RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 35 XCB bullet mold design.

Banned

Tim measure the neck on that barrel you got at your place.
    that is the standard reamer diameter in that barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bjornb View Post
    If I was to offer an opinion on a 7mm XCB, I'd say that it already exists and is called 7x57 Mauser. A match grade chamber with a total neck OD of about .311, set up for an XCB bullet at .288, and a 14" twist barrel.

Hey Tim, I think we may have to call Shilen and PTG............
    Actually, the 28XCB will have a 12 twist barrel that will put the possible FPS at 2333 FPS.
    Therefore, the X 57 case length is a bit too long.
    I was thinking more along the lines of shortening it back to 308 case capacity but maintaining a long neck.
    Just musing at this point though. I need to run it through quickload a few times.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy
    How you're talking I'd be in for that, some thing like a 28/250 with a long neck would be a perfect for a 700 short action.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, I think so. A 57mm case can actually fit short actions very nicely because our cast bullets are so much shorter than jacketed, but it's still a little tight. Just pushing it back a little bit to say 55mm would be nothing but good for feeding cast bullets in a short action.
    I need to study on it a little more.

Boolit Grand Master

BTW, if anybody wants the truncated cone version of the 35XCB it is now available from accurate molds. Designated the 36-220G:
    Attachment 140759
    This will not shoot quite as fast as the NOE version, but should be a real slam dunk at less than 2300FPS, and should be used with caution at those speeds. See the link in my signature line to witness what happens when you shoot a deer with a bullet of this weight doing only 2150 FPS if cast from softish alloy.

This is the big brother to the 31-160G which is the counterpart to the NOE 30XCB mold. Both are designed by me and the only thing different from the NOE designs is the part of the nose that doesn't touch anything.
    These bullets are also for the lever gunners out there who might get a little queasy about shooting my high BC XCB designs in a tubular magazine (as well they should).
    Tom can cut these to any precise size you require, and he's just really good at making molds that drop bullets with ten-thousandths of an inch of what you specify.

I recommend casting this bullet out of COWW + 2% tin water quenched, lubed with white label 2500+, sized to .360, and driven to about 2200FPS in that condition.
    This is 220 grains of persuasion that will make any creature in North America want to get dressed in butcher paper and take a nap in your freezer.
    Most importantly, it should be very easy to work up accurate loads in your rifle of choice.
    Enjoy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    How you're talking I'd be in for that, some thing like a 28/250 with a long neck would be a perfect for a 700 short action.
    that'd be the one I'm talking about, the cases would be made from the 308 family.

it's bigger brother was a design I was gonna submit for the xcb round but the powder space would have limited things to about 2400 fps, and that was not the xcb's goal.

I'm shooting a slightly different boolit than the 31-160G but have noticed a few things. It's hard to seat ACWW into 308W LC cases without distortion. At mid range jacketed loads, (~2600 fps), accuracy seems to have gotten better, IMHO, due to uniform nose slump. Heavy large nose sets back to fill the bore, with 3-4% Sb H.T.'d. Harder alloy like Lino may not do this.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    The NOE moulds are out, just ordered mine!!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yep. Paid here!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Looks like some in inventory too at the site. Wow, Al is fast!

Ordered mine - Thanks for the discount AL!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Ordered mine with a few expander plugs and a bag of gas checks too.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

I need to stay off here and NOEs site. They cost me to much money

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    BTW, if anybody wants the truncated cone version of the 35XCB it is now available from accurate molds. Designated the 36-220G:
    Attachment 140759
    This will not shoot quite as fast as the NOE version, but should be a real slam dunk at less than 2300FPS, and should be used with caution at those speeds. See the link in my signature line to witness what happens when you shoot a deer with a bullet of this weight doing only 2150 FPS if cast from softish alloy.

This is the big brother to the 31-160G which is the counterpart to the NOE 30XCB mold. Both are designed by me and the only thing different from the NOE designs is the part of the nose that doesn't touch anything.
    These bullets are also for the lever gunners out there who might get a little queasy about shooting my high BC XCB designs in a tubular magazine (as well they should).
    Tom can cut these to any precise size you require, and he's just really good at making molds that drop bullets with ten-thousandths of an inch of what you specify.

I recommend casting this bullet out of COWW + 2% tin water quenched, lubed with white label 2500+, sized to .360, and driven to about 2200FPS in that condition.
    This is 220 grains of persuasion that will make any creature in North America want to get dressed in butcher paper and take a nap in your freezer.
    Most importantly, it should be very easy to work up accurate loads in your rifle of choice.
    Enjoy.
    Ok, call me a yo-yo but I have tried to order from NOE and it never works. I tried leaving pm's and no good. THIS is not their problem it is my lack of computer knowledge. Could someone put a link to this buy and I will try again. I don't want to miss this boolit! Thanks
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

35 XCB bullet mold design.

The mold is available in their store. The group buy closed weeks ago. Just add the mold to your cart and follow the on screen instructions.

The different mold options start at the bottom of this page: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...s6dv3ldc41ei75
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 05-30-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Damn it, this one put me into the $1k club. Now I have to buy another because I have a discount code

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Ok, call me a yo-yo but I have tried to order from NOE and it never works. I tried leaving pm's and no good. THIS is not their problem it is my lack of computer knowledge. Could someone put a link to this buy and I will try again. I don't want to miss this boolit! Thanks
    Please don't get confused. There are two bullets of similar design. The one in the original post is the long range high velocity bullet and is available at NOE.
    The one on post #86 is the hunting bullet and is available from Accurate Molds.

Boolit Grand Master

Wooo-Hooo! Another shiny bit headed my way from Ogden! Awesome response on this GB, 35 "I wants" and it looks like he made a few for the folks that missed out on the GB. As an added bonus I ordered a set of handles (where did all those "extras" go?), a bag of 30 cal GC's (finally caught him holding some ) and of course a top punch. Just finished load development for the RD boolits and a few other projects so I'm ready for a new project (or three). Seems I have a couple of new NOE moulds patiently waiting for a break-in casting session.
    Thanks for your efforts Tim and Al, I think this is going to be fun.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Notice tonight that it's on it's way! - super fast response!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Mine arrived today

Won't be able to use it for a few months. No shooting either