Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tempted to join the missing

I've learned an awful lot from this forum, and seen a lot that is awful. I'm not afraid to ask questions and am not offended when I get told to read the stickies, above all I am thankful when I get a courtious response to an inquiry. Just because I read a sticky, does not mean that I understood it, nor that it was 100% applicable to my situation, so questions get asked. I love when someone replies to a question with "Hey, read the sticky", really? Which one?? No link?? The search engine on this site is OK, but not great. I've had people tell me that the reloading manuals are wrong and full of bad advice, and the advice they gave me I might try- at my own risk, and undertanding that risk, but then again I might not. Either way, my feelings are not hurt.

My learning curve seems to be leveling off, but not my tolerance for questions and comments. I've spoken to several members on the phone, received lenghtly E-mail solutions / answers to questions, and met a few members. I'm a better caster / reloader because of their efforts, and I appreciate it.

So when members post that they are going to leave, it is usually because they are "unappreciated". To me- "Thank You"s are to be done via PM unless there is actual information that you can add BECAUSE you tired something. Filling up the forum with "Thank You's, "Bump", "+1", just fills up a forum-fine for the PIT, oftimes makes it harder to find information.

I guess what I'm getting at is I hate to see people who are smarter than me leaving the forum, one less resource. But if ya gotta go... ya gotta go.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Oh GEE! You can't do that?

I do that all the time!

Well occasionally!

Well actually . . . once.

Oh by the way . . . it was actually three shots.

And it only took me 60 years to do it.
    Smart aleck comments like that is why nobody who is actually doing what you just ridiculed bothers to post about it anymore.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    This message is hidden because dtknowles is on your ignore list.

He is one of only 2 members that have worked hard enough to EARN this status.

Every time he shows up I know we are in for confrontations.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    It is worth reading the "Desiderata",Check it out those who do not know it.
    That is good advice!
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    That is good advice!
    Let us place it here...

Desiderata
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
    Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
    Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
    Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
    and everywhere life is full of heroism.
    Be yourself.
    Especially, do not feign affection.
    Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
    Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
    You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
    Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
    and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.
    © Max Ehrmann 1927
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master

If you are so underwhelmed with getting a pat on the back from offering assistance or help to others that need it, then you are on the wrong track here. I have been casting for over 50yrs now and I don't hesitate to share my knowledge with anyone seeking it. Yes, in the past others have ignored it and did it "THEIR" way, and later came back and said they wished they had listened the first time.
    Personally, I can't even grasp the concept of what you are complaining about, other than the fact that you must be the one and only best at what every it is you do, and you expect praise and acalades from everyone that reads your "POSTS". Sorry, but in this world it don't work like that. I learned a long time ago that the only person that can put me down and make me feel bad is "ME", others opinions and comments matter not to me.
    Maybe you should look in a mirror sometime and try and remember back when you got started and wouldn't it have been nice to have the help available then that there is now in this Chat Room. Something to think about, huh?
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Life gets allot easier when a fellow figures out that nothing on this board really matters much. Folks tend to invest way to much of their life and emotions in this rather insignificant corner of the cyber world.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Smart aleck comments like that is why nobody who is actually doing what you just ridiculed bothers to post about it anymore.

Gear
    He wasn't being a smart aleck, it was a gesture of empathy put in humorous fashion, as in, don't feel like the Lone Ranger,,,,,,,,I'm pretty surprised you took it that way Gear.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Stay out of the pit for three days and call me in the morning.

Also politics is a great way to lose friends.

Boolit Master

How can some one responding to your post upset you regardless of the content? They may be a 1000 miles away and you will never be in face to face contact. I was an outside salesman and faced confrontation quite often. My boss had a saying " The worst they can do is boil and eat you".
    There is no chance of that on any forum.
    An opposing or confrontational response should make you re-examine your position or alert you to something you have never experienced or it could be pure BS. I like to hear both sides to a story and weigh the evidence before I make up my mind. When a person entrenches himself into an idea that he is correct, that means any opposition is incorrect. I do not claim to be that smart.
    There was a line from the MASH tv show " If I knew everything I would run for the office of God". I also learn "Sticks and Stones".

I really think this thread has gone on long enough already. Let it die every one......
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Master

Amen !!!
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Life gets allot easier when a fellow figures out that nothing on this board really matters much. Folks tend to invest way to much of their life and emotions in this rather insignificant corner of the cyber world.
    True that!

