Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dipping Alox Ranch Dog Method

Boolit Buddy

dipping Alox Ranch Dog Method

Wondering if anyone else is doing this method.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/Tips/Alox/

Looks pretty efficient and he claims to get good accuracy and velocity without leading.

A lot more lube than you would get by tumbling.

I like that you only need to run through the sizer once and without any Alox buildup.

Boolit Grand Master
    haven't tried it yet
    but it looks like it would work nicely
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

I've never had a problem with tumble lubing (I thin the alox and sometimes I'll add JPW), but I don't care for the looks of the alox on the bullet nose, so I dip 'em, much like Ranchdog does. Dippinginto warm alox, straight from the bottle seems to go on a bit too thick for me...
    Last edited by mdi; 08-12-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I use RD's dip method and it works well for me. I use a small forceps or needle nose pliers to grip the noses.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I just started using the dip method and I love it , works great with the big 45 bullets

Boolit Buddy
    I made up some of the Recluse 45/45/10. Do you guys think it will work with this method? Will it work better than straight alox at rifle velocities?

Boolit Master
    Given the use of gas checks, I would consider the dip method with LLA/Xlox to be excessive. I would expect that Recluse's 45/45/10 or even Rooster Jacket would be much better in terms of the smell of burning Alox hanging in the air.
    If one HAS to size (particularly to seat the GC). I would consider a Star sizer and lube to be faster.
    I haven't fired a gas check in about 25 years, but I think I used to just lower the bullet into the sizing die enough to seat the GC and NOT size the bullet. I was shooting Silhouette with a 7mmTCU and was quite happy with tumble lubing my bullets. I know I never did figure out a way to easily pan lube them and I know that my Lubri-Sizer was retired before then.

Boolit Buddy
    There is nothing like the smell of burning alox or 2 cycle fumes in the morning floating gently over the water.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joecool911 View Post
    I made up some of the Recluse 45/45/10. Do you guys think it will work with this method? Will it work better than straight alox at rifle velocities?
    I made up a batch of 45/45/10 and got antsy about it, so I threw in a stick of LARS' Carnuba Red....bad move; too thick to tumble lube without pre heating and too thin to use in the STAR. I've tumbled lubed, sized (and seated gas check if necessary) dip lubed and ran through the sizer again. Excellent results, but a lot of steps. I'll order a WAXMEISTER as soon as I pay MIHEC and NOE for the current boolit moulds.

As I say, probably too often, the RANCH DOG TLC 432 265 with gas check and XLOX lubed will clean my leaded pistol barrels with six rounds in most cases. The RANCH DOG mould for my 357 MARLIN Cowboy Rifle is next on the buy list.

Boolit Master

Tumble Lubes...........

Well, for what its worth, I'm trying a little of everything. Tumble lubing, pan lubing, mechanical lubing.

Currently, I am dipping my cast bullets in a 50/50 mixture of LLA and JPW. I then place them onto a styrofoam plate to dry over night. (See photos)

The 45 TC are Lee 230gr; I'll load these as they are, no sizing. BUT I do crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp die. The other cast bullets are Ranch Dog's 430-265-RF for my 44 Mag. These I will size to .429 and also finish off with a Lee FCD.

Just food for thought.

HV
    Last edited by HiVelocity; 08-22-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=HiVelocity;1372013.......................... .................................................. ....... The other cast bullets are Ranch Dog's 430-265-RF for my 44 Mag. These I will size to .429 and also finish off with a Lee FCD.
    HV[/QUOTE]

Your lube grooves are going to be pretty shallow if you size the RD to .429. I was sizing to .432 in the STAR and just got a .433 die from Lathesmith. I am using them in a herd of RUGER VAQUEROS and several 1894 MARLIN Cowboy rifles...the MARLINS love larger boolits and they're d*** good in the RUGERS too! I liked the design so much that I bought the NOE lube groove plain base version...don't need gas checks at 1000 feet per second loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Since I got the .30 cal 165 ranch dog have been dipping and it works great. Even been dipping my 500 S/W Lee 440's.

Boolit Master

Tried it today on my new RD 175gr 357 mold for my 1894C. Hopefully I can try them out next weekend.

Boolit Master

Shot 20rds in the Marlin 1894C (air-cooled #2 clone) and not a trace of leading. Accuracy was there too.

Other than not getting lube on the nose what are the benefits to the dip method. I may be wrong so this is not meant in a bad way. I have always thought that tumble lube was meant for the flat parts that contact the barrel and not of the grooves

Boolit Master

Not sure. Just trying something new. Michael designed the bullet and mentioned that this method worked.

Guess I should try my regular Alox tumble lube and my Recluse tumble lube to see if there's any difference in performance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    Other than not getting lube on the nose what are the benefits to the dip method. I may be wrong so this is not meant in a bad way. I have always thought that tumble lube was meant for the flat parts that contact the barrel and not of the grooves
    Dipping doesn't gum up the nose portion of my seating die..

Tumbling does..

Boolit Grand Master
    its actually faster (dry time)
    I have been dipping and it really works well
    30 can and now 45-70
    if Buds ever decides to send my gun.......
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrut View Post
    Dipping doesn't gum up the nose portion of my seating die..

Tumbling does..
    His method includes spraying with WD40 prior to sizing and seating the gas check. Then dip and cookie cut, done. My feeling is that you get a log more lube in the grooves by dipping.

Quote Originally Posted by joecool911 View Post
    His method includes spraying with WD40 prior to sizing and seating the gas check. Then dip and cookie cut, done. My feeling is that you get a log more lube in the grooves by dipping.
    again I always thought alox was for the flats not the grooves I really don't see how alox will flow out of the grooves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast