock I have ordered from Numrich,with the first being for a Savage 340. It was also a nice grade of straight black walnut, well inlet and finished, but the Mauser stock is nicer in both respects.
    Otony