Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why "Boolits" over "Bullets"?

Boolit Master

boolit

there is a sign on my barn that says ( the boolit factory ) when people ask me why i spell it like that i have several explanations i use. one is i only made it to the second grade in school ! the other is, what its spelled wrong ? and then my favorite, may we talk funny down here in de swamp's

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    True and I have been beat up bad over boolit, it is hated by many, even Veral hates it.
    But we are a special group here! No other site has so many members that get along like we do. We can fight tooth and nail but without anger and we still stay friends. I am starting to think other sites hate the word because of how well we get along, they don't have that.

Oh boy,

I emailed Veral about some lube and used the term boolit. I asked him if I could send him a boolit with LBT on it , so he could tell me if it was commercial, blue or soft blue. I got my sizer with LBT in it, but never knew which one it was. I was able to size a few with what was there.

LOL. He will curse it (boolit) , and not respond....lol..

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption."
    "Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses."

Ah-men.

I belong to a couple of other outfits like this. One is a bunch of folks who go out of their way to lovingly collect, refurbish, catalogue, discuss, and help one another with the identification, refurbishment, and use of antique hand tools. Sound familiar? Each tribe has their own dialect, alf-a- bet, and lang-wich. I keep an eye out and periodically sprinkle a code word here and there on the feeling that sooner or later I'll find another cross-pollinator.

Case in point, I see Skimmerheads post, I wonder if that means somebody thought he had a head like a 'gator, I google-fu: http://www.bing.com/search?q=what+is...ox&Form=IE8SRC

Now, when I get around to trying to get that metal lathe up and running, I've possibly got another resource cause he's also over at practical machinist.

Like Goodsteel, my google-fu kept flipping CB at me. It surprises me not when CB tops the page when I search, and it's rarely *NOT* CB's when I do a search anymore.

It's Boolit's cause it's real folks doing something enjoyable, in a nice setting.
    Last edited by Hamish; 01-26-2012 at 02:29 AM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

it can be both a pronoun, and an verb.
    It's also a name. I used it for my first born son! Lol
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Buddy
    The person at the bank or doctor's office asking for the last four digits of my "sosh".

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! Stop it already!

Boolit Buddy

It's and easy and fun way to pi$$ some people off.

Boolit Bub

Smile

I am pretty much with Bret4207 on this one. I have no problems with the use of a "non word" in the name of our forum or in referencing cast bullets in general. Life is to short to fret over such trivia. I actually think it sets us apart in a neat sort of way. I utilize this forum to broaden (and sometimes share) my knowledge / experience with shooters sharing similar interests. I'm not here for lessons on English grammar or to share "deep thoughts" with members of Menza. Have a great day and enjoy a great hobby......
    Speak softly and carry a big stick... TR

I've been on the forum for a few years but as can be seen, I don't post very often. I've been casting bullets for 40 years, though. I remember 3 or 4 years ago (maybe longer) a new member (no, not me) used the word 'bullet' in a post and several others jumped all over him for it. It was kind of a turnoff, but I haven't seen anything like that lately. It doesn't bother me if people type 'boolit', but it would feel like an affectation for me to do it.

Boolit Master

I will type boolit, but when it comes to talking, I pronounce it the same way bullet is pronounced. For me to do otherwise wouldn't be natural, and would just be an affectation.
    Last edited by MikeS; 02-02-2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Just had to add 'affectation' to my post!
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Quote Originally Posted by ofreen View Post
    I've been on the forum for a few years but as can be seen, I don't post very often. I've been casting bullets for 40 years, though. I remember 3 or 4 years ago (maybe longer) a new member (no, not me) used the word 'bullet' in a post and several others jumped all over him for it. It was kind of a turnoff, but I haven't seen anything like that lately. It doesn't bother me if people type 'boolit', but it would feel like an affectation for me to do it.
    Well anyone who uses the word affectation in a sentence is obviously too smart for this site anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Well anyone who uses the word affectation in a sentence is obviously too smart for this site anyway!
    I've never used the word until now. Been waiting years for just the right moment.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Metrhinks one knowing the meaning of the word is about equal to using said word.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Well I do like to eschew obfuscation where I can!
    Last edited by Markbo; 08-19-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    Well I personally hate the word 'boolit' as it sounds childish and uneducated. I am, however, willing to put up with it and accept that many here feel differently. That's fine, I just won't use the term in my posts.
    AMEN! I just can't bring myself to use it, as it sounds either childish or uneducated or both. I won't try to get others to not use it (to each his own), but I just can't use it myself.

Boolit Master

And since the 'p' was silent, as in 'pneumonia', it was dropped from the spelling...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

And of course it is an affectation - so what?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

If you think the word BOOLIT makes people unhappy, just try using the term .45 LONG COLT around the cowboy crowd. And as for affectation, well that's why we have penicillin. Clears affectations right up.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ofreen View Post
    Isn't it an affectation to use the word affectation ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hornady308 View Post
    If you think the word BOOLIT makes people unhappy, just try using the term .45 LONG COLT around the cowboy crowd. And as for affectation, well that's why we have penicillin. Clears affectations right up.
    I've made that mistake before. You would have thought I'd insulted their mother!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Get on a domain where any firearms related words or websites are blocked, you may gain a whole new liking for the word boolits.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!