A few of my friends also post on the some the same forums I post on. It always surprises me when they'll bring up something stupid someone has posted on the net, like it really matters. Hey, it's something stupid someone posted on the net, life goes on.

The nice thing about the net is you don't have to deal with the idiots and trolls in person, and there is this wonderful ignore button that filters the noise out of the signal on your cyber time.

Boolit Master

I have just started getting on here more again this board had plenty to offer but at times i understand what you said.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I dont know you, or any of you. Im new. I read a lot of stuff to learn some of the finer points. Might say a few things, but normally, close minded folks have more to say about what I do than my nerves will allow. Thats why I dont say a whole heck of a lot, or share much of the info I have. Because anytime you share info, some idiot will always be there to rag on you for something they dont understand or havent done themselves.

Like, for example, my wanting to convert 357magnum cases to LPP. They were once this way, i dont need a reason to want to do it. But my post of the same, looking for both info on how best to accomplish this, and old data for the same, garnered nothing but the usual "they wouldnt have changed to spp without a good reason" & "why dont you just lay in a lifetime supply of spp's". Not to forget my personal favorite of "why not just switch to 10mm, its better in all regards".

Bugs Bunny said it best when he said, "what a maroon!".

I dont know anyone that loves loading, and no one that casts. Those I know load to save money, and do it safely. But they do not have the passion for it. And casting is too much work, when bullets can be bought for so little.

Dont know if this is relevant or not.

Boolit Buddy
    Guilty of being a lurker for the most part ,very seldom post but read everything on a pretty regular basis .Most of what I have learned about casting has come from here . Never had a problem getting my questions answered . Only thing that has bothered me over the years has been the fact that some people let their mouths overload their butts. Never saw much profit in getting upset by others stupidity on the internet .argueing with an idiot just drags you down to their level .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s-3 View Post
    If you are so underwhelmed with getting a pat on the back from offering assistance or help to others that need it, then you are on the wrong track here. I have been casting for over 50yrs now and I don't hesitate to share my knowledge with anyone seeking it. Yes, in the past others have ignored it and did it "THEIR" way, and later came back and said they wished they had listened the first time.
    Personally, I can't even grasp the concept of what you are complaining about, other than the fact that you must be the one and only best at what every it is you do, and you expect praise and acalades from everyone that reads your "POSTS". Sorry, but in this world it don't work like that. I learned a long time ago that the only person that can put me down and make me feel bad is "ME", others opinions and comments matter not to me.
    Maybe you should look in a mirror sometime and try and remember back when you got started and wouldn't it have been nice to have the help available then that there is now in this Chat Room. Something to think about, huh?
    It idiots I am talking about are over in the Pit, I have for the most part been very happy with my exchanges in shooting related forums. I don't consider someone asking questions as an idiot or reactionary. I am not looking for a pat on the back. I just needed to vent about the lies and evil philosophy that is sometimes spread in the Pit. It goes on and on. I get the feeling sometimes that if I don't expose the lies they will be accepted as fact by the people who read the forum but don't post, lurkers and visitors. Some of the posts make me embarrassed to be a member but if some of us contradict those posts then someone from the outside would not see the forum as a bunch of crazies.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Bub

Where is this "PIT" that you all speak of?

From what I've read in this thread I may be sorry I asked though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PULSARNC View Post
    Guilty of being a lurker for the most part ,very seldom post but read everything on a pretty regular basis .Most of what I have learned about casting has come from here . Never had a problem getting my questions answered . Only thing that has bothered me over the years has been the fact that some people let their mouths overload their butts. Never saw much profit in getting upset by others stupidity on the internet .argueing with an idiot just drags you down to their level .
    As a member of the forum I feel some responsibility for the quality of the forum and if an idiot posts lies or misinformation here or advocates a philosophy that reflects poorly on the forum, I feel an obligation to try and correct that. When it gets bad I think maybe I don't want to be associated with this forum. I have been letting a lot of things go without inserting my opinion but I find that almost as stressful as arguing.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowpoke View Post
    Where is this "PIT" that you all speak of?

From what I've read in this thread I may be sorry I asked though.
    It is forum that support the politics and religion and humor and off topic subforums .

Tim