MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationMCD ProductsLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: 5744 load for .44-77?

Boolit Master

5744 load for .44-77?

This is a Carl Gustav roller re-arsenaled to smokeless circa 1892 by the Swedes, barreled and chambered with a Green Mountain barrel by John Taylor. Looking for a load with 5744 under a 340-grain cast lead boolit. Not sure if the ballisticians associated with Accurate Arms give load advice like they used to.

abert. over the years I have worked up loads in many old cartridges and rifles alike, all with 5744 and cases from 38-55 to 50-110. 5744 works at low velocity, meaning low pressures will go bang and the boolit will exit the barrel ok. We then can work up to reasonable velosities for our old case designs 1/2 grain at a time. Example: when doing this the first time, I worked up 45-70 loads beginning at 20 grains to 28 grains in my winchester 1886 getting the velosity I wanted for 400 gr boolits. The same process for 45-90 using 330 grain boolits and so on. The smaller 38-55 I used 15 grains as a start load and worked up using 260 grain boolits. In my old Rem roller 45-70 I worked up to 25-26 grains finding that accurate enough for my needs without high pressure in that old action and barrel. I know some use more powder than I, but having hunted big game with several of my old rifles they all preformed well at velocities I use which is around origional velocities for these old rifles. Most all my rifles are antique and have taken deere, elk and moose, all under 100 yds.

There is a formula to use 5744 in any case, I've posted it here before, don't have time to dig it up now, it's vintage motorcycle show day @ Gilmore.

Unfortunately it's a 2 hour drive to get there.

Roughly, it's fill case to level where your seated boolits will be, weigh that, then multiple by x and y for your min and max loads.

It works well, I've used the formula in probably a dozen+ different boomer rifles with more than satisfactory results. 280 Ross to 470 Nitro Express and a whole bunch in between.

Accurate may very well still publish the formula.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    Most all my rifles are antique and have taken deere, elk and moose, all under 100 yds.

Just curious when tractor season opens?

Boolit Master
    Saw an old post on GBO2 that said the formula is to fill the case to where the base of the bullet will be, weigh, then multiply by .4 for a safe load. This was with the earlier XMP5744, which I developed a great fondness for.

Boolit Master
    Excellent. Thanks.

Just an FYI, there is a corresponding formula to use in any rifle that has the Cordite load stamped on the rifle.

Using Reloader 15, you take the Cordite load and multiply by 1.15 for the load.

I'm 98% sure my multiplier is correct, double check elsewhere to be sure. The value has been published for a number of years.

I think Ross Sayfield(sp) was where I first ran across this.

I know it's not what you're looking for but it's important information to keep in front of people so they aren't reinventing the wheel.

Boolit Master
    For blackpowder cartridges, I use 40% of the blackpowder charge. My 50-70, 70x.4 = 28.

So, 77x.4= 30.8.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Drop Accurate an email, caliber/bullet weight/ powder and they will fire you back data in a day or two. I use this resource all the time.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB