RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: got a goofy idea...so crazy ...it may work!....or not.

Boolit Master

got a goofy idea...so crazy ...it may work!....or not.

we mostly all know that if you forget to put powder in a pistol case,
    and shoot it , you'll most likely end up with a squib ( boolit stuck in the barrel)

...for arguments sake , lets use the good ole reliable 38 special.

so... the primer has just enough power to stick a boolit in the barrel ...but not enough to exit the barrel.

we all played with black cat firecrackers as kids...took them apart ...made bigger firecrackers...got our fingers burnt on the very fast
    burning flash powder thats in them.

has anyone ever tried to work up a load using black cat flash powder? any success?...too unpredictable?

am i crazy?

could this work?

didn't know where to ask this ...so i dood it here.

Gives me the creeps...had a cousin that handed me a 2" salute when I was 5....lit it and said hold it and it will make a pretty flash...didn't tell me the flash would contain blood...still scarred up and have no hearing in my right ear...I'd rather have held a 38 special.

Boolit Master

I have not and dont know if it would work.
    Seems a bit dangerous to me.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    I have not and dont know if it would work.
    Seems a bit dangerous to me.
    i don't mean to pack it full...could it be anymore dangerous than what we already do?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I made lots of flash powder as a kid. Made everthing up to and including M-80's.

Aluminum powder + sulfur + salt peter. Easy to make. Far faster than taking apart hundreds of firecrakers. Totally unpredictable! Most places you can't even buy firecrackers!!!!!!!!

Just stick with KNOWN smokeless powders we all use. Your body parts and life are far more important that shooting a few boolits with an unknown powder.

And be safe!

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master

Yes fircrackers are a much much faster form of powder than even bullseye is. Some of the fireworks also use very fine Black powder. And some are a chemical base now. It would be like working with an unlabled powder thats also not even a powder for this use. Pressures could spike tremdously for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    and shoot it , you'll most likely end up with a squib ( boolit stuck in the barrel)

so... the primer has just enough power to stick a boolit in the barrel ...but not enough to exit the barrel.

we all played with black cat firecrackers as kids...took them apart ...made bigger firecrackers...got our fingers burnt on the very fast

has anyone ever tried to work up a load using black cat flash powder? any success?...too unpredictable?

am i crazy?

could this work?

Try it and let us know the result's. And video or it didn't happen!

Super Moderator

Have someone video it and post it on you tube for us. NO don't do it.

Tried making a firecracker out of snapcaps, the kind you throw on the ground and they go pop... took apart about 200 boxes of them, piled the granules on a saucer.... well it is not something you should do if you are clumsy! dropped the scissors on the pile and created a pretty good boom and no small amount of shrapnel!!! still have scars to remember it by. I would think flash powder in a cartridge would build a bunch of pressure VERY fast. easier to just stick with plain ol' bullseye
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed

Boolit Master

Do NOT DO IT most of the powders used in firecrackers today contains Potassium per chlorate and aluminum it burns very fast and is corrosive.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Just to see what you are thinking: do you mean to blow the bullet out of the barrel by using this powder in a primed case with no bullet?

Why do you think this powder would work better than normal powder?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

After YOU find out let us know how it went!

Boolit Grand Master
    Are you a Surgeon looking for customers? As Ideas go, file this one under "REALLY, REALLY BAD" put your ten-digited hands in your pockets and saunter inconspicuously towards the exit. Sometimes you just have to ignore the "good idea" fairy.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

In Remembrance

I made a gun using 1/2 inch pipe with a cap with a hole drilled in it many years ago. A blackcat, wad, bb's, and another wad would dent a stop sign from 20 yards.

Boolit Master
    Would be a simple matter to put powder in the case and not bother with squibs in the first place. Black or smokeless has been working for quite a spell.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like an experiment that comes right behind "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post

am i crazy?

could this work?

WHY? Just plain why?

Good grief!

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    I don't remember when I did it or what gun or cartridge I used but I have shot a squib out that was stuck in the barrel using a primed case with a small charge of powder (normal powder). Would I do it again, it would depend on the details.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by websterz View Post
    Sounds like an experiment that comes right behind "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    putting unknown powder in any case and load it in any fire arm, not on my to do list

Boolit Master
    Not to kick you when you're down, but do a search for "blown up guns", and you'll see why this getting the reactions it is (keep in mind that those pics are of what has happened with KNOWN powder, with burning rates MUCH slower...)

This is the same as someone asking "how many grains of blank powder should I use with a 148gr wadcutter?"

Now, the easiest way to not have a "no powder/squib", is to LOOK in the case before you seat the bullet. If you're not comfortable with eyeballing the level of a small charge of gunpowder in the bottom of the case, use Trailboss.

Dan