Quote Originally Posted by Led View Post
    I would buy one in 357 Max.

Later,
    Stephen
    Me, too!
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    This is exactly the opposite of how I feel. What advantage is offered by top eject? I can name the following disadvantages. Either you can't or it is difficult to mount optics in the usual way. It allows snow and rain to drop into your action. It pops hot brass straight up in the air which likes to fall down your shirt. I have an angle-ejecting Mossberg 464. I greatly prefer the Marlin/Henry design, personally. I could never abide by the hokey tube loading method of the Henry. For about 6 years I've been writing letters say put a side gate on the steel ones at least. They finally have and I will buy one. Probably a 44.
    Thank you and others for your diligence.

Boolit Bub
    In addition to the side gate, Henry has sped up the twist rate on some models.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Never had one, but could never understand what the big deal was about them not having a side gate. Just a different set up, learn to use it, no problem.

Too many purists out there who can't think beyond "this is the way it's supposed to be".
    ahhhhhrgghh we like what we like because we like it - wheres the problem with that? I happen to like top eject winchesters - I think scopes belong on bolt guns which are a tool (like a hammer or a shovel, made to do a job) if you gave me a marlin or a henry I would sell it tomorrow and put the cash towards the next top eject winchester clone - there are blokes out there that think flat top lever guns are the ants pants - not me - I dont like em - for no particular reason I can think of - just dont like em - why should that offend the bloke that dont like Winchesters ???? .....lighten up here boys we are playing.... Chose whatever colour toy takes your fancy and enjoy it while you can - it wont last forever (the toy might but there are people out there intent on seeing playtime halted).

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    This is exactly the opposite of how I feel. What advantage is offered by top eject? I can name the following disadvantages. Either you can't or it is difficult to mount optics in the usual way. It allows snow and rain to drop into your action. It pops hot brass straight up in the air which likes to fall down your shirt. I have an angle-ejecting Mossberg 464. I greatly prefer the Marlin/Henry design, personally. I could never abide by the hokey tube loading method of the Henry. For about 6 years I've been writing letters say put a side gate on the steel ones at least. They finally have and I will buy one. Probably a 44.
    Top eject with allows me to catch my brass and set it in a tray when shooting Lever Action Silhouette . I do not believe that I could catch brass from a side elect.

I have personally seen a magazine tube explosion on the firing line. The shooter was dropping 45 Colt rounds nearly straight down into the tube. Two rounds discharged. Damaged the rifle and shooter. He was taken to the emergency room to get a piece of magazine tube removed from his leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Led View Post
    I would buy one in 357 Max.

Later,
    Stephen
    Could you ream out the chamber on a 357 mag rifle? I wonder if it would run thru the lever rifle with its increased OAL?

Boolit Master
    I am for one glad they put the side gate on I cannot abide loading anything down a tube other than a 22 LR. It’s too awkward and slow.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDMAGNUM View Post
    Top eject with allows me to catch my brass and set it in a tray when shooting Lever Action Silhouette . I do not believe that I could catch brass from a side elect.

I have personally seen a magazine tube explosion on the firing line. The shooter was dropping 45 Colt rounds nearly straight down into the tube. Two rounds discharged. Damaged the rifle and shooter. He was taken to the emergency room to get a piece of magazine tube removed from his leg.
    In other words it sounds like shooter error, not rifle malfunction/ design weakness.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    I am waiting for a 38-55 ... They have a 30-30 that’s not much different
    https://www.henryusa.com/caliber/38-55/
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    It only looks like brass. It is some kind of metal alloy. Supposedly very strong.
    Brass is an alloy and can be made harder or softer depending on the ratio of the metals.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post
    I am for one glad they put the side gate on I cannot abide loading anything down a tube other than a 22 LR. It’s too awkward and slow.
    I agree, my only tube loader is a 9422. Fine on a plinking gun but I don't care for it on a field gun. I suppose Henry used it on all of them because it was easier to engineer and it allows the tube to be unloaded easily.

Nothing wrong with it though, just what you are used to. Its kept me from buying a Henry before. On the other hand, the side eject wouldn't prevent me from buying one if it works well. The functionality is what I'm after.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba w/a 45/70 View Post
    In other words it sounds like shooter error, not rifle malfunction/ design weakness.
    Kinda my reaction too. Probably dropped the cartridges straight down the tube - even with .22's I always hold the rifle at about 45 degrees or even less and slide them down. That's what makes it fine for plinking, you usually have a table or tailgate to rest the butt on and angle the rifle as you reload it. That said, having not been there I'm just speculating.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba w/a 45/70 View Post
    Reloading error, primer seated high.

I was just looking on GB for a steel Henry in .41 Mag. There are exactly zero on GB of any flavor Henry or a collector item Marlin . I did find one at a online dealer,Bud’s and a few others have back order notifications,I wonder if it’s going under changes including a loading gate. I might have to grab the one “in stock” and then if a gated version comes about ,I’ll add it .

Boolit Man
    Looking at some auctions for them, it looks like they added a gate to the receiver and kept the tube load (and also tube unload) for those that want it. Gotta say, that's the way to do it, please everyone if you can. I have to admit that Henry seems like a good outfit in spite of my generally traditional tastes.

Boolit Master
    I think the henry's are great, they different than marlins, and both are different than winchesters, so what, they are what they are and they all good in my opinion
    and I have learned that when your eyes start getting older, ive come to appreciate being able to put a little scope on top of my old marlin or new Henry with easy to find common mounting hardware.

Could you ream out the chamber on a 357 mag rifle? I wonder if it would run thru the lever rifle with its increased OAL?
    No. The overall lengthy of a 357 max is too long for the short action length of the Marlin 1894. You could load them one at a time, but they wouldn't feed. I don't know if they made Henry Big Boys longer. But maybe they could. With CNC today I would think making several actions of proper length would cost less than it ever has.

Boolit Grand Master

For some unknown reason the New Original Henry - Rebirth of the 1860 Henry 44 rimfire _ has always drawn me to it like a Moth to a Flame ... since it first came out ... like I need another Lever action rifle at my age (72 in August) ... I haven't hunted in years ... But if I could hunt from a blind , say for hogs over a corn feeder I wouldn't have to walk miles through the swamps like we used to ...
    Hmmm... a 44-40 could take a hog ... maybe I could line up a hunt with a local guide / outfitter who make accomidations for old guys who can't walk too far .

Searched LA Hog Hunting Outfitters and found several ...one takes you in an Airboat ... see 6 right off
    The hard part is going to be convincing the wife you can only hunt hogs with reproduction 1860 Henry Lever Gun in 44-40 !
    Something to think about ... that beautiful brass receiver , blue steel barrel and Walnut stock ... Handsome Rifle !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I grew up near the Rice Lake factory and swore that I'd buy one in 357 the second they decided to add a side gate.

Thanks to this post, I ordered one right away but of course they were already backlogged. Took until the end of May when my local dealer twisted some tails to get it in hand.

People weren't kidding when they said the case hardened 20" octagon barreled big boy is a heavy rifle. But boy does that tame even magnum loads to pleasant plinking. Had some headspace issue where even 38 Spl had case head separations, but customer service fixed me up in <10 days.

Now to find a deer load for this year!

The 35 Remington does everything and a bit more than the .357 max will do EXCEPT the straight wall deer states. Knock down power/ recoil/ usefulness and range is a wonderful combination.

To catch your brass with a side eject, simply slow down the lever action, but it’s true for cowboy action, my brass is harder to find than a top eject.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post
    Really? How about UNLOADING? For hunting how many times a day do you have to load the gun?