Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2011 nevada cast bullet shoot may 20-21-22 2011

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NVcurmudgeon View Post
    Onceabull, I was bringing two pistol caliber leverguns only, but your proposed lever match means I'll have to load some .35 Rem. for the 336A as well! Irons and 200 yd. sounds good to me.
    I don't think the Ruger #1 will pass muster as a "lever gun", unless widespread bribery of a depth and breadth beyond my means is resorted to. Alas, a 4th long gun will have to make the trip it seems. Rick will find room for it, I'm sure.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Man
    well last minute change, just gonna be me coming, my significant other wont be attending.

Boolit Master

Major bummer....

Got tagged for criminal grand jury duty. Can't go.

I'm not a happy camper.

Dutch

Hey Dutchman,

Really sorry to hear you wont be there. Was looking forward to meeting you. If I ever get up your way, I'll get in touch ahead of time. Hope you'll do the same if you ever get down this way.

Sincerely,
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Major bummer....

Got tagged for criminal grand jury duty. Can't go.

I'm not a happy camper.

Dutch

Duthman, just tell them that Dick had it right, first we must kill all the lawyers! Seriously I much regret your absence. I was looking forward to admiring your Mausers and seeing if your avatar is a good likeness.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Mold

We are here!!!!

Hello....we are mac's cousins checking in!!!! Sorry but we've made a committment to keep in touch more...Any way there are 4 of us here, Myself(Chrystal), my sister Geri (angelfrog), who, by the way, won the women's 50 yd last year AND my daughter Taylor who is new to the group (She's only 15).

Can't wait to see all!

Chrystal Clear

Boolit Man
    Just rolled into winnemucca

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

The weekend is well underway.

NVCurmudgeon and I spent the morning hours rounding-up some last-minute needs downtown, and then built the "stakes" for the Team Pistol event. This is a timed event, with the quickest time to cut the stake winning the match. I envision two relays, with two teams per relay.

We then loaded my ol' Ford F150 with all the steel targets and associated rebar and posts....probably a good half-ton of iron!

This was completed just in time to head for The Griddle, where about twenty folks assembled around 1pm. The usual greetings from old friends, and the meeting of new ones, were the highlight of the luncheon.

A sizable posse headed off to Brown's Tru-value Hardware to load sixteen 8-foot tables and two dozen chairs. These are donated by Brown's for the weekend, just as they've done for the last eleven years. MUCH appreciated, too!

Some of us took a refreshment break at The Martin Hotel....nice to get off our feet for a while.

At 6pm close to forty people convened for dinner at Chihuahua's Cantina. From all accounts, the food was fine and the company (as usual) was great. The room was a perfect size for the gang, with only four or five vacant seats...if that many. There was surely no shortage of animated conversation!

Now the shooting begins. At 0800 we start range set-up, and hopefully fire the opening shot at 0900. I have a round or two of CAST-bullet .50 BMG...all I need is a brave volunteer.

Night Owl Enterprises and Pat Marlin have been VERY generous in supplying merchandise for prizes. NOE gift certificates will go to the shooters with smallest groups in Iron-Sight Rifle and in Scope-sight Rifle. The certificates are for an NOE mould of the shooter's choice, and are a very fine prize indeed.

Pat Marlin did make it here for the Shoot. He brought along FOUR gift certificates for Rock Dock equipment and gas-check tooling. I don't have the events right handy for which these awards will be presented, but they were determined by the Rools Kommittee (everyone in attendance). More detail later.

This house is filled with delicious aromas as Karen and Kim continue preparations for the dinner tomorrow evening. Suffice it to say that there will be MANY sublime dishes, followed by some of the best desserts in Creation. It's gonna be a jammed house, but a great time for everyone. My gals have been cooking and preparing for FOUR DAYS, now.

I'll likely put a variety of folks on this thread from this computer tomorrow night, so you can see their reactions to all the goings on. I believe the comments will have a positive tone.
    Last edited by BruceB; 05-21-2011 at 02:11 AM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Banned

Bruce- or anyone logging online-

I forgot to ask what time is the shoot today?

Also- where's Al and buckshot meeting for breakfast? Dinner was awesome last night! Good enchiladas...

I forgot to ask what time is the shoot today?

Also- where's Al and buckshot meeting for breakfast? Dinner was awesome last night! Good enchiladas... [/QUOTE]

Set-up time is 0800. Shoot should start around 0900.

No idea about breakfast. See y'all!

B

Boolit Man
    Sorry, but I had to take off early. Cant make it to the dinner tonight. I had a blast though, already looking forward to next year.

2011 Shoot Is Concluded....

Yep, this one's in the books now. Most of the participants are back home or getting close.

The 2011 Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot was the largest one so far, at least in terms of attendance. It was also VERY successful, in the opinions of everyone I asked.

There were thirty shooters on hand for the Saturday/Sunday events, plus a goodly number of family members and on-lookers. The photos which will be posted show the size of the crowd.

We will be thinking about maybe moving the date for the NCBS back a week or two (into June) after two consecutive years with rather shaky weather conditions. Both this year and 2010 had hail and rain as well as windy conditions. The conditions yesterday were bad enough that we canceled the Team Rifle natch and broke down the set-up. After a fairly-short but intensive rainfall, the range turned into a mud quagmire with the gluey, gelatinous stuff building up on boots and wheels to where we could hardly move.

Yes, maybe a move into June would be a good thing.

There were some notable performances. The winning group for 100-yard Rifle (scope sight) was 0.715" for five rounds, and the winning iron-sight rifle group (50 yards) was 0.669". Very impressive.

Those two groups won the Night Owl Enterprises Gift Certificates. These were provided by the Company without even a request from us: Al Nelson contacted ME and said they wanted to make this donation again (they also provided similar awards last year).

When the envelope arrived from NOE a few weeks back, I left it unopened just to keep the goodies safely together. I only opened it after the Shoot was over yesterday, and we were preparing for the closing dinner. SURPRISE!!!! Also included was a check for $250, and a note saying "Buy the guys a round on me"! So, a decent portion of what we drank last night was paid-for by Al Nelson and NOE. All hands are very grateful to Al and NOE for their sponsorship.

Pat Marlin was in attendance, and he brought no less than FOUR Gift Certificates for presentation to winning shooters. I "disremember" exactly what events received Pat's awards, but NVCurmudgeon (Bill Lose) should be chiming-in with complete results sometime soon.

As in years past, NVC has taken it upon himself to buy the materials and assemble the handsome plaques and their engraved plates. A "Golden Wheelweight" on each trophy denotes the cast-bullet theme of our Shoot. He does this from his own pocket and time, and the awards are both beautiful and much-appreciated.

About twenty folks showed-up for an informal lunch at The Griddle on Friday, and took care of some minor jobs afterward.

The Rools Kommittee dinner Friday night was well-attended, and LOUD as we caught-up with old friends and made new ones. Good grub, too. Discussions about the proceedings for the Shoot were wide-ranging and useful.

After a busy day's shooting on Saturday, everyone descended on the B household for an evening of wining-and-dining. My Karen and Kim created a SPREAD which had to be seen to be believed. I estimate about eight main dishes, plus numerous appetizers and maybe five different desserts....there was plenty left-over after the horde was done, so I reckon we had "enough".

Sunday at the range was very enjoyable, in spite of a few interludes of unsettled weather. Following the somewhat-early conclusion to the shooting, we all departed to prepare for the now-traditional closing dinner at Ormachea's Dinner House. This is a top-notch Basque-style restaurant where the food is always excellent. This year we had enough people to warrant the use of their private room downstairs, which kept us from inflicting our disturbances on other diners and also gave much more freedom of movement to visit with others. The room also has a bar, which came in handy (thanks again, NOE!).

So, with much hugging and handshaking, all of us prepared to go our separate ways. All will carry a sense of warm camaraderie with them, and we hope that 2012 will see yet another re-union with old pals, and the arrival of many new members for the NCBS clan. I was particularly pleased to see the younger contingent in this year's group, and the ladies were very well-represented as well. Truly, a "family occasion" and it brings an atmosphere that is cordial, polite, and FUN.

I refer once more to the Three Basic Rules:

1. BE SAFE The firing line gave me no safety problems of any note whatever

2. HAVE FUN the whole place was wall-to-wall smiles and laughs for the entire weekend

4. NO WHINING Even when a few glitches occurred in the proceedings, everyone involved took the most-honorable and easiest-going attitudes imaginable to solve the issues....in other words, NO WHINING.

Thanks to everyone for being here, and for the manner in which you took part in the Shoot. It was probably the very best NCBS so far. Can we do better next year?? We'll sure give it a good try!
    Last edited by BruceB; 05-25-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Vendor Sponsor
    I took my leave Sunday about 2:00 pm and it sounds like I made a good decision as I have had enough experience with Winnemucca gumbo. My thanks to the Bannister's for their exceptional hospitality. The entire weekend and the shoot was as always a class act. The improvements to the range as the years go by is a testament to Winnemucca's commitment to the shooting sport. And the dinner at the B's was superb. As I announced at the Rools commitee meeting "When you come to dinner at Karen's kitchen be sure to leave room for dessert! This year was no exception.

Thanks to all of the out of stater's for making the trek and participating. And a big thanks to Pat Marlin and Al of NOE for donating the valuable prizes. I am looking forward to NVC's post to see who won.

Till next year.

ammohead

Boolit Grand Master
    Rolled in about an hour ago--Buckshot should be home about 10:00 p.m.

Another BIG thank you to Pat Marlin and Al from NOE for the fine donations!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus

We had a great time with old and new friends. Thanks again to Bruce and Karen for all of your work, Walt for the use of his steel and Curmudgeon for the plaques. Al of NOE, Pat Marlin thanks for your sponsorship. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

Finally got back. You would not believe what happened today, but I'm just glad to be home.

Lordy- you autta see my emails. That patmarlin is a bad, bad bad man...

I had such a great time, I want to write about it, but got to get some rest now. Thanks everyone.

Boolit Master

I rolled into the driveway about 2 pm Mountain time yesterday. Sorry I missed the Sunday night dinner, but getting all the way to Salt Lake City on Sunday sure made Monday an easier drive.

Thanks to Al and Pat for the sponsorship. It's appreciated, big time!
    I'm looking forward to NVC's post to see who won what.
    I had a great time and sure enjoyed seeing everyone, new and old.
    Now, I need to get caught up on my record keeping, which has been lacking to say the least! (Brass, loads, results etc...)
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned

Chapter one-

I may as well start from the end and work backwards...

Sunday night dinner was great. Got to sit and chat with MacCobb's wife who is pretty near my mother's twin. She's a sweet heart. Yous one lucky dog there Mac. Next progressed around the room and really- I don't remember seeing so many good people in one place in a long time.

I got to sit with my buddies Dept Al, and cousin Buckshot, as well as Karen and Bruce, Quilbillie (Lynn) and other folks as we had dinner and a few drinks. NV Curmudgeon Bill commenced with a great speech and handed out awards. Very cool. Last time I can remember getting an award of any kind was 8 year old YMCA basketball.

After dinner soaking up more conversations progressed about life issues of folks afflicted with pouring cast boolits and the tight group that got away as I was watching the dinner bill pay line. I figured I would wait for it to die down a bit then I would wonder over and take care of mine.

Not to long after I faintly here Mac say off in the distance- "Someone didn't pay... Calamari" Then I said "That's Me". Evidently, part of the last line at the counter was trying to figure out who had not paid while I'm yacking away to Bruce and Bill about who knows what across the room. What a ding dong. I'm thinking maybe a few if those Bicardi and 7UP's had something to do with it...

And wouldn't you know Mac and his son, and daughter in-law paid for my dinner and wouldn't accept a dollar for it. I need to make that up to you guys somehow, and thank you very much for that. Where else do you find folks like these but at Cast Boolits? ...

So the story should end here, but it doesn't... not yet.

Everyone cleared out with many good-bye's and very nice meeting' ya's. I get back to my motel room, and think "Where's my Golden Wheel Weight award"? I'm digging around in my gear bag, and diggin' through the cab of the truck and realized I had left it in the restaurant. So I drive back in a hurry- run down stairs and sure enough, the nice lady had it at the bar...

Might have had something to do with those Bicardi and 7UP's but I'm not sure...

Banned

Chapter two-

The next morning.

I wake up and sit there watching commentary on Obama and coverage on the horrible tornado in Missouri. Get coffee and a shower, and get packed up to get out and head back home.

