Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Subsonic K31 loads (very accurate!)

Subsonic K31 loads (very accurate!)

Just loaded up the following subsonic recipe:

Boolit: "NOE K-31" ACWW, Sized .309", Gas Checked, tumble lubed in Xlox
    Case: Prvi 7.5x55
    Powder: Red Dot - 6.0grs
    Primer: Fed 210

If you are like me and only have access to an indoor 50' range for the majority of the winter time then perhaps you are looking for some sub sonic cast loads for indoor use. My range doesn't allow any jacketed rounds or magnum rounds, so I found the following load on a site listing data for the 30-06 and decided to just give it a roll in the 7.5x55.

I was blown away by the accuracy of this load, all of these targets were shot standing in the offhand position at 50'

Each target represents a 5 shot group, except for the very top left which is 3 shots:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subsonic1 copy.jpg 
Views:	640 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	83306
    Sometimes a teacher, always a student.

Boolit Master

Thanks for posting that Nitrohuck. My brother just gave me a nice K-31 and I'll soon start loading for it.

By the way, nice off hand shooting.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 10-02-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    as a transplanted vermonter i know those greemountain boys can shoot !

Took this load out again the other day to my buddies 100yrd range with steel plates going from 10yrd to 100yrds out.

POA/POI was dead on all the way out, this load is my new favorite K31 load for <100yrd shooting, not to mention in a world where GP-11 has now reached >$.70/round it is nice to put these down the tube for about 8 cents each.

ty for the shooting remarks, in the words of Ken Roxburgh "Offhand is just damn FUN!"

literally leaving my house now for some more 50' indoor offhand, woot,

Boolit Master
    Are you using any filler to hold the powder against the primer? Some say it helps, other say it doesn't. Been shooting a 100 grain cast WW bullet over 5.5 grains of Bullseye in 30-06 with or without filler can't see any difference. Real accurate out to 75 yds then I'm getting verticle spread. Your's looks like a fun subsonic load for plinking and is better at 100yds.

No filler used... I am a a novice to say the least compared to some of the boolit-guru's around here, but in my limited experience this load recipe has performed beyond my expectation with zero presence of a filler,

I must raise a practical point however... When I am shooting offhand I most certainly have my muzzle pointed upwards before I make my final exhale and "fall in" to standing position. So inadvertently I am tipping my muzzle up between each shot, which is definitely something to note.

That said, this load still shot to POA on 3x3" steel plates out to 80+ yards, plinking offhand with no real muzzle tipping, and did fine from the sitting position as well (and in sitting I most definitely am not tipping the muzzle much, if at all)

More time will tell, and I need to shoot these on paper out to 100yrds, but as far as a practical round for <100yrds (not to mention for friends to shoot) it has more than fit the bill,

Boolit Man
    I just got a G11 and the dies arrived today. I'll give the load a try with the NOE boolit.
    Thanks from the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    I just got a G11 and the dies arrived today. I'll give the load a try with the NOE boolit.
    You might need an extra grain or two of powder just to be certain that the bullet will make it out of the 31" barrel. You can probably guess how I know this .....

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Buddy

I do something similar in 7.6x51 but don't use a gas check to save money and have no issues. Wish i never sold my K31 this was before i started to reload.

Boolit Mold
    Nitrohuck.....Can you tell me a little bit about the NOE mold being used? Does it cycle properly through your k31? I've been using a couple of Lee designs (160gr RN and 170gr FN) that get creamed when I cycle them through the action. I'm looking for an alternative.

Boolit Buddy
    Not Nirtohuck but the NOE cycles through both the K31 and the 1911 long rifle. Going to cast some more and try in the 300 blackout.

Dan

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, Treekiller.