Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press Shell holders.

Boolit Buddy

Press Shell holders.

Do all presses take the same shell holders? I ran across a couple presses today for a good price but I know nothing about them. One is a Lyman and it looks like it should be the same holders. The other I am not sure about. It is green sorta like a RCBS but the way it works up and down if different than what I am use to. It has a couple small levers that connect to the shaft a handle by a pin and the pin is missing. $20 for the Lyman and $29 for the other so you really can't go wrong.

Some of the old Lyman took screw in proprietary shell holders.

Boolit Buddy
    I will look for threads on the Lyman then.

The other press, maybe an rcbs summit press? I know there was another company that made them before rcbs took it over.

I'd buy both though at those prices.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    The other press, maybe an rcbs summit press? I know there was another company that made them before rcbs took it over.

I'd buy both though at those prices.
    I did today. The RCBS is a JR2. Have not ID'd the Lyman yet but it takes a regular shell holder. RCBS had a #3 shell holder and Primer tab with it so I think I did well.

Boolit Master
    You did exceptionally well!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Pictures help.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

You lucky dawg. Congratulations. RCBS will help get the parts needed, likely free of charge.

Boolit Buddy
    I have contacted RCBS electronically. If that don't work I will call them. If the picture loads here is the Lyman.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4153.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	275094

Boolit Buddy
    Here is the RCBSClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4156.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	275095

That's a Lyman crusher II. Been looking for a reasonable priced one a while myself. No particular reason, I just like the way they look compared to a Rockchucker.

[QUOTE=jjamna;5078660]Do all presses take the same shell holders?

Pretty much.
    I've had Hornady & RCBS presses, and they'd accept any other major brand shell holder I had.
    The only problem I had was the hole in the old Lee shell holders was too small for the primer ram to come through
    unless ya reamed it out a little.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    That's a Lyman crusher II. Been looking for a reasonable priced one a while myself. No particular reason, I just like the way they look compared to a Rockchucker.
    I sure like the looks of it. Have not used it yet. I hate to be a pest but I ran across a Lyman D7 Scale today. Price was $20 or $25 . It was in a glass case (I couldn't look at it ) and was in the original box so I don't know if everything was there. I really don't need a scale but I didn't NEED anymore presses either. Is that a grab it and run price or should I leave it for someone who needs one?. If I go I will take a check weight with me.

If it's like new is a pretty good price, if it shows any wear then it's bout normal, maybe a bit below normal. I'd probably buy it if I had the extra money at the time just to have a spare scale. I only have one, an RCBS 505.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a RCBS 505 and a Pact scale with dispenser, so I really don't need one. I think I will take my check weight and have a look at it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jjamna View Post
    I sure like the looks of it. Have not used it yet. I hate to be a pest but I ran across a Lyman D7 Scale today. Price was $20 or $25 . It was in a glass case (I couldn't look at it ) and was in the original box so I don't know if everything was there. I really don't need a scale but I didn't NEED anymore presses either. Is that a grab it and run price or should I leave it for someone who needs one?. If I go I will take a check weight with me.
    I would buy that D7 for that if it was in nice shape . Mine is about 45 years old and still works great .
    I have had several other beam scales and always go back to the Lyman . My trust in it may come from having used it so much it's like an old friend , and it still checks out nearly perfect in the range of powder charges it is used on.

Banned

I think the industry has been standardized on shell holders for 50 years or so. I have two old Herters and a Lachmiller that use a different style, and a Lyman all American that uses still another. For a while, I used a Pacific I had to change rams out in between calibers.

Did great on two great presses. Goes to show deals are still around to be had.

Banned
    1955 was the year shellholders began to standardize. That year RCBS introduced their new shellholder and didn't put a patent on it. It quickly became the industry standard. Really, it's just a scaled-down Lachmiller shellholder to fit the now standard Pacific ram.

Boolit Buddy
    I need the 2 Allen bolts on the top, in front of the die hole, that is for accessories. They seem to be the same size as the RCBS but different thread count. One out of the RCBS would not thread in it. Anyone know what size I need to buy?