Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Ergo Prime Priming Tool

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Ergo Prime Priming Tool

I've owned my Lee Ergo Primer seating tool for about 2 months now and have seated large rifle and small pistol primers with my tool. The tool seems plenty robust.

The small tray seems to feed better than the large one , but the small tray still jams quite often.

The large tray didn't work very well at all. Maybe I wasn't using the right " tilt " continuously ? ?

At any rate, I got frustrated and got out my Dremel tool with my cut off tool and did some modifying to the primer seating tool this morning.

I always thought that the Old Mequon primer seater tool was so simple and fool proof.

You'd simply insert a single primer , close the handle and you had a seated primer. I liked that simplicity and decided to copy that engineering concept today with the Lee Ergo.

At any rate ( right or wrong ), I decided today to give up the feature of the primer auto - feed, in favor of seating a single primer at a time.

The conversion consist of simply removing the auto feed mechanism without harming the square nylon carrier for the alignment and up and down travel of the primer seating piston. That part of things can't be changed.

Once that is done, there is a bit of " fill in " with 5 minute quick set JB Weld. There is a channel that the auto fill would use to gravity feed primers to the piston for seating of the primers , that channel needs to be filled completely with JB Weld. Be certain that the " bore " that the primer seating pistol travels in stays clean and free of any of the JB Weld.

A little clean up and now I've got a priming tool that won't jam. Granted it may be a bit slower, but considering all the time I spent clearing jams, hunting primers that had fallen on the floor, etc. I'm not too certain that I can't prime 50 cases just about as quick .

One thing is absolutely certain, I've dramatically reduced the " frustration factor " on my priming tool.

As far as I'm concerned, there is something to be said about reliability. You either have it or you don't ....there is zero room in between the two. This " thing " wasn't even close to being reliable yesterday , .......now it is ! From my perspective, I've made some good progress today.

I have a portable reloading kit. This tool ( in its modified form ) will serve as an excellent priming tool for my portable reloading kit.

If at any time in the future I want to return to the auto feed ( and I seriously doubt that I ever will ) , since I made no modifications at all to the red steel handle , I can simply contact Lee and have a new tray / feed mechanism shipped and I'm right back where I started.

Ben

Here it is with all the surplus JB Weld hardened and filed off smooth, then touched up with some gloss black enamel and an artist brush.

Last edited by Ben; 03-01-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Cool. I haven't had any problems with my ergo prime unit though.

Banned

"Maybe I wasn't using the right " tilt " continuously ? ?"

Another really nice thread and photos. From all I have read there is an optimum "angle/tilt." 40 degrees? I like your fix/solution. Just got my first Ergo Prime, love the Lee Precision red powder coat and finger/ergo operation. I have a literal fleet of Auto Primes, but wanted to try the Ergo. We shall see how it compares. Love hand priming off the press. Thanks for the good info/thread. Now it's like the K&M tool.

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe I just should have boxed it up and returned it to Lee ?

I have a friend that bought one of the new Lee Ergo Prime tools , to quote him, " he said his was a piece of junk."

For me right now, 40 degrees isn't part of the equation anymore. If there is a primer on top of the priming piston, you're going to get a properly seated primer. For me, that is good.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 06-09-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Banned

"I have a friend that bought one, to quote him, " he said his was a piece of junk.""

That is why I keep a fleet of the "dangerous" Auto Primes. I think I may have 8 of them in excellent condition.
    Last edited by jmort; 06-10-2014 at 12:45 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    jmortimer

My friend had praise for the " old style " Lee priming tool, he couldn't get replacement parts when it came time for them , so he bought the " new style ".

You've already heard his thoughts and opinions of the " new style " priming tool.

My experience with Lee products has led me to believe that their quality control isn't consistant. Several people can buy the same model piece of equipment and all three will get three different pieces of varying quality going from "***" to "very good".

Mine works fine. Your works after a fashion in original condition, but works to your satisfaction after you modified it. Your friend says it is a "***".

I like that you have shown how to convert it to a manual feed primer installer. It gives someone else another option.

Seems to be consistent that the older round tray versions work better. The newer models have "features" designed by lawyers, in my estimation. Like others, I've laid in a supply of the older tools.

Boolit Master
    I love my Ergo Prime, once I got the hang of the way to hold it and use it it's one of the best pieces of equipment I've had. The angle does have a lot to do with it, plus I give it a little shake to be sure the primers are loading properly every so often. I just visually check every time to make sure the next primer is in properly before putting in the case.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use the Lee Ergo Primer and love it - have never had a problem with it. I haven't "reloaded for years" though so I don't have any experience with the earlier models. My Ergo Primer worked well right out of the box - I prime at a leisurely pace though and just keep track that I have primers in the slot, etc.

