Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 340 in .30-30

Boolit Buddy

I have a Coast To Coast 843 (I believe to be the economy version of the 340) that shoots lead bullets well. I have a scope mount, tried it, didn't care for it and took it off. The rifle shoots better than I do so I enjoy shooting it. Great deer rifle!

BF
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

$300 is to much (unless factory new). One in nice shape should sell for $250 or less.

They are a great rifle. I did quite a bit to mine and wound up with a near 300 Savage level proformance. First I mounted a side mount Weaver scope mount then, I made it into a floated barrel by removing the front barrel band and installing a 10x32 screw up, into the rear of the action, through the rear trigger guard screw hole. Lastly, I rechambered it to 30/30 Imp (30 deg shoulder).

They can take higher pressures, the 225 Win is rated at 52k CUP but, you have to FL size after at least the second firing because the extractor sucks (the only I can critisize about them) and will ride over the rim.

It shot 1 1/4 groups with the 311291 @ 100 using surplus H380 powder @ 2000+ fps. You can get 2600 fps with jacketed 150's too.

What's no to like about them!

Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Think I gave $150 several years ago for my like new Stevens version in 30-30. It's just a fun gun to carry and shoot.

Boolit Master

I lucked out and a friend sold me a 340 for $100. with the RCBS dies! It's so ugly you got to love it. Wood is all dinged up, nice rust patina on barrel and action. This baby has been there, done that and got the T shirt. I have played with it quite a bit and love the old gun. I had to have it D&T'd for a scope mount and have an old Weaver 2.5X mounted on it. Very accurate with cast and only down side was the long creepy 5 lb. trigger. I fixed that by soldering a piece of .020" feeler gauge to the trigger to decrease the sear engagement. I now have a crisp 3 lb. trigger and shoot it well. The downside to this mod is the safety will no longer engage but this is a range gun only so that is no problem. If I were to ever sell it ( not going to happen!) I can simply unsolder the shim and we're back to factory trigger and safety. Has to be about the best $100 bucks I ever spent. That said, knowing what I know now if I didn't have one, I'd spend $350 in a heartbeat for one in 30-30.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned

when I got on this site back when it was still the old site you were the man with the holy grail if you had one of those. They were actually pretty common around here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blixen01 View Post

<SNIP>

Now, I look for a Rem. 788 in 30 WCF. (Good luck on that, right?)
    You have chosen your grail wisely.
    I have one that I bought roughly 20 years ago at a gun show.
    It was in 98% condition and came with an extra magazine ("clip") that was brand new in the box.
    Those .30-30 magazines are like hen's teeth to find.
    You don't even want to know what I paid for it. You'll just grind your teeth in envy.

It's a sweet rifle and extremely accurate with Jwords OR cast.
    I'm glad I bought it, but...
    I had to pass that day on a beautiful 03 Springfield with a star gauged barrel and the original DCM paperwork from way back when it was sold to somebody's uncle between the wars. I had enough green in my pocket to buy one or the other, but not both. I hemmed and hawed and finally figured there were more '03s around than 788 .30-30s.

I don't think I've ever run across as nice a Springfield for such a good price in all the years since.
    Sigh...

Uncle R.

Boolit Master
    I got tired of not having enough money when a 788 in 30-30 would show up so I stuck a 26 inch tube on a 98 mauser and I can get it to work decent by turning the rim down. I am waiting for a 30-30 imp rental reamer (funds are low now) and I am going to do my 340 savage, a win 94 and my mauser with the reamer. I want longer life out of my brass, and just a little more room powder. No hotrodding, those days are past!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Time to find a Williams Peep sight for mine. Wish I had gotten the deals you aLloyd got, but I'm not complaining. Ito going to make a heck of a fun gun to load for and share with my wife and sons

Boolit Master

I like my 30-30 model 340....I always carry it in the field. Its a good functional shooter with decent accuracy. I use a Weaver steel tube scope with post. Does well with both cast and jacketed
    shoot on !
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !