MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Thoughts on making a sudo pig target

Boolit Master

Thoughts on making a sudo pig target

Hmmm Iv'e been mulling this over for a bit.

With a bit of insight and help I might be able to make up something like a pig to shoot at to test different ideas for pig loads.
    O.k. I know that with the 30-30 170's PP'ed fp loaded flat put suposed to work well.
    Or even a fp 150 grner. PP'ed

But I got this silly idea in my head since reading the "whisper" forums that a big slow moving bullet may do the job within a reasonable range.

Suits me I like my plain cast loads plinker loads ....easy to do...accurate and above all cheap!!!

Things I have thought of...

Hide...some carpet

Gristle plate..more carpet???Or carpet grey spongey layer.

Bones...wood or maybe a bessa block

Innards...dry rags bunched up.

Any thoughts on the matter????

Hopefully I'd like to make something for a frontal shot charging shot and a side on shot.

Just to see what sort of performance I could expect in real life so as to speak.

Something I would like to maybe test before I ...."Sneak up on the blighters unawares (sneaky sneaky style) and wait till the "shot" presents its self. "

I'd rather not see them slowy trot off over the horizon in a small speck of dust or have them come over sharpening its tusks on my bones till it slowly winds down like a christmas toy on duracell batteries...

Phew!! that sort of thing...

I can shoot my gun but I don't know what it will do yet....Sad indit

I know placemant placement but its gotta get in and do the job and I got a few ideas I wana test before I make a complete balls up of everything!!!!!

Barra

Talk about weak as Pi$$
    Last edited by barrabruce; 12-31-2009 at 12:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

By layering several different materials and wetting it all down you may sort of simulate a "pig" but unless you compare results with a bullet of known performance you will only get comparative results, not definitive results for a real pig.

Even then it is likely to be a bit of a crapshoot.

Certainly wouldn't hurt and might be quite educational as well, and it would give at least comparative results between loads and cast boolits as well as a comparison to "J" bullet performance in the same target.

You might be able to get cow bones from a butcher which would be better than wood.

Gristle plate ~ maybe sections of rubber tire? Tread would be best if not steel belted or maybe heavy truck or tractor tire sidewall which would be fabric belted for sure.

Layers of inner tube and carpet might make a decent "hide". Might also work for gristle plate in 3 or 4 layers of each.

Just had another thought. BruceB I think was working on a bullet tester using rice soaked in water as the catch medium. Thick pasty rice or oatmeal in small inner tube might make reasonable organs if a couple were placed in the boolit path.

I have Bullet Test Tube which is filled with a green wax ~ very similar to toilet seal ring but a little bit stiffer and not quite as sticky. They are expensive though and quite small. You need two at least for rifle. I thought about mixing toilet seal ring and paraffin to make another but haven't got to it. Also somewhat expensive but re-usable by melting and re-casting.

The Bullet Test Tube people say it is only good for comparative results and does not simulate live flesh. However, adding some inner tube/carpet hide and some bone in the mix might be closer to the real thing.

That is about all I got.

Have fun and keep us posted.

Longbow

Banned

maybe an old tire stuffed with a cowbone a waterjug next duct taped together would suffice.
    i have seen a lot of handgun rounds stopped by tire treads.
    but the sides would be close to the gristle on the shoulder.
    you might need something behind it to stop the boolit at least i'd hope so.

Boolit Master

Talking

I hear people resemble pigs as far as tissue and bones, maybe the local warden naa just kidding. For bones maybe a butcher shop will give you some pig bones for a test.

Banned
    I know a 311440 over 10 grains of unique will go clean through the sides of a sick dying and downed holstein....that's all the help I am. It killed her quite quick, but the reaper was not far away anyhow. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR QUEST.

Maybe you can find a local dairyman that understands your quest and is willing to make a phone call when one needs put down....I did.

Just be careful shooting at tires...if the boolit does not make it through...it is gonna bounce back @ you...you will not like it. I know a fella that still has a nice chunk of his shinbone missing from a 38wadcutter propelled by uniroyal.
    Last edited by 357maximum; 12-31-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: additional thought added

Boolit Master
    I'll have a look around and see what I can muster up.

No dairies in this area or such...but according to some source's ....plenty of lead deficiant donors at 2-3 am in the morning after the night club in town shuts apparently....Hmm maybe not....

Tires and stuffing will have to suffice.

Will keep the uniroyal bite back in mind. may test at 100 yrds!!

Now I'll have to cough up for some "factory stuff"
    What ever they got in town.
    At $2 a shot they'd better be something absolutely awesome in performance.
    Never shot any in this gun.

Stingy bugga with short hands and long pockets...

Boolit Grand Master

Very wet newspapers bundled up, old worn out boot sole or heel for the
    gristle plate. Cow bones from the butcher shop for bones. Plan on getting
    about 30" or more of penetration if you miss the bones!

My pistol testing shows that I get almost exactly half the penetration distance
    with wet newspapers as the big guys get with their high dollar ballistic gelatin
    tests and the JHP bullets look exactly the same. So if you shoot thru a bone
    and get 18 inches of penetration, you would expect 36 inches in 'real life'.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Why not just shoot a pig?
    Glen

Exactly my question. They only cost about $90 here, and then you just have to let it grow up.

Boolit Master

Looks like this:

. . . . .

8"

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-01-2021 at 11:44 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    Thanks all ...this has provoked some thoughts and ideas!!!!

I don't eat pig makes me crook usually.
    Bit of bacons o.k. thou.

If it don't turn up like shooting a real pig in real life so be it.
    I think I may find interesting to see how differnt bullets perform anyways.
    May be even surprise myself I what I thought would work etc.
    Will use a factory charge as a errr datum point to work off.

Plans may be a foot soon.

Barra

I'm with Glen.... all this effort could be better ued to hunt hogs....

Banned
    Hogs are not as tough as folks think. Any slug you use on deer will be perfectly fine for a wild swine of any size. Grissle plate? Yeah, they have a layer of fat/ scar tissue, but it aint bullet proof.

I've taken them with everything from 50 beowulf down to .22 lr.

Boolit Master
    No such thing as rubber chunks in this neck of the woods.
    Think you all are right thou.in one way or another....just shoot a few pigs save the hastle!!!!

Will knock up a wet paper tester when the new phone books come out thou...should be interesting if not enlightening.

Thanks for all the advice ..will re read this when the time comes.
    AS now its too hot to be buggerising around too much.
    (got jobs around the place I should be doing)
    ITs gotta be better than a 22lr and heaps better than nought what ever I use.
    I think I can come up with a old tyre thou!!!!

Went for a look at one spot the other day but climbing up the hill in inpenatrable jungle after it rained knocked me up some.(wet season)Tracks and rooting everywhere.
    If we weren't on the way back I would v'e turned back up the hill cos I could hear one not 20 feet away.Some where there in the next thickett or two.
    But it was getting to dark to see the wait awhiles and stinging trees to navigate out again.
    (read ...I was beat and already twisted up me wonky knee and couldn't give a monkeys at the time as well.Hear that...Yep ...wanna go back ??? Awwhhh bugger it ..next time)

Cheers
    Bruce
    Last edited by barrabruce; 01-07-2010 at 10:41 AM.