Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First run at PC

Boolit Buddy

First run at PC

Using Smokes Carolina Blue, non-stick aluminum foil, and a convection/toaster oven, 400°for 20 min.
    Shake and bake. I read somewhere here that humidity had to be relatively low.. well that's not much of an option where I live. It was drizzling while I did this.

Coating appears to have added .002"
    Last edited by long_arm; 03-14-2022 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Master
    Looks good. I use Smokes also-- same temperature although I use 15 minutes. adding 0.002 is consistent with what I see also. Parchment paper also works just as well as non-stick foil. I think you have the process down good.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Good lookin boolits, I use Smokes also.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Buddy
    Beginners luck.
    I tapped the forceps lightly on the side of the #5 container.. think next time I'll tap a little harder.

Beginner question: do I need to remove the airsoft BBs from the remaining powder/ the No.5 container now? Or can I leave them in, given that my next run will be the same color?

Thanks gents!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Looks like you are on the right track.

Those look great! Many of us use Smokes powder, it works well. I always leave my BB's in the container.
    You should try the non stick baking mats they sell. I got mine at Walmart, they work great and are inexpensive.
    You're doing great, have fun.

I just powder coated for the first time today as well with smokes powder. A buddy gave me the powder so I'm not sure the exact color. I didn't shake the container as much as I should've because the lid was leaking but I still got decent coverage. I stood all the bullets up. Is it really necessary to do that? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapchat-1789892144.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	297662

Boolit Master

LOOKS GREAT!!

As suggested, loose the foil. Its costly & dosent last Parchment paper cheaper & can use it multiple times. I have switched to Copper oven liner. Used some sheets 50+ times!!

To answer the "standup only" question. Some powders no some yes. ALL work well W/standup. SOME ok with basket. Try and see!

CWo
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Don`t sweat the drizzling damp weather, I almost always cast and coat on crappy winter days when cant get outside in the weather or simply dont want too, when its like that the humidity will be up and over 80 % and the powder sticks and coats well, your results look as good as any turn them into noise and a smile

Cheers

Boolit Master

I don't even use BBs anymore and I think a few others have quit as well. I got tired of fishing the boolits out of them. You might try a batch without them and see how it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by long_arm View Post
    Beginners luck.
    I tapped the forceps lightly on the side of the #5 container.. think next time I'll tap a little harder.

Beginner question: do I need to remove the airsoft BBs from the remaining powder/ the No.5 container now? Or can I leave them in, given that my next run will be the same color?

Thanks gents!
    I leave mine in the container with the BBs. I put a desiccant pouch in the container also and close the lid. I doubt any of my containers are truly air tight. I also add some styrofoam chunks in with the BBs to add some static charge when I shake them up. I also have good luck with Smokes powder.

PS tapping each one harder will not hurt. I’ve dropped them in the floor, by accident, and the coverage is still good.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    Silicon baking mats. You'll not regret it. Use them over and over.
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    ---------------------------------
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by long_arm View Post
    Beginners luck.

Thanks gents!
    Make or buy wire mesh baskets. Then bump and "sift" easy peasy.
    As for BB's. No wrong answer. Static is created faster with more surface contact. This is why I always say SWIRL NOT SHAKE. BB's just make more contact so more static quicker.

One of THE BEST containers I have used was made from 6" PVC tube and caps. But double freezer zip Loc in your brass tumbler. NOW THAT MAKES STATIC!!!

You can buy "drawer organizers" to use as sift/baking baskets from bed bath and beyond in line.

CW

Here is a couple videos I made showing my methods

https://rumble.com/vtz57g-pt-1-powder-coating.html
    https://rumble.com/vtz723-part-ii-powder-coating.html

Hope it helps ya.

CW

Boolit Master

Long Arm, you pc looks great!

Others here who live in WV will probably agree with me,...we have rain and high humidity...then we have high humidity and rain...and then we have foggy days!

I powder coat in our beautiful rain-forest weather, and using Smoke's powder, and get great results.

If boolits are "caking-up" with too much powder, I add more boolits to the container. If the boolits are not taking the powder nicely, I add more powder, or take away boolits, and/or shake more vigorously for a longer time. Just my method!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all for the input.
    A lot of fun and surprisingly easy. Thanks again for the great suggestions!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjdd23 View Post
    Those look great! Many of us use Smokes powder, it works well. I always leave my BB's in the container.
    You should try the non stick baking mats they sell. I got mine at Walmart, they work great and are inexpensive.
    You're doing great, have fun.
    I normally use non stick tin foil or parchment paper but I also used the baking mat in the past. I decided to try the baking mat again last night on some fresh cast.45acp SWC, but I noticed the base of the boolit doesn't bake as well as the rest of the boolit using the mat. Never had that happen with foil or paper. You can see in the photo how the bases are not shiny. I hope they are still ok to shoot this way. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220315_004926.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	297670

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Looks great. Your screwed. Now when the next one does not come out right, you're going to be bent. LOL Good job.

Bye the way, ugly bullets shoot good too.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Looks great. Your screwed. Now when the next one does not come out right, you're going to be bent. LOL Good job.

Bye the way, ugly bullets shoot good too.
    Thanks....so the bases like this are ok?? I figured that's where all the pressure is and it would need to be covered and baked well. The powder went on really well so I have no idea why the bases didn't " cook" as well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220315_002108.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	297672

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Proper heat, proper bake time will result in proper results. (Pre heat just like real baking BULLETS need be 400 for 20min NOT JUST OVEN TEMP.)

I have baked on a wire basket, a tin tray that cane with oven and 1/4" thick aluminum. Done so on Foil, parchment and a couple Different baking liners.

Watch my videos and you will see what works and has worked for me for years. I have tried to be as complete and consice answering to issues many have spoken about. Time and temperature are most important for proper results.

CW

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Proper heat, proper bake time will result in proper results.

I have baked on a wire basket, a tin tray that cane with oven and 1/4" thick aluminum. Done so on Foil, parchment and a couple Different baking liners.

Watch my videos and you will see what works and has worked for me for years.

CW
    Actually just finished watching one of your videos. Interesting. Ive used parchment mostly in the past and never had bases that didn't cook. I'll take a closer look when I get home to see how they really are.