Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 35 Whelen Encore accuracy

35 Whelen Encore accuracy

I just picked up an Encore barrel chambered in 35 Whelen. It is a used TC Pro-hunter barrel 28" long. I loaded up 225 gr Nosler Partitions and 200 gr Rem Cor-loks over Varget powder. WLR primers and new Winchester cases. 36-06 necked up.

I shot it at the range just now and my first impression is disappointment. I shot two five shot groups for each bullet weight and my groups where in the 10 inch range at 100 yards.

I know most of the tips and tricks for bolt action rifle accuracy and if this was a bolt gun I would immediately float the barrel, recrown the muzzle and glass bed the action. After that I might start messing around with different loads or more machine work.

The question to any Encore riflesmiths out there is what barrel or action work can or should I do before messing with my handloads to try to improve this accuracy?

Thanks
    Dan
    Semper Fi

Boolit Buddy
    I would mess with my handloads to try to improve accuracy.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Buddy
    Was the group round or vertical?

Boolit Master
    Try again with your now fire formed cases.

I would not mess with the barrel until you have between 100 and 200 round through it.

Clean it between each 5 shot group. It might do better with a few more rounds.
    EDG

Kinda diagonal groups generally. 12 O'clock to 9 O'clock diagonal groups.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Grand Master

Make sure the bore is cleaned to bare metal and check the muzzle crown for nicks or burrs.

Check your pin that holds the barrel to the action for play, easily done with the action open. If there is any play at all you will need a new pin and possibly an oversized pin. T/C has only standard pins, Mike Bellm has oversized pins.

The headspace on these break open guns includes the clearance between the end of the barrel and the standing breach. Also if the barrel is in contact with the standing breech when closed this can cause accuracy problems. Ideally there should be just enough clearance so these 2 parts don't touch but they are mass produced so this rarely happens. If the action does not want to close easily the interlock may not allow the gun to fire. There is no cammimg action like a bolt gun.

I use an automotive feeler gauge the set the headspace between the cartridge head and the standing breech to .001" to .0015". Insert the gauge between the unprimed cartridge head and the standing breech with the action open and then gently close it. If the guage sticks you need the size the case a little more, if more than .004" fireform your cases. If the gauge has a slight drag when pulled you are good to go. Removing the extractor is the best way to get a good "feel" on the gauge but if you are careful to avoid it you can leave it in the barrel.

Mike Bellm's website has very good info on how to make these guns shoot accurately for free.

My encore will only shoot well if I put the pin in the same each time. Turn the pin around and accuracy goes away. I marked it with a "R" on one side of the pin so it is always inserted to the right side of the rifle. Sounds weird but that is the only way it will shoot well using either the 7mm-08 barrel or the .50 MZ barrel.
    It seems they have long throats so seating bullets long is a must. I would start with seating them long and see if the groups tighten up.

I did notice that the throat is very long on this barrel. I didn't see just how long though. Thanks leadman....those are some good suggestions. I will check that gap to see where I stand on this. I had a missfire when shooting the groups. I wonder if that is an issue.
    Semper Fi

I bought a MGM barrel in 35 Whelen and loaded 3 different powders H4831SC and Win 748 and IMR 4064.
    The 748 wanted to string vertically upward. The 4064 4" at 100 yards and the 4831 2" @ 100 yards.
    Seems like powder makes a huge difference which this caliber.

Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

I did some measuring tonight. The action looks tight. The gauge went at .0015" and no go at .002". On to the chamber. it has a very long throat. Book maximum OAL is 3.34". Loaded to touch the lands my OAL is 3.5". That only leaves .130" of the bullet seated under the case mouth. That's not gonna work. At least i don't think so. If it was a bolt action I'd set back the barrel a bit to eat up the freebore.

I guess I'll need to try to seat the bullets as far out as possible. Ken...I'll try some different powders too thanks for the tip.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Buddy
    I think I would check the scope and the mounts, lots of times, especially when it shoots buckshot patterns instead of groups, I put a known scope on it to eliminate that possibility.

WOW....Mike Bellm really digs into these problems on his web site!! It looks like there is not too much I can do about the long throat in this caliber but I think there are a few other things I should look at. I have a 28" barrel on this rifle and was thinking of cutting it back. Mike just made up my mind there!!
    Semper Fi

I have a 28" pro hunter encore bbl. in 35 whelen and it will drive nails with jacketed or cast.
    One thing i found however is that when shooting from the bench, the closer i have the frame rested to the front rifle rest, the better it shoots.
    Also any downward pressure from my shoulder on the butt stock while shooting from a rest can cause vertical stringing since it's a break open action.

However the miss fire you had doesn't sound good and is usually a headspace problem.
    I have the synthetic stocks on mine and when new it would start shooting left as it heated up.
    I took a bit off the right side of the forearm at the frame and all was well. I could see where the forearm was rubbing a shiny spot at the front of the frame on the right side.

None of this may be what the problem is for you, but may be worth checking.
    Good luck with it and yes...Bellm knows the TC's.

Boolit Grand Master

You can set the Headspace with your fireformed cases to correct the no fire condition. Use the .0015" or .001" feeler gauge to set up your sizer die so the shoulder is not pushed back too far. The break open guns are very different to load for than a bolt action but once you have them figured out they can shoot very well.

I also scribed a mark on the end of the barrel at the top so I can align the cases the same way for each shot. I use the middle of the stamped manufacturers' name to line up with the scribed mark.
    I have a 28" pro Hunter stainless 7mm Rem mag. that has shot as small as 4" groups at 600 yards. I like the extra length of the barrel to increase the velocity. I shoot 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3,300 fps on hot days.

Boolit Master
    Check the crown make sure it is not nicked or any damage to it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have found that on a couple barrels that the scope base screws would bottom out in the hole just as they started to clamp the base to the barrel. I now take each screw and run it in by itself in the base and tighten it and try to move the base. Takes a few minutes to do this but it is worth it.
    Sometimes a misfire is caused by the interlock in the action not being pushed back far enough and the hammer is slowed or stopped by it. This is the piece under the breech face in the action that the locking lugs on the barrel have to push back. Look at the wear pattern on the lugs and see wear they are hitting on the action. If close to the end you may have to stone them some. I think Bellm has an article on this on his website.
    A cartridge can also cause this if the bullet is hitting the rifling or the case is not properly sized.