Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would happen?

What would happen?

I was just wondering what would happen if you shot a 270 out or a 30-06? I have both. Thanks
    Dean

Boolit Buddy
    You would miss what you're aiming at!

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    You would have some funny looking brass!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

You'll fire form the brass to one degree or another, and with so much pressure loss from 'blow by',
    the bullet would probably fall out of the air in about 75 yards.

For a similar result- check out the youtube videos of the guy firing a .50BMG in a 12 ga. shotgun.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Like a 5.56 out of a 300blackout.
    Now the other way around might be explosive if it seats.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    Several years ago I was waiting on a bench at the range on a busy day when deer hunters were sighting in. One fellow was shooting a bolt action rifle that just didn't sound right when he fired it. It made a slight ringing sound like when we were kids and threw firecrackers into a culvert pipes.

When he and his partner left I immediately picked up the shiney once-fired brass and found that he had fired a full box of .25/06 in a .30/06 rifle. Same headspace so they fired just fine; they just sounded funny.

I was using a chronograph on some loads for 6.5 Creedmoor, then changed rifles to 260 Rem, but forgot to change ammo boxes. Since they both shoot .264 bullets, it hit what I was aiming at, but the brass came out pretty odd looking with such a short neck.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Boolit Master
    2nd from the right is a 308 fired in a 308 Norma Magnum chamber, the bullet cleared the barrel.

Left 44Mag in a 45 Colt chamber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brass.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I sat next to a 270 Win round shot in a Ruger #1 7mm Mag.

.270 bullet hit the 100 yard target within 3" of the 7mm group without any apparent yawing.

Didn't even know anything was wrong until he try to eject the case and only a case head fell out.

Best part was 30 minutes before I had cautioned him to beware of my accedently putting one of my 7mm Mauser in his .270, his response was " why would I do a stupid thing like that?"

No gas back, nothing even sounded wrong, bolt opened just fine, removed the rest of the case with a oversized brass brush from the breach then returned to shooting, I was convinced at that point of the integrity of the Ruger #1 action.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not quite a .270 in a .30-06, but I fired a 7x57 in an 8x57 rifle one time, on purpose. Result? a fireformed 8x57 Mauser case, then I bought the rifle and turned it into a .25-06.

As long as the case headspaces correctly, and the projectile isn't too big for the bore; there really isn't much danger. Projectile too big, DANGER WILL ROBINSON.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I actually know of a deer hunter who did fire a .270 round in a 30-06 many years ago,, at a nice 8-pt buck. Killed the buck, but his gun locked up, and he couldn't open it. I had to tap the bolt handle to get it to open, then we had to freeze the action, and tap out the expanded brass.

I use that story in my Hunter Safety classes.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I actually know of a deer hunter who did fire a .270 round in a 30-06 many years ago,, at a nice 8-pt buck. Killed the buck, but his gun locked up, and he couldn't open it. I had to tap the bolt handle to get it to open, then we had to freeze the action, and tap out the expanded brass.

I use that story in my Hunter Safety classes.
    Apparently the buck couldn't tell the difference
    What could possibly go wrong?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    Like a 5.56 out of a 300blackout.
    Now the other way around might be explosive if it seats.
    Depending on the load it becomes long and skinny.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a small collection of brass fired in the wrong chamber. Cartridges like a 308 fired in a 30-06 chamber, 300 Winchester fired in a 300 Weatherby chamber, ect. They make for some interesting conversation pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Not quite a .270 in a .30-06, but I fired a 7x57 in an 8x57 rifle one time, on purpose. Result? a fireformed 8x57 Mauser case, then I bought the rifle and turned it into a .25-06.

As long as the case headspaces correctly, and the projectile isn't too big for the bore; there really isn't much danger. Projectile too big, DANGER WILL ROBINSON.

Robert
    This^^^^
    As a youth, I put on eye and ear protection and made .250 Savage cases by firing 22-250 ammo, 7mm-08 by firing .243 ammo, .35 Whelen by firing 30-06 ammo, and even .358 Norma by firing 7mm Rem mag ammo.
    I'm not recommending it; but the hard to get( at the time) brass was formed just fine and my brothers and my rifles got fed.
    Component bullets, primers and powder were much cheaper than forming dies back then. .250 brass was hard to find for some reason, the 7mm-08 was brand new, the Whelen was still a wildcat, and .358 Norma ammo was more than a buck a round- if you could even find it.
    We did give the guns a good cleaning after the fireforming and I don't remember them being overly dirty.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Nowadays we'd complain about the waste of hard-to-get bullets, but fire forming cases to neck them up has always worked, I prefer cream of wheat as it's cheaper though.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    You'll fire form the brass to one degree or another, and with so much pressure loss from 'blow by',

For a similar result- check out the youtube videos of the guy firing a .50BMG in a 12 ga. shotgun.
    Fire forming brass for his new Wildcat Rifle ?
    That boy has a bad case of the screaming stoopids .
    Don't you just love the U-Tube Experts !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

270 in a 30-06, not much. Had a hunting buddy decades ago who put a 308 down a 270, handed me the spent case, virtually straight wall, and said "guess what I did". Said recoil was heavier than normal and bolt was very stiff when trying to extract the case but subsequent inspection by gunsmith confirmed no damage to rifle.

Two things involved that never, ever should be, one alcohol, and two, carrying 308 rounds in his coat pocket while hunting with a 270. He was very lucky.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    For a start you would turn .270 brass into .30-06 brass. Pressure would be lower, but don't underestimate the power of what comes out the barrel.

A long time ago I was in need of some extra 30-30 brass and nowhere near a source of supply. I was given some .22 Savage ammo. It blew out just fine. I used it (the .22 Savage ammo that is) for finishing pigs that were less than 100% dead - muzzle a foot or so from the head. Worked just like the real stuff.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 07-17-2021 at 08:17 AM.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Master

Nothing good, but nothing bad either-probably.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!