Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Lee old style hand primer

Boolit Mold

Lee old style hand primer

Hi to All! This is my first post on this forum and I need some help! I have been reloading for 40 years and just bought my first Marlin 1895G 45/70. I want to reload, and have almost everything ready to start but my trusty Lee hand priming tool needs the 45/70 screw on type shell holder. I think the shell holder number is R. Does anyone know where I can buy one? I am willing to buy that one or even an entire set. Yes, I have the Lee auto prime, but like the old screw on hand primer much better. Thanks for any help !
    Last edited by KBP; 02-06-2015 at 02:39 PM.

You are correct, it is the R size that you'll need, but I can't find them anywhere. I'll keep an eye out though...
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Mold
    Hi Snow ninja! Thanks for your reply and offer to try to find the shell holder!

You could keep an eye out on Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...style&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Presses-Acce...iming%2520Tool

Or grab a new one at Titan Reloading and use the modern shell holders:
    http://www.titanreloading.com/primin...-shell-holders
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all that replied! Now, I have to find a case trimmer that works with the 45/70! The short Hornady 45/70 case!

Quote Originally Posted by KBP View Post
    Hi to All! This is my first post on this forum and I need some help! I have been reloading for 40 years and just bought my first Marlin 1895G 45/70. I want to reload, and have almost everything ready to start but my trusty Lee hand priming tool needs the 45/70 screw on type shell holder. I think the shell holder number is R. Does anyone know where I can buy one? I am willing to buy that one or even an entire set. Yes, I have the Lee auto prime, but like the old screw on hand primer much better. Thanks for any help !
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l-holder-sizes

Check this thread for guys who might have the shell holder you need, and a good reference list.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Grand Master
    Those short Hornady cases are a pain. I separate them and use them for my roundball loads.

i cant recall which ones gunpartscorp ended up with but they had a few of the old style ( mine are the more common ones )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Quote Originally Posted by KBP View Post
    And lucky you for having a working old style Lee hand primer. Mine broke and my only option was the new Lee model. It is NOT as reliable as the old one. I keep getting two primers on top of the seating ram, regardless of how careful I am.

Unusual for Lee, they made a fix for a nonexistent problem and in the process created one. Take good care of it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Here is my experience with the new LEE IMPROVED ERGO VERSION ( not good ).

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-Priming-Tool

Does anyone know if the lever that pushes up the primer punch will fit the old auto prime?
    The first ones were made of pot metal and wore out after a while.
    Later, the came out with a good steel one that didn't and I didn't get one, should've.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    KBP, I started loading in 68-69 with a Lee Hand loader in 38 spl, which I still have by the way. I purchased the old Lee screw on primer after scaring myself and my wife with the hammer in feature of seating the primers. If you ever need another one I will hand it down to you. Later David

PS Do yourself a favor and purchase the RCBS model hand primer. It's the best thing since sliced bread.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    KBP, I started loading in 68-69 with a Lee Hand loader in 38 spl, which I still have by the way. I purchased the old Lee screw on primer after scaring myself and my wife with the hammer in feature of seating the primers. If you ever need another one I will hand it down to you. Later David

PS Do yourself a favor and purchase the RCBS model hand primer. It's the best thing since sliced bread.
    +1 on the RCBS hand primer.

Did you find your shell holder KBP?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by borg View Post
    Does anyone know if the lever that pushes up the primer punch will fit the old auto prime?
    The first ones were made of pot metal and wore out after a while.
    Later, the came out with a good steel one that didn't and I didn't get one, should've.

I shim the worn spot on the piston rod like part with a thin piece of beer or soda can cut a tiny bit wider than the worn part. Generously lube with auto chaisis grease and reassemble......will take alittle fussing and poking to get it to fit.....Should be fine, just regrease occasionally or double thickness of shim to make up for wear. I do this repair on my newer Lee Hand Primer too, the model before the Ergonomic one....afish4570