RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Contender 45-70 14 in with muzzle tamer

Boolit Master

Contender 45-70 14 in with muzzle tamer

Can buy a near new Contender 45-70 14 in with muzzle tamer . It has a 2x7 Contender scope with Weaver base and rings .Cost $399 Buy or no buy? i of course handload and cast. Run not walk?

Boolit Master
    I have one, That I paid less for.
    The variable power scope may not hold up to the recoil.
    It is a handful.

Boolit Master

I have 3 45/70 Contender barrels , 14" with no muzzle tamer , 14" with the muzzel tamer and 16"
    As I am not sure of the current price of a new barrel , not the inflated Sujested retail price
    I am not sure how good of a price that is

Figure 1/2 or a little less for a used scope and as little as 1/3 or even 1/4 for a older scope
    And then add in the cost of a new barrel

But I can tell you , when I could still see better
    I shot a lot of IHMSA unlimmited class with 11 gr of Unique under a 350 gr cast Boolit
    Shot like a 38 spec and never left a target I hit ( opperator errors LOL )
    With factory TC rear sight there was 7 clicks between chickens and pigs
    Then 7 more to Turkeys and then 12 clicks more for rams

Easy to see the impact with the big lead spot

Now I use them for deer hunting

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Mold
    I had one on my G2 Contender. It was fun, but I never really downloaded it much. I was shooting 300gr. With H4198 IIRC. I had to put tape on my finger between the tip and knuckle to keep from bleeding on the first or second shot from the edge of the frame digging in as a result of the torque.

Banned

Those guns in any large caliber will eat hands. I mean EAT them. The silly gun is a handful even with the 7 TCU. I hate the grip more then any gun ever.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Those guns in any large caliber will eat hands. I mean EAT them. The silly gun is a handful even with the 7 TCU. I hate the grip more then any gun ever.
    Well, can't say its that bad! My 7tcu with iron sights was pleasent to shoot. At the 357 Herret/44 mag level it is brisk but doable. Those are 10 inch Iron sight. Still pistol size. Never got into the short rifle thing.

I LOVE mine. I enjoy shooting the Lee 500gr RF gas checked bullet. My load is 46grs of Varget. DO NOT DUPLICATE. Start low and work up. That is what mine likes. It is more accurate than I am. I use a 2x Leup on mine. It destroyed any variable power scope I tried. Also a set of shooting gloves does help. Mine will drop a full footed double sized ram shot above the centerline at 100 yards.

It is real fun to shot with 350gr loads with 25grs of 2400 IIRC. Just not as accurate.

Banned
    DragoonDrake:
    I LOVE mine. I enjoy shooting the Lee 500gr RF gas checked bullet. My load is 46grs of Varget. DO NOT DUPLICATE. Start low and work up. That is what mine likes. It is more accurate than I am. I use a 2x Leup on mine. It destroyed any variable power scope I tried. Also a set of shooting gloves does help. Mine will drop a full footed double sized ram shot above the centerline at 100 yards.

It is real fun to shot with 350gr loads with 25grs of 2400 IIRC. Just not as accurate.
    That Varget load sounds like a healthy load for a 3 3/4# pistol.

Boolit Bub
    I have 16 incher that I can't tell you how many rounds have been thrOugh it. The 11 grain Unique load is pleasant enough to be fun. I've shot hot loads to mild loads and it has killed on scope and everthing else I can point at here in Wy.

It is simply the most versatile and fun barrel I have. I have even run paper patched 230 grain rn through it.

You could find one cheaper I think, but the wait cuts into fun time and that has a cost as well.

Standing I grab the barrel with my off hand for added weight and to hold onto it. I have yet to be hit, but there is video proof that the barrel does get real close.

Banned

It is my large hands that is the problem. Those things beat me. I shot my 30-30 tender off hand with one hand a few times and a sledge hammer is kinder! No problem from Creedmore but standing off hand with one hand was brutal.
    I am not recoil sensitive but I don't like pain.
    I have the same problem with a Bisley.

Super Moderator

I bought one in .45-70 years ago, shot a couple of boxes out of it and traded it. Shooting it felt like hitting an oak tree with a cracked baseball bat.

Boolit Buddy
    just to add my 2 cents...
    I really know nothing about T/C contenders or the 45-70, other than the fact that I want both of them someday...
    I will say that I noticed a HUGE increase in muzzle blast (noise) when I screw my compensator onto my 10mm. I can only imagine that a "muzzle tamer" on a 14" 45-70 would make one ear-spitting bang!

groo here
    I have an SSK 45-70 with Magnaport.
    300 gr factory are easy to shoot and great for deer,BUT a big game load
    500 gr at 1300 to 1400 will wake you up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And what load shoots the best? the 500 gr! 3 shots touching at 100.
    The best setup is pacmires also do not put the off hand under the extention on the
    trigger guard or blood will flow.

Banned

I will take the BFR any day of the week. Most loads have less recoil then a .44. Heavy loads are still nice.
    Recoil does not bother me until some part of the gun starts to pound my knuckle. I have never had my palm hurt even with my 29's long ago that checkered my hand! Six double action shots at tires rolled down a hill was fun. We put cardboard in the center to see hits. I assure you, your hand gets checkered nicely!
    Long ago I had the original TC Hawken in .50. It was accurate but that stock did not fit any human. I don't know what they were thinking about. It was completely wrong with length and drop so I sold it and built a real Hawken.
    The Tender was the same, only fits a few guys.
    The most important thing do do is find someone with a gun you want to buy, shoot it before spending money.
    The Contender has a very sharp, quick barrel rise too. The angle of the dangle is just off!

Banned
    No reason to denigrate one to benefit the other. Fit is King. Try it out before you buy it.

Boolit Master
    The contender isn't for everyone. I own two 45/70 barrels and the gun has some pretty fierce recoil with either. I fitted mine with custom stocks that distribute the recoil better and use a past glove as well. $400 for a complete package sounds like a pretty good deal to me since many extra barrels are going for $200 a piece.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master
    Hi.
    I sold my contenders and got a Lone Eagle in 444 Marlin,better balance and feels better!
    Last edited by seagiant; 07-30-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Grand Master
    Fired one before with a muzzle brake.
    The first thing you see through the scope is the fireball. Then there is the chest thump from the concussion, the noise from the blast, and finally, the horrendous recoil.

Not recommended for the feint of heart. Fired three rounds and that was plenty for me.
    The guy who owned it, traded it for something else shortly after this range session.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin