Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger mini 14 and Utimak mount

Boolit Master

Ruger mini 14 and Utimak mount

I have a Ruger mini-14. I'm interested in putting an optic on it. I do not want to use the mount that slips into the cover plate slot--I heard the mount can loosen. I have a 186 serial numbered mini. There is no provision for rings. Any feedback on the following mount is appreciated. Utimak M4-B

Thanks

https://ultimak.com/shop/
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Buddy
    Had one (cover plate) for over 3 decades, not a problem with "loosening". Blue locktite is your friend!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    I haven't done the Mini-14, but have Ultimak rails on an M1 Carbine and two Garands.
    Solid as a rock, definitely the way to go IMO; best of luck & plz post pics if you go that route.

What do you mean by "no provision for rings"? They all have the Picatinny-style clamping grooves on the top.
    I installed two of these in the past, one on an early Mini-14 and one on an M1 Carbine, and both were satisfactory.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    What do you mean by "no provision for rings"? They all have the Picatinny-style clamping grooves on the top.
    Not the early models, which had more dog-ear-style rear sight assembly and nothing on the front receiver.

Picture from anonymous internet...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	315947
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

No experience with the M4-B but if it fits as good as the M6-B you’ll be satisfied.

Boolit Master
    "What do you mean by "no provision for rings"? They all have the Picatinny-style clamping grooves on the top. "

As noted,, not all models have rings, or anything to allow scope mounting. MANY are w/o a scope mount system.

Did you follow the provided link? The photos all show Picatinny grooves.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    If that mount requires drilling the receiver (and it apparently does) be forewarned that Mini 14 (stainless) receivers are VERY hard. I used a carbide drill and broke 2 taps before finally threading the holes for an Accuracy Systems mount which, I might add, works flawlessly. I do not know about blued receivers...

Super Moderator

Then Ultimak clamps to the barrel, and replaces the heat shield. There's no drilling or tapping required. To clear up any previous confusion, some Mini 14's indeed do not have any method of mounting a rail other than the cover plate mount. The Ultimak with integral picatinny rails solves that problem quite well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    If that mount requires drilling the receiver (and it apparently does) be forewarned that Mini 14 (stainless) receivers are VERY hard....
    According to the Ultimax link no drilling / gunsmithing is required.

Boolit Master

I drilled and tapped a stainless Mini 14, it was an early model, brand new at the time. Talk about hard.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

That is not the same mount I used on my 180 series Mini -14 I can not remember the maker I got it for $99 at a gun show .
    It shoots great but did add a lot of weight to the gun . Two parts clamp onto barrel it also seemed to cut down on flyers .
    I use the gun mainly for pest control often at night here in the yard so a scope was needed . The current scope is a AIM with built on laser I have also added one of those green game lights that show out over 200 yards . Not helping the weight a bit! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruger lowres.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	316026
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master

I installed two of these in the past, one on an early Mini-14 and one on an M1 Carbine, and both were satisfactory.

DG
    The OP was referring to the action of earlier Mini 14s not having the integral bases for Ruger rings. I don't think he was referring to the Utimak base. I have a Utimak base on my M1 Carbine and it is great. I also have helped install a couple on other rifles including the Mini 14, all worked great also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Some accessories are just solutions looking for a problem. IMO, Ultimax has knocked it out of the park with their mounts.

Boolit Buddy
    Did you follow the provided link? The photos all show Picatinny grooves.

DG
    He's talking about the receiver of the rifle...The early SNs did not have provisions for the rings built into the RECEIVER.

As to the Ultimak, their stuff is top quality. You will not be disappointed.

O.K., all, I guess I misinterpreted what he was saying. My apologies. Sometimes questions can be worded a bit more specifically, and I've fallen into that trap more than once. I know that the receiver provision for rings did not come along until the advent of the Ranch Rifle. I am rather well versed on the subject of Ultimak and Minis, having installed them on an M1 carbine and a 183-series Mini-14. Proof

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	im004417.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	316040

Sold them both, though. The Mini 14, as a breed, are usually significantly less accurate than the AR-15. Speaking in generalities, of course. But, being an old M14 man, I always found the Mini-14's appearance and Garand-like action to have more appeal, so I did the whole Mini-14 trip. The newer, redesigned models seem much improved.

Some rifles, as sold by the factory, just won't shoot in the same place twice. It usually has to do with the rifle's bedding, but sometimes the barrel itself is at fault. You can shoot all day with the issue receiver sights and be disappointed in the results, and mounting a scope on the receiver won't change the situation much, if at all. The Ultimak shines in that the shot goes where the barrel is pointed, because the optics are mounted on the barrel instead of the receiver. But, you may find as I did, that the barrel mount may improve your results, but not to the point you really desire, which is having a tack driver instead of here and there around the center of the target without tighter groups. That's why mine went down the road. Put it another way, if your rifle is not satisfactorily accurate now, the Ultimak will improve it, but maybe not as much as you would wish. Not the fault of the Ultimak design, but more likely the fault of your barrel's bedding or the barrel itself.

DG

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for your input.

Hiram
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master

….. but more likely the fault of your barrel's bedding or the barrel itself. DG
    Absolutely, and even more true with a barreled action that is secured to the stock by a receiver lug and a barrel band, like the M1 carbine.
    Mine went from minute of paint can to minute of tomato paste can when I finally got the barrel tension correct.

Boolit Buddy
    The Mini-14 can be quite accurate. Just need to keep the front of the op-rod off the gas block when it chambers a round. Yep, that is what I said, had one here that when the action chambered a round the front of the op-rod slammed into the gas block.

Which of course had the barrel pointing in a different direction each time.

So if you have a Mini that can't hit the side of a barn, from the inside, check the clearance between the op-rod and the gas block. And as required, mill off the front of the big block on the front of the op-rod until there is reasonable clearance.

After doing that, swapping the front sight to an M1 style, and re-working the rear peep. Surprised more then a few people on the 100-yard line...

One fellow just couldn't believe how well it shot. As he also had one and gave it away. Was rather stunned when I told him what the issue was. Walked away mumbling to himself.

45_Colt