Titan ReloadingMCD ProductsRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 22LR off hand shooting tips

P-Trap of the Big Muddy, on the unoccupied side.
    When I was in 4H, all we did was raise pigs and calves.

Boolit Grand Master

If theres a CMP/DCM club near you consider the beginners match if they put one on. Check with your state rifle pistol association for it. Ohios was a weekend event saturday was 4 hours class room and a practice match with coaches sunday was a actual match. Rifles and ammo were supplied at ours. Only personal gear was needed. This was a high power event garands and a fee ar15/m16s were the rifles.

Our match filled up early father son teams boy scouts some mother daughter and girl scouts, and friends it was a 2 man team event. It was a fun event for the competitors and people putting it on.

Boolit Buddy
    Last practice he done well. Practice is definitely improving his skill.

Boolit Master
    Dry fire and live fire practice is the way to go. Natural point of aim leads the way.

Boolit Grand Master

Improvement will come fast in the beginning then slow thats when it gets hard.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Dry fire and live fire practice is the way to go. Natural point of aim leads the way.
    Any suggestions for dry firing a rim fire?

Boolit Master
    Depends on the gun. Old brass from live fire, wall anchors, snap caps. I have no problem with leaving the chamber empty on my Anschutz or Suhl.

Do not dry fire a 22 rimfire without an empty case in the chamber. I get them in frequently that hang when loading and firing and need the chamber dressed with a reamer due to dry firing Just putting an empty case and rotating it, stops all of that from happening.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    My great uncles taught me to shoot offhand. Both were skilled target shots in Schuetzen style competitions. They always said no live person can hold perfectly still so you have to intentionally move in a controlled manner. For them, that meant making small circles with the barrel while aiming (this was with iron sights). They shot while the front sight was coming up to meet the target; if the view was wrong then make another circle until it was right, then trip the trigger. As mentioned, practice makes perfect - they generally shot 100 rounds every Sunday during those months when matches were held. The real match just became another practice session.
    Interesting. This is the exact technique I developed on my own. My trigger was 'tripable' so I could. I would hold my finger straight ahead outside the trigger guard then time the swing through so that I would fire the 'trip (or twitch) signal' in my brain so that the shot went off on target. I got pretty good at it. I've lost my touch now though.

But - practice, practice, practice.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Competition shoot was last sat. While he didn't place top 3, he done well and shot all 10s and several 10x in prone. That's his strong position. He lost a lot of points standing position. I'm proud of him.

Boolit Grand Master

Off hand takes the most practice and work to master. Dry fire 20 rounds every evening. Place the rifle high on the pocket of the shoulder and lightly cant the rifle over so sights are at the eye. keep the elbow in a comfortable position and use the trigger finger, on heavier triggers you can "load the trigger with about half the pull weight.On the forward arm bring the hand back so the elbow is supported on the hip ribs tight. Adjust feet to a natural point of aim now its hold the rifle up and relax the body down into the solid bone supported position.The forward hand is under or just ahead of or at the action mag well. BY canting the rifle over you keep the ears level helping to maintain your sense of balance.
    A black dot on the wall and dry fire calling each shot as it breaks will get the mind to fingers connection almost instant.