MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Mil surp / pulldown powder question

Mil surp / pulldown powder question

Quick question on the subject. How long does it usually take for it to restock? Been eyeing two places for a while now and no luck.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Have no idea. Watch GI Brass if you're not.

Boolit Master

and/or Pat's Reloading. It's there when it's there in today's conditions.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Good advice above and a list along with the 2 previous mentioned sites , but the best days of surplus powders are gone .

Look at some of the prices and what is in stock , it is not the bargain it used to be .

I have used it off and on , the slow stuff works in overbore calibers , large case small diameter , it does take some research and some working up loads , starting low and seeing what works .

Good luck finding what you are looking for .

Boolit Buddy
    I placed an order for WC872 with gibrass in April. Expected shipping time was 9-10 weeks. I received said order first week in October. Service was good, product was great. This is just how things are right now.

Banned
    The powder is there it is a logistics problem CDVS has my order from august talked to em every 2 weeks nobody is shipping.

Boolit Buddy
    It is entire logistics, Jeff from GI Brass had said he is limited to shipping 200lb of powder per day. He is shipping the maximum he can. The trouble is when everyone is ordering a case of 6x8lb = 48lb per order, so only 3 or 4 orders can go out per day. I noticed the shipped weight on my order was 54lb. This is why there is a 6+ month backlog.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    It is entire logistics, Jeff from GI Brass had said he is limited to shipping 200lb of powder per day. He is shipping the maximum he can. The trouble is when everyone is ordering a case of 6x8lb = 48lb per order, so only 3 or 4 orders can go out per day. I noticed the shipped weight on my order was 54lb. This is why there is a 6+ month backlog.
    Why is there is a limit on how much a retailer can ship? Can he supply the reason that can be verified? I doubt a place like Powder Valley has such restrictions or they would not sell powder. Something does not make sense.
    Don Verna

Why is there is a limit on how much a retailer can ship? Can he supply the reason that can be verified? I doubt a place like Powder Valley has such restrictions or they would not sell powder. Something does not make sense

dverna, you need to re-think what you stated above. If powder valley had a 200 pound shipping restriction per day. At 30 dollars per pound that would be 6 thousand dollars in sales and would be selling powder. It sounds like the shippers have placed restrictions on sellers in order to accommodate more sellers per truck load.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Quick question on the subject. How long does it usually take for it to restock? Been eyeing two places for a while now and no luck.
    The liquidators that sell milsurp pull-down powder are at the whim of what the Government is currently selling...and when the Government decides to sell. So the answer could be tomorrow or never or somewhere in between.

I'd love to see GiBrass get some more of that Alcan powder that was very close to SR4759, I wish I bought more than 3 jugs when it was available, as I am fairly sure it'll never show up again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

This is what I am told regarding hazmat shipments which are enforced by the Department of Transportation
    Individual shipments 25 lbs
    200lbs is the gross number of pounds an individual DOT vehicle (fedex/ups may transport (without going to the next level of classification like "class A Explosive" ) or whatever the next level is ...but the company insurance carriers will not allow fedex/ups to placard a vehicle or haul the next level up
    SO...if you have a powder guy sitting in a large metro area where he can get 2 or 3 pickups a day from a carrier who then has multiple over the road trucks going multiple different directions he can ship as many 200lb pick ups a day as he can get then to pick up
    Conversely ...a powder guy siting in a rural area is screwed in that he can only get one 200lb outbound shipment a day because the rural collection point has only one over the road truck going to the big city hub and it has the same 200lb limitation that the local pick up and delivery units have
    This I pieced together after ordering a new Lee Pro 4 20 pot , 5 lbs of powder and 1000 primers ...I got the shipment 3 weeks after it was ordered (Shipped the day after I ordered) finally somewhere in the tail end of the wait a "new" girl filled me in ..I say new because she did not know her job was to keep selling and no talking I guess

Anyway it makes sense as I know DOT is crazy tuff on ANY hazmat stuff

DISCLAIMER: this info and 50 cents will not get you a cup of coffee

Bear

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenbear View Post
    This is what I am told regarding hazmat shipments which are enforced by the Department of Transportation
    Individual shipments 25 lbs
    200lbs is the gross number of pounds an individual DOT vehicle (fedex/ups may transport (without going to the next level of classification like "class A Explosive" ) or whatever the next level is ...but the company insurance carriers will not allow fedex/ups to placard a vehicle or haul the next level up
    SO...if you have a powder guy sitting in a large metro area where he can get 2 or 3 pickups a day from a carrier who then has multiple over the road trucks going multiple different directions he can ship as many 200lb pick ups a day as he can get then to pick up
    Conversely ...a powder guy siting in a rural area is screwed in that he can only get one 200lb outbound shipment a day because the rural collection point has only one over the road truck going to the big city hub and it has the same 200lb limitation that the local pick up and delivery units have
    This I pieced together after ordering a new Lee Pro 4 20 pot , 5 lbs of powder and 1000 primers ...I got the shipment 3 weeks after it was ordered (Shipped the day after I ordered) finally somewhere in the tail end of the wait a "new" girl filled me in ..I say new because she did not know her job was to keep selling and no talking I guess

Anyway it makes sense as I know DOT is crazy tuff on ANY hazmat stuff

DISCLAIMER: this info and 50 cents will not get you a cup of coffee

Bear
    Thanks for sharing that information. It is understandable that the carrier may have a load restriction. A retailer could use FedEx, UPS and DHL and sell 600 lbs a day if need be.

It did not make sense that the retailer would have a restriction from the research I did when looking into getting HazMat certification.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Why is there is a limit on how much a retailer can ship?
    Got to be a DOT thing about how much of each kind of a HAZMAT item can be on one truck without special permits or placards.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.