Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Pre Warning TC Renegade

Perma-Banned

Pre Warning TC Renegade

Would like to learn more about one of my old Pre warning renegades, this particular barrel is in tip top shape, the barrel is stock and has not been altered. Since i shoot a tang mounted peep i removed the rear sight, I immediatly noticed a big difference in the rear sight hole pattern, they are MUCH tighter together than my other Renegade barrels, and the sight itself is shaped totally different as well, Shaped more like a Seneca than my others. This barrel does NOT say Renegade on it, just Thompson Center Arms .54 Cal, and has a 4 digit serial number 23XX

Perma-Banned
    I dont have another Renegade rear sight handy so i took a picture of this Old Renegade rear sight next to a rear sight ive taken off a Hawken, The Hawken rear sight is almost Identical to my other Renegades and the hole pattern is the same, Hawken/Renegade will interchange, the Hawken a little fancier.
    The hole pattern on this old Renegade rear sight is totally different and no other rear sight i have ever seen would interchange with it, This old barrel is stock and not been altered.

Perma-Banned
    I should have added this to the TC Barrel Info thread started by Jruby38, but i didnt

I have owned several Renegades over the years and currently own four. I have yet to see a sight quite like yours. I'm interested in hearing about it too.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master
    my sights look nothing like yours.... either one.

Perma-Banned
    The Hawken rear sight pictured beside the 'old' Renegade sight is from a newer Hawken rifle with the QLA barrel, this Hawken sight also has high vis white adjustment markings. This old Renegade sight, and tight hole pattern is what interests me, I've seen a bunch of Renegades in the last few years, but none with a sight like this one? All the other Renegade sights i have seen have a much wider hole pattern and would never fit this old barrel. I'm thinking this old renegade barrel must be from some of TC's very first ones? They obviously changed them to the wider hole pattern somewhere along the line. Hey Bubba.50 didn't you say you have an old early 70s pre warning barrel? Does it have this same rear sight on it?

Boolit Buddy
    Your renegade has an early Sharon barrel on it. Due to the low S/N, early 70's most likely. A diamond or a spade stamped in the underside of the barrel indicates Sharon. Sharon provided T/Cs barrels until the late 70's. Douglas Stamped a cross in the under side of the barrel. They supplied their barrels till the early 80s. No mark or a circled M signifies a T/C made barrel. T/C made their own from about '85 till present. The Sharon and Douglas barrels were 12L14 and normally shoot very well.
    Last edited by jjarrell; 11-15-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    Your renegade has an early Sharon barrel on it. Due to the low S/N, early 70's most likely. A diamond or a spade stamped in the underside of the barrel indicates Sharon. Sharon provided T/Cs barrels until the late 70's. Douglas Stamped a cross in the under side of the barrel. They supplied their barrels till the early 80s. No mark or a circled M signifies a T/C made barrel. T/C made their own from about '85 till present. The Sharon and Douglas barrels were 12L14 and normally shoot very well.
    Thank you jjarrell, i had read this stuff somewhere but lost track of where, and exactly what i had read? Thank you again! What does the 12L14 mean?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    What does the 12L14 mean?
    I had the same question....
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Perma-Banned
    "Carbon is the primary alloying element present in the carbon steels. They contain 0.4% silicon and 1.2% manganese. Small quantities of molybdenum, chromium, nickel, aluminium, and copper are also present in these steels. AISI 12L14 carbon steel is known as the fastest machining bar product."

Perma-Banned
    I also read that 12L14 steel is referred to as 'Ledloy' meaning it has lead in it

Boolit Master

I had a Renegade that was an early one, SN 1985. Got it in 74 or 75 IIRC. It had that sight on it but I put one of the TC tang sights on it for hunting. I was never happy with the RB accuracy but the Maxiballs shot very well except they went completely through a deer like Sherman through Atlanta. You definitely had to make sure of what was down range. I had to wait once so I wouldn't take 2 with one shot.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!