MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ingots?

Boolit Bub

Ingots?

Its been 20 years since I cast bullets. Being older, wiser and perhaps mostly a little more discretionary funds, I’ve jumped back in with a Master Caster. I’ve got a lot of raw linotype. Based on what I am reading, it appears the accepted practice is to make ingots and then use those in your caster. The ingots themselves are processed in a separate melter. Is this so you’re running a “dirty” and “clean” pot? Processing the raw pb and fluxing in a dirty pot to keep the crud out of the casting pot?

Matt

Boolit Grand Master

It’s because crud clogs bottom pour spouts leading to all sorts of frustration. "Smelting" (cleaning/mixing) pots are generally just a steel or cast iron pot and alloy is ladled out of the top to cast ingots.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by swOhioMatt View Post
    Is this so you’re running a “dirty” and “clean” pot? Processing the raw pb and fluxing in a dirty pot to keep the crud out of the casting pot?
    Matt
    Partially. Since so many casters use scrap from a variety of convenient sources it certainly helps to keep all the dirt, oxides, and various whatevers out of your casting pot.

It also makes sense to do your primary melting in as large a pot as possible, to minimize the work and homogenize your stockpile. I do my scrap melting in a 100kg pot, pouring it out into 1kg ingots that fit easily into a Lee 20-pound casting pot. A single afternoon with the big pot creates enough ingots to keep me casting for a few years.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

I make ingots separately.
    Some are pure Lead, some are specific like wheel weights, some are the hard stuff with more goodies.

When I get ready for a run, I'll add them into the pot as a ratio,
    or sometimes mix several for a batch to add and know when I refill the pot they are all the same.

Starting from start to finish doing the separation of trash, hard initial fluxing, etc. then cast is beyond frustrating.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    ...I’ve got a lot of raw linotype. Based on what I am reading, it appears the accepted practice is to make ingots and then use those in your caster. The ingots themselves are processed in a separate melter. Is this so you’re running a “dirty” and “clean” pot? Processing the raw pb and fluxing in a dirty pot to keep the crud out of the casting pot?
    Matt
    For years all I had was linotype from a press room, caked with ink. Not knowing any better, I melted it, fluxed it, scraped a copious layer of debris from the top of the pot, then cast from the same pot using a dipper. Then I read what the original poster apparently read and found I had done it all wrong. The bullets, unaware of their ignoble origin, worked perfectly.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I make ingots separately.
    Some are pure Lead, some are specific like wheel weights,
    I have done the same... But have discovered that permeant maker is not permeant on pure lead, and my dumb butt piled them in the same bucket.

Some of the scrap I have used is incredibly dirty, and produces a great amount of dross on top to be removed. The design of common bottom pour pots, with valve stems etc. on top of the pot would make it extremely difficult to scoop all the dross out. Also, with a large amount of lino, you may find it beneficial to go ahead and make up an alloy to fit your purposes, and store them separately. I mark my ingots by scratching with a screwdriver or equivalent.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

Its been 20 years since I cast bullets. Being older, wiser and perhaps mostly a little more discretionary funds, I’ve jumped back in with a Master Caster. I’ve got a lot of raw linotype. Based on what I am reading, it appears the accepted practice is to make ingots and then use those in your caster. The ingots themselves are processed in a separate melter. Is this so you’re running a “dirty” and “clean” pot? Processing the raw pb and fluxing in a dirty pot to keep the crud out of the casting pot?

Matt
    I would say you have a pretty good grasp on this. By using a separate pot you keep the trash out of the spout of your casting pot. And you can do larger batches for a more consistent alloy. I do batches of 350 to 400 pounds and mark the container with the date. Some see this as an extra unnecessary step while others feel its the best way.

A few years ago I started using steel stamps to mark my ingots after seeing plastic buckets fail and sharpie marks fading.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I do batches of 350 to 400 pounds and mark the container with the date.
    Thanks all for the replies.

A follow up question, what are you using to process the ingots? I’ve looked around and large capacity melters are stupid expensive. There must be something that can process 100 pounds at a time and not have to mortgage the house.

BattleRif, you mentioned a 100 kilo pot. What heat source do you use?

Matt
    Last edited by swOhioMatt; 03-03-2022 at 06:54 AM.

A follow up question, what are you using to process the ingots? I’ve looked around and large capacity melters are stupid expensive. There must be something that can process 100 pounds at a time and not have to mortgage the house.
    You could either make this yourself, of pay someone to make it for you. Either way it'll cost less than what you paid for the Master Caster.

