WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 340 in .30-30

Savage 340 in .30-30

The local Cabelas has one in nice shape at $300. I am trying to retain my self control? I already have too many projects, and too short of time to play with them. Hope a Cast Boolets person takes the orphan 340 home!

Boolit Master
    I don't know if that is the current going rate for a 340 because I paid $200.00 at my local gun shop for mine three years ago and that included a scope and mount. They are fun guns and great cast boolit shooters.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    My first "deer rifle" was a 340 in 30-30. Traded it off for a fancy Rem 700. Glad I got the 700, wish I could have kept the 340.
    I think 300 is a bit steep. Work on them a bit and maybe you can take it home.

Boolit Master
    I'm another 340 shooter. 300 is on the high side. One consideration, look and see if there are 4 screws on the left side of the receiver (all in a row) this is your scope mounting holes. The wood on the stock will be a little lower also. If you have intentions on using a scope. The holes (with screws) have to be there. Or its expensive having a smith put them in.
    That could be a good bargoning chip if used correctly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maineboy View Post
    I don't know if that is the current going rate for a 340 because I paid $200.00 at my local gun shop for mine three years ago and that included a scope and mount. They are fun guns and great cast boolit shooters.
    Exactly how much I paid for mine. Same set up too.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I bought a beat up 340 for $100 OTD. Refinished the stock and cold blue with a Williams peep sight and it looks good as new. Also picked up a factory barrel for it several years ago but have yet to install it.

Boolit Master
    $300 may be on the high side for a 340. But you would still be getting a great gun for $300.
    I think I have about $320 in mine, Had to get it drilled fora scope mount.
    Best $320 I have spent.

I bought mine about 10 years ago for $110.00 and then paid $15.00 for a Lyman receiver sight off Ebay. This are great cast bullet rifles and mine will shoot cast into 1.5 MOA all day long. Wonderful low end utility rifles!

Prices on everything go up and I would pay $300.00 for a good one, IF I didn't have one and IF I had $300.00 to spend on a rifle. I have lived long enough to regret not purchases many firearms, because I thought they were over price a little bit at the time. What may be over priced today may very well be under priced five years from now.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    Killed one of first elk with a 340 Savage 30-30.about 200 yards as soon as I could make out the front sight. Shot once she never twitched! Shot again she moved a few steps and leaned against an aspen tree, I was getting ready to shoot again and my uncle stopped me and said she!s hit hard wait a minute, she laid down and didn't get up. Two shots in the lungs 5" apart. Still wish I had those eyes.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    IMHO, Some will always say, well I got mine for this, that is way to much. I believe at 300 deflated dollors for Nice Shape 340 you will go home with a higher quality built little rifle than many of the Bargain built/priced rifles that are not offered in the great cast shooting 30-30 round.

If I were to use others logic I would say, Well the first and only new truck I bought was $2775.00 and it had the deluxe paint scheme, auto trany and deluxe woven seats not solid vinyl. How can you consider 35,755.00 + a good deal for a new PLASTIC truck today.

If the rifle likes you, take it home and enjoy it. you wont be sorry.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Banned

Strange what a cult following the 340has around here. While not a super rifle at anything, I like mine a lot and its a very consistent performer. Nice handling little guns. Mine was the Sears variant with a hardwood stock, so ugly it's kinda cute. I got mine for less than that, but there are nicer ones than mine out there, so decide for yourself if it's worth it to you.

Boolit Master
    What can you get for $300 nowadays? Heck, I've had bar tabs bigger than that, with nothing to show for it but a nasty hangover!

Boolit Buddy

Value, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder !

CPL Lou

Boolit Bub
    I've owned 3 Sav/Stevens 30-30s. My advice would be add $50 to the $300 and get a used Marlin 336.

IMHO

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blixen01 View Post
    I've owned 3 Sav/Stevens 30-30s. My advice would be add $50 to the $300 and get a used Marlin 336.

IMHO
    But, this a bolt action and to some of us silly as it sounds, that is the reason I would pay 300.00 if it was in pristine shape. I want to get a stevens 200 plastic stock and restock my 340 and it will weigh a wee bit over 6 pounds! Love those bolt actions.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Do the 340's have anything in common with the 110 series? I like them alot, also the Remington 788.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Moderator Emeritus

Barrel nut like the 110's but a different thread. All I have seen were a removable magazine rather than an internal. Single locking lug vs two they were chambered in 222, 223, 225 Win and 30-30, all small based or lower pressure cartridges. All I have seen were tapped for side mount scopes.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I traded a lever gun for mine, an early model still made by Stevens at the time. The micro groove and tube feed did not fit with my use. Just wish pointed bullets fit in the mag.

Boolit Bub

Savage 340 in .30-30

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    But, this a bolt action and to some of us silly as it sounds, that is the reason I would pay 300.00 if it was in pristine shape. I want to get a stevens 200 plastic stock and restock my 340 and it will weigh a wee bit over 6 pounds! Love those bolt actions.
    I appreciate your bolt-action love. I also understand that this rifle was an econo-deer killer. But having owned 3 in 30-30. I was frustrated with getting a reasonable trigger pull. Other than the barrel, the parts are flimsy. It shows how much I wanted it to work that I had three! And I'd try another if I ran across one at a "bargain" price I.e under $200. My last one was a Stevens with a spoon bolt and a Willian's peep sight--sweet rifle.

Maybe, it's just my mojo...other folks love the little beasts.

Now, I look for a Rem. 788 in 30 WCF. (Good luck on that, right?)

Banned
    my dad has a 30-30 in sav m340. it is used for a loaner gun and it shoots great. 2 - 2 1/2" at 100 yards using factory ammo(win, federal, remington) without a scope. i haven't shot it for several years but i'm fairly sure it would go great with a 165gr ranch dog(.311" for 30-40 krag).

he also had another 30-30 m340 that he traded off. several cases didn't go off, sometimes the 2nd shot wouldn't go in, sometimes it did and it would not stay on the target(groups go from 5" up to only God know where. this was 25 y.o. or so ago and we have learned some simple gunsmithing.

i might take the 340 out when i take my old '94 out and see what cast boolits can do.