Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My powder measure doesn't like Unique

Unhappy My powder measure doesn't like Unique

My Lee perfect powder measure has never disappointed me...until now.
    For some reason it wont throw Unique consistently. I was setting it up to throw 6.7 grains for some 40SW loads when I discovered this. One throw would be 6.7, the next would weigh 6.5, and the next, almost 7 !!! This pattern repeated itself again and again until finaly, I put away the Unique and pulled down some HS-6,
    ( which has always metered perfectly). POOP! I was looking forward to testing unique with my new Lee 401-175-tc boolits that I had just finished pan lubing. I suppose I could have hand weighed enough for a sample group, but I'd rather not mess with it if I couldn't use the powder measure later. Is this a common occurence with this powder / powder measure combo? Is there something about the texture of Unique that prevents is from working properly?

Boolit Buddy
    I've made this same comment in regards to my Hornady powder measure and I usually get a response that says Unique is a powder that doesn't meter well for many people, not all of course. I'm looking forward to finishing up my 1# can and moving onto something different -Brad

Boolit Master
    Really it does not meter well for anyone.I moved on.

Super Moderator

Win 296 does not meter well in my Dillon powder measures...gets all gummed up and sticks. For some reason H110 works a lot better. I'm told they are the same powder....

Unique works fine in my Dillon measures and RCBS's. I have replaced many of my old Unique loads with Trail Boss (cleaner burning) which also works fine in all my measures.

Boolit Buddy
    My Lyman 55 throws it pretty well. Within 1/20th of a grain.

Boolit Buddy
    I've heard the Lyman 55 does a good job on Unique.
    I'm thinking of getting one because I like Unique and I fight it with my RCBS.

Boolit Buddy
    It always ranges within 2 tenths of a grain for me. If I am using 4g I get consistently 4g-4.2g.

I like the powder for its wide use in many different calibers. I have come to expect it and tend to stay away from max loads as a precaution.

Not to mention I just bought an 8lb jug two months ago
    Better to be poked in the eye with a wet fish than a sharp stick

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My Lee perfect powder measure has never disappointed me...until now.
    For some reason it wont throw Unique consistently.
    Interesting because the Perfect Powder is the only measure I use for BPCR reloads and I have issues with consistent Unique drops. Make sure the measure is full and when you turn the handle (which you may want to loosen the phillips head screw) count 3 - 5 seconds
    That's all there is to it
    Regards
    John

Yup. True in my Redding measure.

That is why we have scales and powder tricklers.

Unique powder has a flat shape & rough edges that allow for what is called bridging. The flakes of powder grab each other causing chains of powder flakes to bond together. These chains of powder is what causes light charges by the powder that’s supposed to be in the charge hanging onto the powder in the hopper for 1 throw & then a heavy throw the next because of the chains of powder being compacted/broken.

The flat spherical powders tend to bridge more than the round spherical powders do.

A small deep hole in a powder measure/throw tends to have more problems with consistent powder charges & flat spherical powder. The powder measurers that have a shallow wide/large hole seem to have more consistent throws with these powders. That’s why some powder measurers tend to do better with a powder than other powder measurers do.

I’ve always used baffles in my powder throws to stop the bridging issues with some powders. The baffles also equal the differences in the powder charges with a full hopper & a 1/3 full hopper. They are easy to make, I used thin aluminum roof flashing & a pair of scissors to make the ones I use.

The other thing I do with my powder measurers is to run some graphite thru them once or twice a year to get rid of any static that can build up in them. I use a hornady powder measurer & a rcbs little dandy. Some powders I have to use a baffle with to get consistent powder throws. Once in a great while I have to use 2 baffles at the same time to get consistent powder throws.

My Lee Autodisc throws Unqiue just dandy.

Have you got a baffle in your measure to prevent the powder packing down? Also, how smooth is your action when cycling the device? You have to be consistent.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Unique seems to work well for me in my Lee powder measure, but like a previous poster said, I don't load anywhere near max loads, so I don't worry about it.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    never tried unique , but power pistol meters very well with the auto disc

6.3 is a good place to start with that lee 401

using the .57 that the book says should drop 6.4 it drops 6.3 every time

Boolit Master

Both my Redding and Dillon 550 measures are amazing in their accuracy and repeatability. Unique is one of my favorite powders and measures just fine.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master
    I occasionally have difficulties with Unique bridging. It seems to be worse on days with high humidity. I like Unique and load with it quite a bit, but I only seem to have problems once in a great while. When I do, I either switch to another powder or wait until the humidity drops.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

I have Redding, Dillon, RCBS and a Harrells measure and all do well with Unique. ALL these measures have powder baffles and I wipe the insides down with a USED drier sheet 2-3 times a year to help with static. Try varying your technique. I use a tap at the top and again at the bottom of the stroke with the manual measures and try to keep the stroke speed steady from throw to throw. Technique is the most important thing for getting consistant charges with ANY powder measure. Try different combinations and I'll bet you find one that gets the job done.

Boolit Man
    I have ran into the same problem with unique in a Lee powder measure, sometimes it meters great, and other times there seems to be quite a variance. I don't know if it is the weather, static electricity, or what. One day it wouldn't meter worth a darn, so I got fed up and just quit for the day. The next day, without changing a thing, it was metering fine again.

Never had a problem with Unique in my Lee PPM or Hornady LnL AP measure.
    Try this with the PPM,
    1. Tap the measure several times to let the powder settle.
    2. Turn the lever so that the cavity fills up.
    3. Two light taps (no more, no less)
    4. Turn the lever to drop the powder
    5. One tap to ensure all the powder drops out
    6. Weigh

I am almost always within 0.1g in the drops and well within 1.0g when doing 10 combined drops.

My old RCBS UniFlow never would measure Unique worth a darn, but my Dillon measures it very well.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Master

I never base charge weight off of a single throw. Use the average of 10 throws and you will be much happier. You will also get better repeatbility between sessions.
    At one with the gun.