MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Erratic ignition with 296 in .44 magnum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Unburned powder, boolit stuck in bore with unburned powder in a colum behind it, noticeable variations in report and recoil. Only with this boolit.
    That tells me too much space in the case.

Boolit Buddy
    Need more powder. Your 265 is longer and you are using more powder. Try going up as 296 doesn’t like to rattle around a lot. Primers are likely weak as compared to some. A cci 350 is hottest of all pistol primers. Even rivals some rifle primers. But it should even out just going up

Unburned powder, boolit stuck in bore with unburned powder in a colum behind it, noticeable variations in report and recoil. Only with this boolit.
    This is an ignition problem, which can be

1. a blocked flash hole
    2. an unsuitable primer

If you're sure the flash holes are not the issue, use a hotter primer.

No source of hotter primers just now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    A kicker charge of Bullseye could help you out and let you stay with your Wolf primers.
    Bullseye is my favorite for kicking slow ball powders in large revolver cases. It works well bc it has a high nitroglycerin content and burns hotter than other fast powders. It’s a gem at getting you a fast bump in temperature and also pressure. Both of which you need for ignition.

I’d start at a half grain and work up a couple of tenths at a time. Ill bet your ignition smooths out somewhere before 1.5 grains.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

I'm going to give the Lee 310 a try

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Magnum primers are recommended for 296 powder. Standard primers may cause poor ignition of the powder.

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    Magnum primers are recommended for 296 powder. Standard primers may cause poor ignition of the powder.
    Haven't until I tried the one boolit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    I have used Standard Primers with both W296 and H110. But the loading density was near full power load. If It were me I would increase the load some. With the Hornady 300 XTP LOADED LONG 22.5 grains W296/H110 isn't to much with a WLP primer. And it got withing 5 or 6 fos the same velocity and the same bullet LOADED SHORT with 19.5 with all other component the same and chronoed back to back.
    Go forth and experiment to get a satisfying answer. A Chrono is handy.

Boolit Master
    Haven't until I tried the one boolit.

And that’s why they recommended them…..just for that reason.

If it is a bullet size issue, why can’t it be seated deeper, or put some cornmeal filler on top of the powder to compress the powder?

Try a filler to keep the powder against the flash hole. I have loaded as low as 19 grns. of 296 (W/O a filler) and using CCI standard primers with a 240 grain bullet and never had a problem.

I have heard that the Wolf primers have the hardest cup on the market. Just hearsay. I don't know if that would be the cause or not.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

No source of hotter primers just now.

If that's the conundrum I wouldn't waste any further primers, 296 or the bullets trying to make it work. It's very apparent you have an ignition problem simply because the primers you have aren't capable with 296. I'd shift to a powder more suitable to the primers you have [2400, 4227 readily come to mind]. May not get the performance 296 would give but you'll be shooting instead of being frustrated. Just saying what I would do.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    If it is a bullet size issue...
    Bullet size has nothing to do with powder ignition.

Even if you had no bullet, just a wad to hold the powder, powder should burn.

Loaded Lee 310 in bottom crimp groove over 21 of 296. Good results. Added bonus is that the gun reminds me, through the trigger guard and my middle finger, to use a proper grip.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I had a couple of stuck cases with a seized bolt handle in my 77/44 using a max load of W296 a few years ago. When I got home I tested my digital RCBS scale I bought new in 2000’ it was jumping the weight up and down like a Yo Yo. Ordered a charge master lite and have had no stuck casings after that. My group with that load opened up with the new scale. What ever mystery charge I had in it shot great till I couldn’t lift my bolt handle.

I had inconsistent ignition also. My guess is it was from not cleaning out the hole on my shell holder. I found a greasy build up in it. My guess is it was from my done away practice of spraying WD-40 on my cases before FL sizing. I’m guessing it left residue in the shell holder and when I seated primers it soaked into them. I had a few fail to fires with primers not igniting.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-08-2022 at 06:31 PM.

Super Moderator

I use 21.5 grains of W296 with the 44 Cal Lee 310 in my Super Blackhawk. I use Federal F150 (non-magnum) primers and put a really good crimp on them. I have never had any ignition problems, and the load is quite accurate and powerful. And yeah, you need to have a good grip on your gun with it! It will get your attention for sure, and I would not recommend this load for S&W model 29's.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Bullet size has nothing to do with powder ignition.

Even if you had no bullet, just a wad to hold the powder, powder should burn.
    Sorry, I was speaking of size in reference to its length (seating depth), not diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    Use a Winchester Large Pistol Primer. Your issue will go away. About 15 years ago I bought a case of Wolf Large Rifle Primers. Had the same issue in 308, 30-06 case capacity sized cartridges. Using medium to slow rifle powders. Never stuck a bullet. A large number of hang fires and different sounding reports though. Relegated those to cast loads with fast burning pistol powders. Their Small Rifle Magnum primers produce the smallest groups I ever shot in a 223. Go figure.
    Rick

Had similar problem in my 45 Colt Blackhawk. Magnum primer fixed it
    Last edited by Castaway; 05-10-2022 at 06:05 AM.