As far as Lee equipment and quality - I use a combination of an old RCBS Jr3 single stage and a 4 hole classic turret - Lee dies. Have no issues at all with any of the equipment - works well and I get good reloads.

Thanks for the post Ben - great photos and interesting information!

Boolit Grand Master
    As far as the shape and " feel " of the Ergo Prime, I like that.

I just got tired of mis-feeds, jams, the plastic lid trying to lift itself off, etc.

Yesterday, I went from the " Modern Advanced Lawyer Inspired Technology" to a far more reliable and simpler approach to things with my Lee Ergo Prime.

What is that old saying...." The more moving parts something has, the easier it is for things to go wrong."

If my small tray continues to jam, it will get the same identical modification.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 06-10-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Yes you have to hold it at the right angle to get the primer to slide down the chute when it is lifted into position the biggest problem is 2 primers getting into the cage when the primers are lifted at the same time. This happens because the first primer doesnt go down the primer chute to the ram because the angle you are holding it isnt right. I just put tape on each side of the tray cover and taped the cover to the tray so that if 2 primers do get in the cage the tray cover wont pop off,all it takes is a nudge with a needle to remove one of the primers back into the tray to solve this jam.Hold it at the right angle and pay attention to the lift system and you will fly through some primers
    Last edited by MDphotographer; 06-10-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    MDphotographer

My question is " If the design of the tool is appropriate, should you have to be doing all that in order for the tool to work properly ? "

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 06-10-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I am not saying that the primer tray cover was properly designed because it wasnt it will pop off if you get 2 primers in the lift cage at the same time.I AM saying it is a very easy fix and not a reason per say to not use this tool completely.I love it as I use it now much easier on the hand to use then the old one and seats the primers better I think.

Boolit Bub
    Keeping an eye on the primer as it is lifted up and making sure it goes down the chute to the ram isn't a big deal I will take that over having my thumb worn out after 200 primers and having to use 2 hands to seat primers there after like I had to do with the original

Boolit Grand Master
    MDphotographer

My comments aren't intended to sway you or anyone else in any particular direction on the purchase, or use of a Lee Ergo Priming tool.

What you view as " not a big deal " and what I find very frustrating are obviously 2 things that are different in your view of things and my view of the same, and that is OK.

My comments are solely about my particular tool and my view on how to make it work in a suitable manner for my own personal needs.

Everyone will either buy or not buy, use the tool as is or modify their own Lee Ergo tool to suit their own needs as they deem appropriate.

After reading other post, it seems that I'm not the only one who has made a decision to modify the Lee Ergo tool........

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...o-Get-Outa-Bed!

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 06-10-2014 at 06:43 PM.

On the page: Casting & reloading handtools

See thread: Some days it pays to get out of bed

There are pics of how I used brass screws & brass wingnuts to secure the cover on my Ergo Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by MDphotographer View Post
    Keeping an eye on the primer as it is lifted up and making sure it goes down the chute to the ram isn't a big deal I will take that over having my thumb worn out after 200 primers and having to use 2 hands to seat primers there after like I had to do with the original
    Wondering how many you prime in one session. I usually do a few hundred, no more than 5 hundred, in one session and don't have worn out thumbs with the round tray tool. Maybe you're pushing too hard?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldphile View Post
    On the page: Casting & reloading handtools

See thread: Some days it pays to get out of bed

There are pics of how I used brass screws & brass wingnuts to secure the cover on my Ergo Prime.
    Thanks for the link you've offered , I went to the post and read all of it.

That looks to be a good way of dealing with some / or all of the quirks of the Lee Ergo Prime.

If it works stay with it.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 06-10-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Boolit Master

My question is " If the design of the tool is appropriate, should you have to being doing all that in order for the tool to work properly ? "
    I had this tool for about 1 week and called Lee, they sent me a new tray, same problems. Ben has explained it well.
    Also I don't want to spend money on a tool that in order to make it work I have to be standing on one foot with my hair combed a certain way, a window open half way and one planet slightly out of orbit.
    For a pick up and go tool with no frustration and minimum problems---- this tool ain't it.
    Back to midway for a refund, IMHO--junk good work Ben

Now if you want to really be Mr. handyman, and fix, modify, cut, re shape and add some new parts in order for it to work, Try the best built piece of junk to hit the reloading scene.
    The Lyman E-zee prime. $35 to $40 bux but be advised you supply the tool kit for the work a rounds.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast