WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22lr head stamp?

Boolit Master

22lr head stamp Identification!

Just found this website and thought that it was pretty cool.

http://www.afte.org/ExamResources/ga...llery/album01/

Separating by head stamp for swaging .224

Looks like the above url does not work. This is another one without photos but works. http://www.cartridge-corner.com/usrim.htm
    Last edited by Utah Shooter; 02-27-2014 at 08:39 PM.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

I sort by bullet weight cause I ain't making bench rest boolits. I shoot varmints and like the effect when the brass jacket separates from... well, pretty much explodes the gopher. You could sort by stamp and then sort by weight, but I don't get enough shooting time as it is.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

In Remembrance
    I separate ALL my brass for ALL my calibers, they don't all have the same internal dimensions. Just look into something easy to see like a 9mm or 45ACP and you'll see the difference right away. As far as those itty bitty 22's are concerned I would imagine they are the same way. Meaning the inside in all likelihood will be different.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    I separate mine. It is a fair amount of work to make a bunch of bullets, so I figure for a little extra time, I can make them better.

It depends what you want out of your bullets. As MightyThor said, if you just want them to shoot ok for plinking, then don't. You will most likely see a difference if you at least sort by headstamp, but the best is from one lot of fired ammo. Different brands have different dimensions as GRUMPA said, not only interally, but also length. So you can improve accuracy and your over all length will be much more consistant.

Boolit Master
    I care for these to be accurate. I just got done separating about 2,000 of them. Half of them are CCI, about 500 Aguila and then the rest a mix of sorts.

Would you think it be better to try and use all the match head stamps? Such as Eley or Wolf?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

In Remembrance
    What I would do is:
    1) Separate brass by headstamp.
    2)Weigh the brass by headstamp 1 at a time to 10pcs.
    3)WRITE DOWN your findings (You Will refer to this at a later date).
    4)Continue with whatever it is your going to do with them. ONLY (for now) use the headstamp that has the most consistent weight.
    5) Send the person that helped you out on the forum a 12 pack come Christmas.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    5) Send the person that helped you out on the forum a 12 pack come Christmas.
    I am so inquisitive I would be sending way to many 12 packs.

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    Match headstamps might make a difference but I haven't done enough testing to tell yet. Sounds like you've already got them separated and off to a good start.

I know a bullet maker in Montana that used to make RF jacketed bullets and he told me they will group better if sorted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    I know a bullet maker in Montana that used to make RF jacketed bullets and he told me they will group better if sorted.
    Yeah I wieghed some of C brand head stamp. They were all dead on at 9.5 grains.

Thank goodness I have over 500 of them cleaned and will try to de rim them tonight.

​Mentor

Boolit Master

I separate my cases I have found some need to be treated differently than others. My best luck has been with federal cases my worst with Remington which has a lot of failures during point forming.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Mine has been exactly the oposite..Remington good Federal bad. Federal had a different priming mix that was more difficult to remove and the Remington goes through my Corbin de-riming die much easier. Could be differences in the punch to dies tolerance I suppose...?

Boolit Master

About a year ago I bought several thousand swaged bullets made from 22LR cases. They were all sorted by headstamp. I keep them by headstamp....dalesorted and loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Shooter View Post
    Yeah I wieghed some of C brand head stamp. They were all dead on at 9.5 grains.

Thank goodness I have over 500 of them cleaned and will try to de rim them tonight.
    One needs to be real careful in sorting if quality, uniformity, and accuracy are to be achieved.

Weighing 500 "C" (CCI) in at 9.5grs would give someone confidence to sort by headstamp alone for sure.... BUT as an example... One can find CCI marked loads (Blazer and maybe others) with the same "C" headstamp that are loaded in Minnesota by Federal. The cases look identical but brass weighs almost a grain more than "C" brass from Lewiston, ID!!

Super-X is another with current brass weighing in at about 9.7grs. Older Super-X casings weigh 9.2grs, being slightly thinner and will form different than current brass if mixed in with later Super-X brass.

Remington brass is/has been great for weigh uniformity and concentricity for 20 years or more. Anneal is important for correct point forming however with all the brands.

Eutectic

Boolit Master

MIBULLETS Yes I never realized that priming mix could remain in cases even after firing I thought the crack was dirt that I missed now I wash all cases first in a tumbler.
    Problem I have with Remington is cured by "proper" annealing which I did not do to start as it was before I found this forum. Last batch of brass was annealed in cheap toaster oven which heats brass to 650 degrees I heat it for 1 hour.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    firefly1957 Yes, proper anealing is required if you want to bring the bullet tips down to a size similar to what you can buy. A tumbler is a good way to get the dirt and priming mix out before de-riming. Saves a lot of wear on your punch too.

Boolit Master

For me the Remington cases seem to be cleaner initially(inside). Federal the dirtiest. CCI seems to be the heaviest.
    I do sort . Have started keeping some sorted by lot from the gun they were shot in (figure the worst part of a rimfire jacket is the primer indentation, so might as well have 'em all the same.
    Someday I'll just pull a few .22 bullets and form jackets from cases with no "dents" and compare results, just for the heck of it.

Boolit Master

I have been doing some experimenting with a roll of 40 gauge copper I got from the hobby barn. I have not tried to form 22 bullets have been working with .45 cal. swaged bullet instead Might be worth a try to see if it will work in making a .224 bullet.

When/If I get good results I will post as new thread. Copper is .003 inch thick and may be two thin for rifle velocity's.

In Remembrance

Mine are all going to go through a "full auto" gun, in rock and roll mode, so it won't matter!

Grouping in full auto is how many rounds hit the paper target.

Can you say, "720 rounds per minute"? 30 round mag in 2.5 seconds. As long as they feed properly......

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    That sounds like a interesting video...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast