RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Winchester 100

Boolit Master

Winchester 100

I was at Cabelas last week and was looking at the used rifle rack. I picked up a short semi auto. Tag said Winchester 100 chambered in 308Win. I have never seen a model 100 so it kind of interested me.

Does anyone have one or have any experience with them? I read online that they were recalled due to firing pin issues but other than that not info on other aspects of the rifle. It sure pointed nice and balanced really well. I wouldn't mind picking it up to have another semi auto 308. My current one is an AR-10. While it's a fun gun and everything, I kind of like blued steel and wood.

Boolit Master
    I hunt with a 1967 Win100 carbine in 308 and my dad uses the rifle version. We haev both been very happy with them.

In Remembrance

I`m down to 1 from owning 3 at 1 time. All were in .308 and all shot the old red and white boxed Federal 150 gr. sp ammo very nicely. The firing pin recall was back about 30 years ago or so. Take the rifle to a registered gunsmith with Winchester and they would install a new better pin for free. I heard wild stories about how the old pin would break and create a "slam fire" condition where the rifle would fire till empty! Like I said "wild stories", in real life I never personally heard or saw such a thing happen. My pre-64 is a safe queen now as I don`t tramp the woods anymore.Robert

I had a Post-64 .243 Carbine model that I sent to P.O.Ackley in the mid-70's for a rebore to .358 Win, that worked flawlessly.

There were two models and two versions of the Winchester Model 100 - a "Rifle" version with 22" bbl, and a "Carbine" version with a barrel-banded 19" bbl (all with open sights) - There were both pre & post 64's.

They were chambered for 3 cartridges, the .243Win, the .284Win, & the .308Win.

The pre-64's had plain cut checkering; the post-64's had impressed basket-weave checkering; the Carbine's had no checkering, besides the forend barrel band.

When the FP was updated, whomever did the switch (factory or warranty gunsmith) was supposed to stamp the rifle they worked one, into the bottom metal near the trigger guard (visible w/o removing the stock).

Last edited by pietro; 06-14-2015 at 04:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the replies. The one I'm looking at has the basket weave checkering and 22 inch barrel. I didn't see any marks on the bottom metal anywhere to show that it has been repaired so if I bought it I would have to make sure it gets done.

Boolit Grand Master

Send a e-mail to winchester and see what marking and where they used to denote the upgrade was done. Im not sure it was a factory done modification but done by winchester servicing dealers in house. It may have to actually be disasembled to see what parts are in it. Another way to look at it if the upgrade hasnt been done then to some collectors it may be worth more being all original. They are good solid rifles and interesting in their own right. I dont have a 100 but here is a 88 in the family.

Here's the 411 on Winchester Model 100 (& M-88) rifles - scroll down to the the 4 factory approved Firing Pin Replacement Centers:

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%..._100_info.html

W. R. Long Gunsmiths
    2007 Brook Road North
    Cobourg, Ontario K9A4W4
    Canada
    Frank LeFever & Sons
    RD 2 Box 31
    Lee Center, NY 13363
    USA
    Bolsa Gunsmithing
    7404 Bolsa Avenue
    Westminister, CA 92683
    USA
    Nu Line Guns
    1053 Caulks Hill Road
    Harvester, MO 63303
    USA

If you have any questions concerning this notice, call Winchester Product Service 1-800-852-5734 or write to Winchester Firing Pin replacement Notice, PO Box 10 Cottage Hills Illinois 62018 Attention Product Service Dept.

The acid test:

Olin authorized other warranty gunshops to make the required alterations.
    Upon completion of the recall, the shops were to test fire the firearm and to stamp an assigned letter on the inside top of the receiver as seen thru the magazine well with the bolt retracted.
    The letter “B” represented Bolsa Gunsmithing, “L” was Lefever, and “N” was for Nu-line Guns.

The letter “X” apparently was for all the other authorized shops.
    However this identification information did not get communicated to some of the smaller shops at the start of the project.
    Therefore, the only way to tell if the gun as been modified, if the ”letter” is not present, is to take the barrel & action out of the stock, remove the trigger guard assembly and the try to rotate the firing pin by twisting it.
    If it does rotate, then the firing pin recall HAS NOT been performed.

Boolit Master
    Thank you pietro that was a lot of good information.

Boolit Grand Master

Lot of love them or hate them with the Model 100's. Most of the hate seems to go towards the .284's. I have never owned one but both of the .284's that I have been around had jamming and extraction issues. The one 308 that a buddy has is very reliable.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%..._100_info.html

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine was a .243 rifle that was fairly accurate but I did not like the occasional failure to fire, so it went down the road.

Mine had the firing pin recall done, supposedly by Nu-line, but it wasn't stamped; so check the actual firing pin itself.

I did like the way the gun fit me, but it was a real PITA to strip for cleaning.

Robert

The Model 100's can be tricky - I once was asked to help a body that had a loaded M-100 that refused to either fire or open to clear the chamber.

I had to disassemble the rifle while the chamber was loaded, which took me awhile, due to safety precautions (I went slooooow).

I'm mis-remembering the cause (it was 40 years ago), but do remember that I had the owner return it to Winchester under warranty, for the repair.

Boolit Buddy

Make sure you know and understand how to disassemble the "100" before you attempt to do so. More stocks were broke by people that thought they knew "how to do it" and tried forcing the barreled action out of the stock....

I hated working on the 100. Especially if some one tried taking it apart with it uncocked hammer slips up under the firing pin and your screwed.
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Master

I own a post 64 model 100 in .308. The action and gas system needs to be keep clean for proper functioning. Magazines are super expensive so make sure the one with the gun is in good shape. Around here the rifle got a bad rap because people did not clean the gas system. Mine is accurate enough for hunting but is not a tack driver.(2-3" at 100 yards)
    I use the Nosler ballistic tip bullets to prevent bullet tip damage during cycling. Mine has functioned flawlessly. I find a Model 700 with a synthetic stock is lighter and more accurate.