Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No shiny boolits for me

Boolit Man

No shiny boolits for me

For some odd reason I can not cast shiny boolits I ordered a thermometer but it has not arrived yet, so I'm just looking for opinions on why no matter what I do my boolits go right from wrinkly to frosty. I preheat my molds on a hot plate and within a couple of casts my boolits go right from wrinkly and shiny to frosty and I know frosty is ok but I would really love some nice shiny ones. So this new setup I have is way better than the turkey fryer burner and cast iron pot I use to use however using that old combo I would get beautiful boolits. So I guess my question is frosty boolits are caused by mold being to hot or alloy being to hot, I'm hoping you tell me reduce alloy temp and keep mold temp the same.

Boolit Bub
    Frosty is too hot of an alloy/mold. Are you tearing the bases with the sprue cutter?

bhn22
    Don't get hung up on shiny bullets. All the tweaking in the world will never guarantee it. With my setup, shiny bullets usually mean that somethings too cool, or my alloy is too soft for my normal purposes. You can wipe frosty bullets with a piece of terry cloth and end up with a brushed finish.

Boolit Master
    If you want them to really shine, add some tin to the melt.

However, I wouldn't be too hung up on it. I get that real pretty shine only in a very specific heat range it seems, and staying in that range isn't worth it or even very useful. Nothing says frosties can't shoot.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Remember......photographic models!

If they will admit it, most that post pix of nice shiny boolits pick out the best and then hand polish each one to look really good.

I care not a bit if my boolits are shiny frosty. Heck, I will even take a few that have a small wrinkle or two. After all, I tell my wife wrinkles indicate age and wisdom!!!!!!! Ha...ha.

Just listen to the above and watch temps. Tin will do it......if you want expenisive boolits!!!!!!!

As long as they are round, the shape you are expecting (!), and filled out.......shoot 'em!

banger

Boolit Man
    Thank you everyone so much these are the exact responses I'm looking for, the whole point of casting is to save money and if I have to buy tin at fairly high prices it kind of defeats the purpose.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post

If they will admit it, most that post pix of nice shiny boolits pick out the best and then hand polish each one to look really good. banger
    I can say in all honesty that I have never done that.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine casts nice shiny boolits every time. But I know he pours 10% tin (he told me he does) and in my opinion that's way too much. Mine don't usually shine but they are perfectly filled, the weight is spot on and the dimensions are right where I want.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I just cast some bullets from a new Lee 340 grain 45 cal mold. The blocks are small and the bullets are big. Therefore the blocks get hot quickly. They were frosty at first (yes, I do pre-heat my mold with a hotplate) but when I slowed down my pace the bullets became shiny. I found myself waiting a minute or so after dropping bullets to re-fill the mold. I though to myself I could take a coffee break between pours. Just take your time between dropping bullets and filling cavities to let the mold cool a little and I think you'll find what your looking for. And, by the way, I did not put the frosted bullets back in the pot.
    Rick

Frosted bullets are good bullets. Shiny bullets may be good or not. My goal is good bullets. My bullets are frosted.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Frosted bullets are good bullets. Shiny bullets may be good or not. My goal is good bullets. My bullets are frosted.
    Sounds about right to me, plus Liberactchy liked shiny things
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Shiney bullets happen when they cool fast like in a not so hot mold or if you have no antimony in the mix.
    If you really want to see some of em shine, add more tin and cast into a warm mold till it gets too hot and frosts anyway.
    Pick out the few shiney ones and take a really good macro photograph with your Nikon camera.

OJ thats dry humour but really , good alloy does not shine very well. Good at speed casting nearly always makes satin bullets. satin is good and severly frosty means that the mold is entirely tooo hot.
    Pot temp does not matter other than excessively hot pots will overheat your molds fast.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Bub
    I got shinier boolits when I went to beeswax for flux instead of commercial stuff. Maybe that was only part of the equation...but I do like how it cleans stuff up.

Super Moderator

I get really shiny boolits when I cast with 1/25. 1/30, and even 1/40 alloy. Heck even my 45 cal round balls are shiny and they are cast from pure. I have found that boolits with antimony in the mix just don't cast too shiney.

Boolit Buddy

One of the resident experts posted a very good explanation of bullet quality as a function of temperature on here several months ago. I printed it out, but I don't remember now who it was or what the thread was called. As I recall, there was a very narrow window where there was good fill out, no wrinkles, and no frosting. Then just a bit hotter was good fill out, no wrinkles, and minor frosting that easily wiped off. This was a wider range, and therefore easier to achieve. I have to admit, that is where I generally cast and figure it is good enough for what I do. When I get more experience, maybe I can get into the narrow window.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post

If they will admit it, most that post pix of nice shiny boolits pick out the best and then hand polish each one to look really good.

banger
    I don't take pics of mine but they look every bit as good as Rick's no matter which ones you pull out of the coffee cans their stored in. And no more then 2% added pewter and no polishing.

A 1% increase in added pewter raises the cost of each pound of alloy 9 cents. So, if you have 10lbs of Pb at $1/lb and add 2% pewter at $9/lb, then your pot of 10lbs3.2ozs of alloy just cost you $11.80. Each 1% increase in pewter costs you $.90.

Boolit Master
    I like expensive alloy.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    A friend of mine casts nice shiny boolits every time. But I know he pours 10% tin (he told me he does) and in my opinion that's way too much. Mine don't usually shine but they are perfectly filled, the weight is spot on and the dimensions are right where I want.
    10%? That's crazy!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    I like expensive alloy.
    For show and tell, of course. Bulk no.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4778.jpg  
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

If you want some shiny expensive bullets try Lino.

It will get you both.

No, Mine are frosty too.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford