Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataPBcastcoInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Gonna whip up my first batch of 45/45/10

Boolit Grand Master

Gonna whip up my first batch of 45/45/10

Do I have to use mineral spirits, or will acetone work? For all other painting stripping cleaning and thinning I prefer acetone over MS. I realize this is not paint, just wondering if anybody has tried it.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Shoot a PM to Recluse. He's got his thumb down in this and can give you a good, straight answer.

In Remembrance
    Acetone isn't going to work--it dissipates/evaporates extremely fast and it doesn't mix well whatsoever with the alox.

Tried it. It failed miserably. (I used to use a lot of the stuff, too, a long time ago)

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I'm glad I asked. I have to say that I could get used to this "learning from other peoples mistakes" stuff.
    This sight is the coolest thing Ive seen since I first typed "www."

Mineral spirits is a universal solvent used for petroleum products. It's my understanding that when crude oil is refined, many different products are created which run the spectrum from asphalt to mineral spirits. Since Alox and JPW are petroleum products, you want to use a petroleum solvent.

Boolit Grand Master

Finnished! that was as easy as falling off a log! I did notice some things about this stuff that has not been mentioned thus far.
    #1 There must be a lot of shooters out there that are just as broke as me, who needed so desperately to make their lube last that they came up with this mix that not only doubles the original amount but makes it go much further than strait LLA.
    #2 Because it goes so far, if you have just a few bottles lying around (I had three that were less than half full, and four that were brand new) you probably have a lifetime supply.
    #3 women hate the smell of this stuff so they banish you from their kitchen for the rest of the day, which gives you more time to reload/cast boolits.
    #4 going along with point number 3, you can add about one day to your sentence for every utensil you "ruined" (read commandeered) in the making of your new lube! I "borrowed" a sauce pan, a spatula, and a funnel, so I should be left in piece for the entire 3 day weekend!!!!!

Thank you cast boolits for giving me yet another fount of blessing.

Banned

goodsteel

When you are shopping you will note that Mineral Spirits is available in 2 flavors. Standard or Odorless. The odorless is a little less offensive but Lee Liquid Alox cannot be relieved of stink.

Gary

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah cause you know, it would be inhumane to kill a deer with a stinky boolit!
    Hey compared with all of the hazards that go along with this sport, stench is a non-issue with me.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Yeah cause you know, it would be inhumane to kill a deer with a stinky boolit!
    Hey compared with all of the hazards that go along with this sport, stench is a non-issue with me.
    The lady just ripped me a new one. The smell of cooked 45/45/10 + Hoppes #9 and Gun scrubber from gun cleaning is exhilarating.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Atakawow View Post
    The lady just ripped me a new one. The smell of cooked 45/45/10 + Hoppes #9 and Gun scrubber from gun cleaning is exhilarating.
    I got banished to the shed when I play with anything that has the slightest odor. Good thing I have elec. light and heat in the winter out there or I would be up sh!!s creek with out a paddle and not be able to get anything done.

Banned

Goodsteel, I'm going to offer the complete set of Gear's Rules since it seems appropriate for this topic, especially #2. Please, Please take ten bucks and go "garage saling" for old spoons, kitchen measures, nasty old hot plate, old hand towels, saucepan, etc.. Lube alchemy tends to have a permanent effect on these items, so get your own!

Gear’s rules
    #1 When pouring or transferring materials, the quantity spilled is directly proportional to either it’s value, hazard, or the degree of difficulty in cleaning it up.
    #2 Improve our national marital statistics: Stay out of SWMBO’S kitchen with boolit stuff.
    #3 Box o’ Truth rule: Shooting stuff is fun.
    #4 Just because others couldn’t do it doesn’t mean you will. Think about it.
    #5 The mould will finally start dropping gems five minutes before suppertime.
    #6 Don’t argue with stupid people, argue with interesting people who happen to be wrong.
    #7 Properly stored ammo doesn't spoil, eat, or increase your rent. So stock up.
    #8 You can't shoot straight wheel weights, they have to be made into boolits first.
    #9 Hodgdon will discontinue the only powder that ever shot straight in your favorite rifle.
    #10 Things go awry when you least expect it, and are particularly deficient in armor plate.
    #11 Beware the loose nut behind someone else’s reloading press.
    #12. If one accumulates more than 1,000 rifle or 2500 pistol cases of a given caliber, it becomes immediately necessary to purchase a gun chambered in that caliber, along with dies, moulds, sizers, top punches, powder, primers, membership to a public shooting center with a long enough rifle range, ad nauseum.
    #13 Your best groups will be multiple, 10-shot ragged holes you made with no witnesses and won’t ever be able to duplicate again with the same gun and load, even when alone.
    #14 No matter what you think now, you will never have enough gun stuff. Only the President does, he’s got the four long arms of the military, plus about 2500 ICBMs with the trigger in a suitcase.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

geargnasher, I think you have it. I have experienced just about every one of those pearls of wisdom first hand.

Boolit Buddy
    +2 for geargnasher's wisdom.
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Quote Originally Posted by bpratl View Post
    +2 for geargnasher's wisdom.
    Real close to Murphy's Laws of Combat I have posted on my wall. Kids love it!

Boolit Master
    Can Gear's Rules be made a sticky?
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Quote Originally Posted by Centaur 1 View Post
    It's my understanding that when crude oil is refined, many different products are created which run the spectrum from asphalt to mineral spirits.
    They 'run' a lot farther than that.....