Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What caliber for this critter?

What caliber for this critter?

We are enduring a plague of these things this year. Western Montana was really dry, I don't know if that's the reason for so many trying to get in this fall or not. We call them stinkbugs but a farmer I know down south set me straight: Leptoglossus occidentalis, the Western Conifer seed bug is from the Coreidae family. They are known as "leaf footed bugs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leafbug.jpg  

Boolit Man
    Nothing smaller than a 50bmg!

Boolit Master

I also have a bunch of what looks like the same BUG here in NW Ohio
    I use a Size 12 Boot to kill them

We also call them Stink Bugs

But IMO they are not hard to kill
    But you want at least a little range
    So I use the FAL and 7.62 x 51 Cast loads

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    We have them in Minnesota, along with mosquitoes and boxelder bugs. I spray the vertical sides of house and fences with BIFEN I/T, Insecticide / terrmiciticde, contact killer, I am careful with this for I also have an orchard and want the bee's, but get rid of most of the mosquitoes and keep dogs safe.

That's nothing. In Texas we have bugs ten times bigger than that. But I tell you what I will do. I will trade you those bugs for our Fire Ants.

All kidding aside. Be careful with the poison or you will have a bigger problem. Envirognats. They fly in and tell you how we are ruining the Earth!

ACC

Boolit Man

I'd try something out of the bug-a-salt lineup, maybe the shred-er, they look kinda thick skinned.

Boolit Grand Master

What I find funny is you are up in Alberton , Mt. and I'm down South in Louisiana ...
    We have the same (or similar) bugs and have for my whole life known them as "Stink Bugs" ...
    Seems like them things live everywhere throughout North America .
    In warm climates , like La. , they winter outdoors but in cold winter states they come inside and winter in any crevice they can find ... come spring they come out , inside your house and look for a way out to the outdoors to carry on the cycle of life .
    Don't stomp em ... they Stink !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Stink bug, squash bug. Pain in the ass. Kill all you see.

Galena Guru

They are everywhere , PITA
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

The most I've seen too. A flyswatter gets them on the ground but I give them the svengoolie stomp. They are juicy. Malathion in a sprayer for contact killing.

Along with these are Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs. Much more destructive than the conifer seed bug. They attacked our tomatoes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF4492.JPG  

Whatever ya do--- stay up wind, and away from open windows and doors.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I'd recommend a 2.0" double ended gas-operated, select-fire rubber mallet.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    Bugs will be here after we blow the earth up.

Cannot help with this particular insect. Your local university or the DNR may be able to.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I find a good double 10ga works great but the wife isn't happy about the holes it leaves in the walls and furniture here in Indy.

Moderator Emeritus

Hate those damn things. If fireplace is going then that is where they go or they get put on a price of paper or something and walked outside. Throw them to the ground and squash em. I did spray my crawl and porch last year and it did make a huge difference this year. Hate the damn Asian lady bugs too. They bite.

Boolit Bub
    We have them here in Eastern Indiana.....I find them mildly irritating but I'll take em I over chiggers and ticks.......I've. Ever noticed a smell from them even tho everyone calls them stinkbugs

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We have them bad up here in the Flathead, too. It puzzles me how they seem to appear by magic.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Bugs will be here after we blow the earth up.

Cannot help with this particular insect. Your local university or the DNR may be able to.
    I've heard it said that after "the Big One" the only things that would survive would be ...
    cockroaches and Keith Richards !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    We have them in Minnesota, along with mosquitoes and boxelder bugs. I spray the vertical sides of house and fences with BIFEN I/T, Insecticide / terrmiciticde, contact killer, I am careful with this for I also have an orchard and want the bee's, but get rid of most of the mosquitoes and keep dogs safe.
    Bifen I\T is the only thing I've tried so far that killed the box elder bugs. I have them bad here in Mi. Sadly. it also killed the crickets living around the garage. I don't mind them much. They do no harm and I kind of like hearing them chirping at night when I'm putzing out in the garage.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy
    Wait till you get spotted lanternfly goes from having none to millions if you have tree of heaven the lantern flies love them covered from ground to top.Both gifts from China