Standing at my pickup loading gear and realized it was kinda chilly there in my T-shirt, I'm wondering, "Where's my favorite flannel shirt?". The one mom had given me for Christmas? So there I go- back to diggin' through the cab in a panic. I'm thinking... there's my Golden Cast Boolit award... check. There's my range targets... check. Do I have my jeans on and my Gerber holstered? ...check.

Then I remember something about those Bicardi and 7UP's and the restaurant...

I jump back in the truck and haul down the road to get there thinkin' it's gonna be closed, and I'm going to lose my shirt.

As luck would have it, the door was open but no one around. I go downstairs to where we had dinner and there's a construction crew having some kind of meeting, looking at me like "Who in the heck is this guy"?, and I tell them- "no problem, proceed on, I'm just looking for my shirt." Look everywhere, but it's not down there. I go back upstairs and look around the bar, the kitchen, the tables. Still no shirt and still no employees in sight.

I see a Wal Mart bag on the bar with what looked like it had clothes in it. It's tied shut, but I figure- "That's got to be my shirt". I open it up and it's some ones change of clothes. Not mine. I'm again thinking "what a ding dong." ...

As I get back in my truck and sadly drive away, it dawned on me to check in the back. Pull over and sure enough, my shirt was there sitting in a bag from when it was raining, and I took it off and put on my coat so it wouldn't get wet at the range...

Banned

Chapter three-

The drive home.

So I'm finally on my way. Leave Winnimucca about 0900 after a good breakfast take out with JackintheBox...

Heading west about 45 minuets or so, I notice a truck ahead and some stuff drop from it. I still don't know what in the heck it was, but I'm dodging chunks of something looked like rocks but more like steel and then wham- takes out my front right tire and sends me into the shoulder. The shoulder there was a steep narrow area into a fence. No real safe place to be on the freeway.

I'm thinking great- I need to get out of there as fast as I can before I get runover by a semi truck next...

Got my spare out and replaced the wheel. Tire destroyed and just tore up everything under there. I checked the back tire, cause I hit something with that as well. It looked OK.

Headed back out on the road towards Reno and thought- great. Now I need a tire, so I decided to go through Sacramento where at least I know tire guys and I wouldn't get raped on it.

Nice day, and drive back over the Sierras. Problem was my arm and wrist started swelling up with my two middle fingers of my right hand throbbing. I realized I had slammed my arm into the armrest during the accident. Right about then my jaw started to hurt on the right side. Then I realized I had clinched my teeth while dogging the truck drop items as well.

I get to about Granite Bay near Folsom east of Sacramento on I-80 and POW!... the back tire blew out, on the same side. Great. I pull over on the freeway and no spare. This one tore the whole skirt off as well, and bent my fender in real good. Took my chrome exhaust pipe with it. Tire destroyed. Evidently, it had damage from the prior ordeal but just took it's time to fail. Thank god it didn't happen over the mountain pass.

I can't remember ever using road service cause us hillbillies just don't do that. I called my insurance company and they sent over a tow truck. I told em' to hurry up cause it was on the dang freeway and not safe. I tried to briefly tell them about what had happened earlier but I was running out of cell phone minutes. They transferred me to claims and the connection went dead so that was that.

I wait, and I wait, and I wait. Truck comes with a good operator. He gets my pickup on the bed and asks, "where do you want to go"?. You've got 5 miles. 5 miles I say? And he says yep, and $5 bucks per mile after that.

So I said head to the nearest tire shop. He has a diesel like mine and had problems with his injector pumps and I told him why and what the solution was as we drive over. Nice guy. Go into the tire store and the cheapest tire they have is $181 bucks... . We look at each other and shake our heads and go find another store. The next store wanted $150 per tire. That doesn't include mounting of course. Damn rich neighborhood.

I ask the driver if he could drive me to North Sac, the poor part of town and my tire guys would take care of me? He says sure, but of course his company would want the $5 per mile. So off we go.

My Mexican tire buddies who know I've been out of the area for some 12 years, see us pull up with my rig on a Jerdan bed tow truck- tires blown out and the side of the truck all jacked up with wheel well and fender damage not to mention black tire marks on the paint from end to end, and asked "What in the heck happened to you PAT?". I told em' I needed a beer, and then told them the story.

I trade them the 2 good tires I had for a set of decent used and a few more bucks. We caught up on old times and shook hands, and I was on my way up I-5 north to home.
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 05-24-2011 at 02:16 PM.