MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro 1000 - How To Make Run Smoothly

Lee Pro 1000 - How To Make Run Smoothly

Howdy folks,

I figured my first post here might be of some help to Lee Pro 1000 owners or those considering buying the press. I have two of them, and they work just great for me.

Last month, I finished a series of videos showing how to make Lee Pro 1000's run nearly as smooth as Teflon on wet ice. Basically, it's a strip/clean/reassembly. It takes me about an hour to do this procedure, and your press will purr like a kitten afterwards. The procedure should be done every 3,500 rounds or so.

This is the key to making the Pro 1000 work well--keeping it clean. Hey, you clean your gun, don't you? Well, same for your press, just way less often.

The videos are available here, for free download. The example press is a .38Spl/.357M model, but the same procedure applies to all Pro 1000's.

http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/

So, for those of you who have had problems with them, especially the PRIMER FEED MECHANISM, don't give up on it just yet. Watch the videos, and if you still don't want your press anymore, PM me. I'll gladly take it off yer hands. And I won't even charge ya!

Hopefully this series helps some folks.

- Cowboy T
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome to the site and thanks for posting the info for the Pro 1000.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post

The videos are available here, for free download. The example press is a .38Spl/.357M model, but the same procedure applies to all Pro 1000's.

Can't get your link to work.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Sorry about that. Made a stupid boo-boo w/ file permissions on the server last night.

Fixed now.
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Banned

Thanks, I'll check it out as I'm considering buying one. I've watched a series of home videos on Loadmaster.com, they almost have me convinced it's a fine machine. I'm familiar with fitting, finishing, and fine-tuning lee's products (expecially the poorly moulded plastic ones) so it should be no big deal.

Gear

I do not know about the loadmaster but the pro 1000 can be made to work well i can usually maintain around 300-400 roumds an hour on mine if i want to after it is set up properly there are tips out there that help. The most important thing I learned to help with mine was painting a reference mark on the back left support so you know when the press is all the way down and therefore the primer is seated this will eliminate alot of primer reworks. Also slow down on the way down thanks Nathan

Banned

I make a few mods to the bullet feeder that keep it running smooth. It was problematic at best before. The mods make it work 100 percent of the time.

Howdy folks,

So, for those of you who have had problems with them, especially the PRIMER FEED MECHANISM, don't give up on it just yet. Watch the videos, and if you still don't want your press anymore, PM me. I'll gladly take it off yer hands. And I won't even charge ya!

Hopefully this series helps some folks.

- Cowboy T
    I would love to watch your videos without downloading additional stuff will they be on youtube or any other format anytime soon???

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
    I would love to watch your videos without downloading additional stuff will they be on youtube or any other format anytime soon???
    Excellent question. If your Firefox browser is fairly recent, that'll play 'em directly without any further downloads. That's how I do it.

Great videos, I watched em all. I've been running some pro 1000s for a few years and agree totally- they really are the only true budget option for progressive reloading. I wish lee would make a 'pro 1000 plus' which combined the 4 stage turret with a new shellplate so we could get another station, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Trickyasafox, I agree 100% with you. Matter of fact, my "dream" progressive press from Lee would be a 4-hole "Classic Pro 1000" built on the same body as the Classic Turret. Such a press would sell like hotcakes. However, that would cannibalize sales of the Loadmaster, so we'll never see that.

Lee 1000

Saw the video's prior to buying a 1000 and they helped a ton. Very well done! I've now loaded a couple of thousand rounds and absolutely love loading with it.

I did learn that operating the lever smoothly is important. Also that by fine tuning the indexing to keep the primer from hitting the shell carrier prevents almost all problems (if the plate is advancing just a bit to far, turn the screw left 1/8 turn and retry). Also found that setting the die depths for the back 2 dies should be done with shells in the 3 slots. Any rounds that are expanded/loaded or seated/crimped without a case in all 3 positions are not used.

The primer system is working great and I have far fewer problems than when loading with the Turret w/auto index (which wouldn't seat hard primers). Also the 1000 detects raised primers and doesn't eject them, a really nice feature.

The prior press was a 4 station, so I used the FCD from day 1. However I found that when loading for autoloaders that 3 stages worked better, contrary to popular opinion. So I had a blank hole in the 4 station and sold my FCD's. The seating depth and crimp are more consistent when performing both with one die, in my experience.

