Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixing Your Truck Is Sometimes Just Doing The Easiest Thing

Boolit Grand Master

Fixing Your Truck Is Sometimes Just Doing The Easiest Thing

Last year I took my F150 to a shop as the engine knock sensor code was on and I just did not have time to pull the intake manifold and fix it.
    They did that just fine and found several other things like a wheel seal and so on which was good. I replaced those myself a couple of years ago with cheap Chinese so don't use those.
    When I got it back the dreaded P0701/704 codes popped, vacuum leak both sides. Uh
    GH
    One thing led to another and I finally got at it. I've learned a lot about running down a vacuum leak. Found a 4wd actuator blown and replaced both but still a leak. Cleaned the throttle body and put in a new gasket, replaced the MAF sensor, 2 vacuum discs, traced all the lines. Finally was pricing new gaskets and intake manifold figuring the shop either cracked the manifold somehow or messed up the gaskets putting it back on.
    Sprayed Carb Cleaner around the front and the fuel trim went negative confirming so got ready to order parts then it occurred to me to loosen all 10 manifold bolts and retighten them.
    Loosened all the bolts then snugged in sequence followed by torquing to spec in sequence.
    Warning light gone, case solved.
    Sometimes just start at the simplest thing.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

That’s more than I care to do. I’m glad it turned out ok for you.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Not too many years ago, none of those things ever gave any trouble because none of that stuff was even on a vehicle.

Sounds like somebody didn't have a inch pounds torque wrench or bothered to look up the tightening sequence.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

My sympathies. Sounds like poor technicians, poor technical training, and potential don't give a..... personality by the shop.

I sent the John Deere in for repairs a month ago; as winter was ending the front right axle locked up and would not move. Dealer took 3 weeks to "Get to It" and assess. Came back with a diagnosis that the Bearing race way had shattered and ball bearings everywhere in the front axle assembly. Authorized ordering parts - two weeks later parts were in and front drive reassembled; call from dealer that the problem was not resolved. Seems that the "Bearing Seat Area" was wallowed out, more problems with the front gearing, and new seals were leaking that they had just put in. Authorized ordering more parts; will be waiting for another two weeks; unfortunately the wet spring/early summer is sponsoring a large "Weed Problem" I will have to address after I get the tractor back.

I have come to expect (not accept and be pleased with) poor Service in all areas of our lives and economy. Sure wish we could go back to a simpler life, people with pride in their work, people with good skills in their work area, and a commitment to Customer Service. I could do much of this work - but buying the reference material (Repair Manuals, etc..) is as costly as having it done.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Good on you for having the patience to figure it out and fix it correctly. Things like that have taught me that if I can at all do a job to do it myself so I know it's either done right or who to blame.

Boolit Master
    "Bearing Seat Area" sounds like a Major Big Deal to GONRA.......
    Basic machine structure - NOT just "R&R".

Boolit Master
    I decided I wanted a 90's era Honda TRX300FW for my first ATV. About bullet proof and owner repairable. I was gifted a '91 that had sat 14 years. Amazing compression and no major leaks. After I got it up and running it started some light smoking out the exhaust so it was time to change the valve seals. I watched some videos of the "pros" disassembling motors and them busting valve cover, exhaust/intake and head bolts left and right going fast with battery impacts. Couldn't believe the ignorance of basic engine rebuilding. All for the sake of speed and appearing they knew what they were doing. Just sad.

I hope you call the shop back and let them know that there was a comeback. This sounds like a failure of workshop practices and a lack of education on behalf of whoever worked on your truck.

They took the intake manifold off to make access and service the knock sensors, and you redoing the torque sequence brought the two halves into alignment and sealed the leak.

A lot of auto shops are super thirsty for technicians and will excuse all kinds of nonsense if they can find a part swapper who comes in every day and does not make too many mistakes.

I'd venture a guess that they used a battery impact to pull it apart AND put it back together. Good shop to stay away from no matter what.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    My sympathies. Sounds like poor technicians, poor technical training, and potential don't give a..... personality by the shop.

I sent the John Deere in for repairs a month ago; as winter was ending the front right axle locked up and would not move. Dealer took 3 weeks to "Get to It" and assess. Came back with a diagnosis that the Bearing race way had shattered and ball bearings everywhere in the front axle assembly. Authorized ordering parts - two weeks later parts were in and front drive reassembled; call from dealer that the problem was not resolved. Seems that the "Bearing Seat Area" was wallowed out, more problems with the front gearing, and new seals were leaking that they had just put in. Authorized ordering more parts; will be waiting for another two weeks; unfortunately the wet spring/early summer is sponsoring a large "Weed Problem" I will have to address after I get the tractor back.

