MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Metal Grill Grates

Boolit Buddy

Metal Grill Grates

Any reason that a mesh steel metal screen could not be used for a grill grate? No coating, just steel that is clean of any manufacturing oils, just cooking oil to keep food from sticking. If cleaned after each use wouldn't that suffice? Thanks, C.R.

I've made grills in the past.
    The regular expanded metal with the diamond shaped holes works OK.
    The only thing is if they get too hot, they sort of sag in the center. unless there is some sort of support under them.

Check around the hardware store type places and you can fine the heavier duty replacement grates for grills.
    They'll actually work better.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Earlier this year, I replaced the porcelainized steel grates in our Weber Spirit gas grill with uncoated cast-iron. Heat control is so much better I wish I'd done this years ago...less expensive than OEM replacement parts, too.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Circuit Rider View Post
    Any reason that a mesh steel metal screen could not be used for a grill grate? No coating, just steel that is clean of any manufacturing oils, just cooking oil to keep food from sticking. If cleaned after each use wouldn't that suffice? Thanks, C.R.
    You mentioned "free of any manufacturing oils" -- which is good -- BUT you did not mention the possibility of your metal screen having been galvanized. Using anything galvanized in cooking is a big "no-no" with both toxic fumes to try and not breathe, and resulting poisons on your food. Sorry if you already knew this, and are certain your mesh steel screen is not galvanized or coated with similar rust/corrosion chemical plating -- but I reckoned I'd add this just in case...
    geo

Boolit Master

Back in the 1970's my grandfather picked up a snowmobile ramp on the side of the road Heavy angle iron sided and expanded metal grate it has work well all these years for us over mostly oak wood fires.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    I have used heavy expanded steel mesh over wood fires for years... If you get them too hot they will sag....

Boolit Buddy

No, It's not galvanized. Was reasonably sure that just clean steel, with cooking oil on the grate, would be fine for direct contact with food. C.R.

Best I have found for my use is ceramic coated steel. Because the steel is coated in ceramic they do not rust.

The ceramic if it is lightly oiled with veg or olive oil does not stick badly.
    But the one thing that will cause stick is to get the grill good and hot, then slap a cool steak on it.

It tears some of the meat out of the steak and stays on the grill till it burns off.

Expanded metal would work if you get the bigger stuff. The smaller stuff with the small holes would I think give too much. Unless it was very well supported.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

My steel mesh works fine in my smoker. I did burn it quick with a torch to get off any factory oil before hand and I dont do any more than hit it with a brush before every use. I figure that way the natural fat from the meat will keep it from rusting and its worked for several years

Boolit Master
    ive made grill before. the heaviest one was 3.5'x4' all with 1/4 steel on poles frame and wheels lined with fire brick and used a cast iron manhole type checkerboard street drain for the grate. ive made like they have in parks with 5/8" round steel made grate and one with 1/4" steel plate with slots cut in with milling machine for cooking grate. these were all projects in welding school.
    but on my own ive made grills using expanded steel with 5/8 rebar frame and a couple bars centered to support the metal mesh. ive also built grills and used recycled cast iron grates from old burned out gas grills. it doesn't matter if the grate has oil or rust on it once you put it over a good fire made with lots of wood burn it off good then wire brush it good before putting the steaks on. or if its real rusty put a wire wheel brush on a 4 1/2 inch grinder and it will be clean to bare metal in no time flat. then build a big fire under it to sterilize, then put the steaks on. I was recently floored on the price increase on 4x8 sheets of expanded metal. I have maybe 1/2 dozen sheets I paid $40 each for from local metal supplier maybe 4 or 5 years ago. today the same sheets are $120

Boolit Master

At the conclusion of a project I wound up with 48 two-foot lengths of 7/16” Inconel 625S rod and a several pounds of 1/8” Inconel electrode left over. I had our best welder put together two grill grates, one for me and one for him. Best grates either of us ever owned. Never sagged or corroded, just hit it with a grill brush and it looked brand new. Back then (2001) the stuff was around $7.50 per foot, so my grate was way more expensive than the grill I put it on. When my grill finally fell apart I bolted the grate between two andirons in my fireplace.