Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: How to get rings off jars 2+ years old

How to get rings off jars 2+ years old

I made some pickles a few years back and didn't eat all of them. I would like to reuse the jars but I can't get the rings off the jars.
    I have tried the tool that grasps the rings, but they still won't move. They have some rust on them, and I will not reuse them...the jars, yes....the lids and rings, no.
    Any thoughts on how to get them off short of explosives?
    I am really afraid of hauling on them too much because I once had one shatter on me and I got cut rather badly.
    Your thoughts?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

I am guessing you tried hot and cold water on it. I have had more luck with a plumbers strap wrench, use a cheap one with a rubber strap and a nylon base, not the metal and braided straps that are $$$. Have someone hold the wrench and lid while you wrap the bottle in a towel and turn.
    https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Option two might be cutting the lid with a dremel tool and emptying the bottle. You could then empty it and put it in the freezer for a real hot cold treatment.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you have some metal reaction due to the acid in the pickle juice between the ring and the jar. Set ring side down in a shallow plastic pan with mild solution of Lemi-shine to reduce the rust oxide under the ring. Then try the strap wrench and protection from possible glass cut.

Boolit Grand Master

Tap around the rim with a butter knife hard enough to leave dents. Never had one fail to come off with that method.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Tap around the rim with a butter knife hard enough to leave dents. Never had one fail to come off with that method.
    Old mechanics trick.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

If you lightly heat the ring only with a propane grill lighter, it should break free while hot and expanded, gripped with a doubled towel. then use a “church key” to pop the top if needed. We just used straight hot tap water.when the water was actually hot pre nanny state.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

If nothing works, ya still have some pretty good targets.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Channel lock pliers. We have a pair as everyday kitchen tools.

Boolit Master
    All else fails, you can put some penetrating oil on and let sit for a day or so ?? Lids are toast anyway and bottles can be washed !

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I am guessing you tried hot and cold water on it. I have had more luck with a plumbers strap wrench, use a cheap one with a rubber strap and a nylon base, not the metal and braided straps that are $$$. Have someone hold the wrench and lid while you wrap the bottle in a towel and turn.
    https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Option two might be cutting the lid with a dremel tool and emptying the bottle. You could then empty it and put it in the freezer for a real hot cold treatment.
    I came to say rubber strap wrench. I keep one in my kitchen now.

Boolit Buddy
    Invert the jars in a shallow pan and add enough Evap-o-rust to cover the lids. Let soak for a day or so and spin them off.

Boolit Grand Master

An ounce of prevention.... after making your pickles , (or whatever you are "canning") and after the jars have cooled and the jars have sealed ... unscrew the bands and then under cool running water , wash clean the jar threads , tops and bands ... rinse off any / all pickle , jam , jelly whatever residue that some how ends up on the inside bands and jar threads during the processing ... these residues cause rust and promote sticking ... cleaned off , no rust and much easier opening .

Not all jar opening wrenches are made equally ... my favorite is a big cast iron model with teeth , probably 100 yrs old , found at flea market ... but the Norpro Jar Opening Wrench or the Cookwise Mason Jar Opener are about as good as you will find in the newly made category , try one or both of them ... but the best are cast iron with teeth to grip ... maybe E-Bay !

I found by washing clean the band and jar threads , drying and replacing bands . they would come off easy .
    My Mom would just remove the bands and store the jars without a band on it , just sit them on the shelf , sealed lid , no band .
    After opening a jar she would then put a band on ...but I was never that hard pressed for money and preferred to store jars with a band ... but mom was 1930's Depression Era - Dirt Poor raised .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

My mother removed the rings and used them on the next batch.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    The problem is in the interface of the ring and the lid. Use a thin tool to get under the ring on top of the jar. Turn the jar after inserting the tool between the ring and the lid. This should reduce the surface area held by the ring.

Boolit Master

This year, store your jars without the bands. Not necessary and prevents corrosion on the bands

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    An ounce of prevention.... after making your pickles , (or whatever you are "canning") and after the jars have cooled and the jars have sealed ... unscrew the bands and then under cool running water , wash clean the jar threads , tops and bands ... rinse off any / all pickle , jam , jelly whatever residue that some how ends up on the inside bands and jar threads during the processing ... these residues cause rust and promote sticking ... cleaned off , no rust and much easier opening .

Not all jar opening wrenches are made equally ... my favorite is a big cast iron model with teeth , probably 100 yrs old , found at flea market ... but the Norpro Jar Opening Wrench or the Cookwise Mason Jar Opener are about as good as you will find in the newly made category , try one or both of them ... but the best are cast iron with teeth to grip ... maybe E-Bay !

I found by washing clean the band and jar threads , drying and replacing bands . they would come off easy .
    My Mom would just remove the bands and store the jars without a band on it , just sit them on the shelf , sealed lid , no band .
    After opening a jar she would then put a band on ...but I was never that hard pressed for money and preferred to store jars with a band ... but mom was 1930's Depression Era - Dirt Poor raised .

Gary
    Your mom did it the right way! A bad jar can pop the lid off, if it has a ring it may only partially lose vacuum or if the temp drops in may reseal. And fake you into thinking the product is good...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Your mom did it the right way! A bad jar can pop the lid off, if it has a ring it may only partially lose vacuum or if the temp drops in may reseal. And fake you into thinking the product is good...
    You are absolutely right ... I never thought of that and Mom never explained why she did it . And when I was helping her , we didn't have a freezer so she canned a lot of vegetables , corn , peas , beans , tomatoes things that needed a good vacuum seal to keep properly ... and without the band the lack of a seal would be obvious ...
    I just assumed she was saving money on bands ... Oh No , there was a good reason ... food safety !

Thanks MaryB ... I learned something new today !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Always for us stubborn rings fell to a combination of soaking in very hot water, loosening with a butter knife to break the seal between ring and glass, and a strap wrench.

Worst was some tomato sauce we canned, that glued rings on really really tight. But they will come off.

A sink with about an inch of boiling water, place the jars in upside down, let them soak a while.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I remember my mom doing that 60yrs ago and I've done it many times since. Like you, never had one fail to come off.

Moderator Emeritus

When the neighbors moved, I helped clean out the basement and got some canning jars...some were full and maybe a couple decades old. Some lids were rusted. I used a wirecutter (Dykes) to cut and peal off the ring...be careful to not cut your hands on the sharp metal.

I've always done as Gary suggests, so I've never had a problem with my canned products.
    EXCEPT: I use warm soapy water, just like washing dishes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001