I have come to expect (not accept and be pleased with) poor Service in all areas of our lives and economy. Sure wish we could go back to a simpler life, people with pride in their work, people with good skills in their work area, and a commitment to Customer Service. I could do much of this work - but buying the reference material (Repair Manuals, etc..) is as costly as having it done.

That sounds like it translates to an axle housing to me. Hard for me to understand how that was not seen when the spun race was diaged.

Boolit Master
    This is why I always attempt to fix my own mechanical issues - about the only thing I don’t mess with are air conditioning problems, primarily because I don’t have a set of gauges.

I bought a used JD 2020 about 10 years ago, which lost a sleeve O-ring a few months after I got it home. I had no choice except to either repair it myself or have the local JD franchise do it. For me to overhaul with the head and valves done professionally was about $2200 (at the time) - the dealer wanted $6500. I went ahead on my own and the job turned out fine for several years now - not sure if the dealer could have done a better job and there is no way to know.

A good service tech is worth his/her weight in gold but it’s increasingly rare to find those people nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    - the dealer wanted $6500. I .
    The JD dealer bit me once----- but only once.

I'd never worked on a Diesel before until I needed to overhaul the tractor my Dad let over heat and burn up.

I pulled the head, but couldn't get the three injectors out. So I took it in to their shop.
    I only wanted the old injectors pulled, and buy three new ones along with a couple filters.

When I picked it up, the bill was right at $800.
    Apparently, without looking at the work order, they just ran it through and did a full overhaul on it, new valves, springs & all.

EVERYONE!

I once helped a lady who brought her car to my friend's machine shop for a cracked head. It was an 80's vintage Dodge with the Mitsubishi engine. She had a junkyard head she wanted installed. I had never done that kind of work on an engine, but she was poor and in need, so I prayed over it and went ahead. When I got the head off, there was no apparent crack or warp in the existing head. However, the overhead cam was completely worn out. I looked at the cam on the junkyard head, and it looked pretty good, albeit a high-performance type. I cleaned everything up and installed the junk cam. To my amazement, that car ran like a scalded cat (as my dad would have said.) I plead divine guidance, since there was no way I could have known that this would work.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Finding a mechanic you can trust is getting harder and harder. The one I used for 40 years retired a few years ago so I asked him who was going to do the work on his trucks, He told me and that is who I use now. I am glad your issue had a happy ending.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    I once bought a Dodge Ramcharger that had a bad vacuum leak. So bad it would not stay running under about 2500 RPM.

Guy I bought it from had just swapped the 318 and was transferring off the island. After messing with it for about a month, I sprayed ether all around the intake and vacuum system. Turns out he had forgotten to put back the intake bolt at the rear of the manifold he had pulled to attach the chain hoist. Found a bolt and torqued it goodntight.

4WD didn't work so I sold it for what I had in it.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Sometimes,, the simplest things are the cure.

Everytime I start to work on something,, I reflect upon an event about 40 years ago. A young man,,, in HS,, was in the auto mechanics program. They also competed against other schools. Well, this young man won the State title,, and was sent to the Nationals. If I recall correctly,, he placed either 16th or 19th at the Nationals.
    He told me what cost him a LOT was how he had an engine problem, that he had a hard time diagnosing. It turned out to be just a fouled spark plug. He said; "It was a SIMPLE thing,, that I had overlooked."

Never forgot Kevin telling us about that.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    A young man,,, in HS,, was in the auto mechanics program. They also competed against other schools.
    Dodge sponsored a deal like that for the auto mechanics shop classes when I was in High School.
    They'd line up 10-12 cars that were identical, and had identical problems that they wouldn't start or run right.

It was a hoot to watch as the competitors took off and worked on them.
    Dodge was also there with a 'parts store'. If you took a bad part, say,,, a ignition coil to them, they'd give you a good one.
    However; if you took them a good one to trade in,,,,, they gave you a bad one.

EVERYONE!

"However; if you took them a good one to trade in,,,,, they gave you a bad one."

Must have been interesting to combine the parts cannon with defect parts.

Boolit Master
    I have done my own mechanical since I was 15 or so. About 2 years ago at 72 years old, I had a mechanic I trust replace a torque converter In a dodge 1 ton with the cummins engine. I could have done it myself but not having a garage I could work in, I just didn't want to do it in the dirt driveway. That is the only time I can think of that I have had someone else work on one of my autos.

Lightly spraying starter fluid around the engine is an easy way to find a vacuum leak.