That's what helped me pick the 1000 instead of the Loadmaster. I suspect adding a 4th station would provide to much resistance for the frame of the 1000 which is why the LM is so much beefier.

Thinking of getting another 1000 frame as I have all the parts to swap between calibers so the incremental cost is pretty low. It would be nice to have it all ready to load all the time in either caliber.

Time to go load some 45 ACP, ttyl.

In Remembrance

Sorry Cowboy

I was not smart enough to make mine run.
    I gave it back to the man that gave it to me.
    Bought a Lee Classic Turret press and accessories and never looked back.
    I'm happy now.

Life is good

Boolit Buddy

I never could make mine run for more than 20-30 rounds. I sold it cheap and bought a Dillon 550. I'm very happy with it.
    Will Fly For Boolits

Don't own the 1000, but to those posting about the Loadmaster it can be a very efficient and effective press. If your a gadget guy and can follow online instructions, and have no problem tinkering you should be good to go on it. I will also say once its set up it runs like a top. I have not had to "constantly tinker" with it.
    "And finally, the Baby Bear looked and he said, "Somebody's sleeping in my bed, and the bastard's still there!" But Goldylocks had a Remington semi-automatic, with a scope and a hair-trigger!"

Still a good choice, looseprojectile

Quote Originally Posted by looseprojectile View Post
    I was not smart enough to make mine run.
    I gave it back to the man that gave it to me.
    Bought a Lee Classic Turret press and accessories and never looked back.
    I'm happy now.

Life is good
    No, no, that's a great choice, too. I also have a Classic Turret, and I love it. That thing's built like a tank. When I start loading for rifle calibers, that's what I'm going to use. If someone were going to buy only *one* press in his/her lifetime (yeah, right, I know, but let's just say), that'd be the one I'd suggest.

Boolit Grand Master

Smile Dump the primer system

I've fiddled with the primer system on mines for as long as I've had it.
    Only sure fix I've found for it is to remove the priming system and prime the cases before loading.
    Works great and no more priming problems.

I use mine mostly for .30 Carbine and .223.
    Used to load 45acp, but a friend gave me a Dillion SDB, so I use that now.

Guess I'm a lucky one with the priming system. I've learned to make sure it starts with no primer already fed. (sometimes I mess with things and if there was one fed already, the first case tries to feed another. Than you've gotta clear it and restart clean.)

When making a caliber change clean the priming feed with a Q-tip and some mineral spirits. Takes about 30 seconds total time.

Then primers load until thet are emptied from the tray and show a 1 inch gap in the top of the feed, with no primer feed problems. Having a 100% emptied tray makes it easy to refill the primers.

Gotta admit though, the pro auto-disk feeder has caused issues with small charges no matter what powder is used. After experimenting, the basic spring/returned auto-disk works much more consistently across 20 loads or more. Adding the swivel to the auto-disk ruins it. Adding the bigger hopper with on-off also ruins it. Either one gives a wide set of loads when the total charge is below 3 grains. Using both was horrible. YMMV (this was true on my old Turret press so it's not related to the 1000, it's a pro-disk thing/swivel thing that I evidently can't deal with)

The lowest charge I've ever used is 3.3 grains Bullseye when I was working up my powder-puff .38 Spl load. That seemed to work fine (I'm using the Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure).

It might also depend on which powders you're using. Haven't tried any yet, but I'm told that very flaky or very extruded powders don't do as well in Lee's disk-based powder measures. But Bullseye, Titegroup, Herc 2400, and Clays all work great.

The lowest charge I've ever used is 3.3 grains Bullseye when I was working up my powder-puff .38 Spl load. That seemed to work fine (I'm using the Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure).

It might also depend on which powders you're using. Haven't tried any yet, but I'm told that very flaky or very extruded powders don't do as well in Lee's disk-based powder measures. But Bullseye, Titegroup, Herc 2400, and Clays all work great.
    When going below 3 grains is when I hit problems. The basic auto-disk works great for me with all the powders I use including 700x which is a flake. Had problems with it (700x), HP-38 and some others with the pro, so it's sitting on a shelf. No problems since switching.

I did do some testing, after adding the swivel to the basic unit the consistency dropped off. After adding the pro-hopper to the basic unit consistency dropped off. The two of them together magnified it. Again, this is only with loads lighter than 3 grains. Actually lighter than 2.9 to be really precise.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 03-21-2010 at 11:50 AM.