I made mine because sometimes the scrap is from lead sheeting, or of a size that is a lot of effort to cut smaller.

https://ysterhout.net/docs/melter/index.html

Boolit Man

Matt

A turkey burner ($70-80 at lowes) and a $4 cast iron pan, with a $2 steel soup ladle and a $5 cast iron corn cob shaped corn bread for an ingot mold seems to work just fine. I also use a muffin pan for stuff I plan to store longer and use the corn bread one for stuff I plan on using more immediately.
    If I had a bigger Dutch oven I could fit a whole lot more in but I can usually melt down a 5 gallon buckets worth of WW in about 1.5-2 hours.

Boolit Bub
    Turkey fryer! Perfect. Never crossed my mind, thanksgiving dinner is always cooked in the pellet smoker.

Matt

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Two pots has been the way to go for me for many years . My pot for melting scrap is a section of thick wall pipe with a bottom welded to it and is fired by a mixer bar from an industrial water heater . It uses propane and a large single stage regulator . It holds about six hundred pounds , lead is ladled out into ingot molds from one to twenty pounds .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

One way to answer to the OP question may be, melt (say) one hundred pounds (+ or -) of alloy components in a large pot, (say) a 25-gallon propane tank cut in two, over a turkey frier (that's my way anyway). Carefully pour 2 to 3 pound ingots (when cold).

Once you are heated up and well into your boolit casting session, with boolits coming out of your hot mold in the quality way they were intended, it is useful to melt and prep a lesser/equal quantity pot of the same alloy, including cooled spru cut offs, then, when the 1st pot is depleted, change to making boolits from the 2nd pot of now hot alloy, so the casting session is not interrupted. Refill the first pot with spru and cold ingots to heat up in the meantime.

The introduction of cold ingots (or sprus) in a single pot effectively "kills" the heat, stops production, and starts the whole heat process over again. A lot of time is wasted (or maybe taking a break is useful) in getting the mold and melt back up to the previous production temperature. It is easier to STAY at production temperature, or much closer thereto, by melting ingots and sprus in another pot.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 03-03-2022 at 10:13 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Matt
    The link that 414gates posted shows a nice 1st class set-up. If you are at the beginning of your casting career and plan to stay with it that would be a nice way to go. If you want to go with a simpler set-up a large Harbor Freight Dutch Oven heated on a Turkey Fryer will work ok. Many guys on here use an old 20# Propane tank cut off to the height that you want for a pot. You will also need a ladle of some sort and something to skim the junk off the top with. I use a nice ladle from Rowell and a solid and slotted one piece spoon from Walmart. And ingot molds. I have found that the bigger the melting pot the more ingot molds that you need, or you will be waiting for them to cool.

What heat source do you use?
    Gasoline fired Coleman stoves will work too, but you're encouraged to have a rack over it to support the weight.

I've seen pictures of them with re-bar rods going across cinder block bricks with the stove under it.
    Also, wind screens or something else to focus the heat up into the bottom of your pot is helpful
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Harbor Freight sells a Dutch oven that will hold 100 pounds easily. Turkey fryers are a common heat source. I recommend buying a good iron ladle meant for the purpose as opposed to repurposing a soup ladle.

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Harbor Freight sells a Dutch oven that will hold 100 pounds easily. Turkey fryers are a common heat source. I recommend buying a good iron ladle meant for the purpose as opposed to repurposing a soup ladle.

although I have a dutch oven (10” 4.5 qt) I just checked Harbor Freight and am mildly amazed that a 6qt, 12” pot is only $25. amazing that a pot that size with lid costs less than cast iron ingot molds. makes ya think lyman and rcbs are sticking it to us.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    although I have a dutch oven (10” 4.5 qt) I just checked Harbor Freight and am mildly amazed that a 6qt, 12” pot is only $25. amazing that a pot that size with lid costs less than cast iron ingot molds. makes ya think lyman and rcbs are sticking it to us.
    In defense of Lyman and RCBS, the HF Dutch ovens are as cheaply made as man can make them. The first one I had split straight up the side the instant heat hit it. I thank God the lead in it was still cold. HF replaced the pot without further issue. The one pictured has melted a few thousand pounds and is still going strong.

Boolit Master
    I think a mild steel vessel like an air or propane tank is the way to go. A round bottom helps when dipping out lead for ingots and there are no worries about them cracking. You can find a good propane turkey fryer on Amazon for cheap.