Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Need an explaination on Lyman M dies

Boolit Bub

Need an explaination on Lyman M dies

Loading for milsurp rifles using boolits sized .266, .310, .312, (for now) and .314 soon. Lyman M dies apparently come .26 cal, 30 cal, short & long, as well as 31 cal.....
    For those size bullets: Am I right that the 26 cal would be the correct die for the
    .266 and the 31 cal for the others? Or is the 30 cal. M the right one for the others?

What is the difference between the "short" and "long" M dies?

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    The difference between short and long M dies is the length of the cartridge they were designed for. I don't know whether Lyman produces a chart telling which dies for which cartridges (it would be helpful if they did), but you can call their tech support and they'll tell you.

And I believe you're correct on the sizer issue. Lyman doesn't make M sizer stems in individual bullet diameter sizes. They're only by category of two decimal place sizes, .22, .24, .25, 26, .27, .28, .30, .33, .35, etc.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, AZ.

Boolit Master

The 30 short will work for anything 30-06 and shorter.
    You may want the long for anything over 30-06 length.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Here's an excellent article: http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_LymanMDies.htm

I bought one long die and the plugs for varioius cartridges, and change the plug as needed.

A lock washer of the appropriate size prevents the plug from backing out, and allows the long die to work for .30-30 WCF.

Boolit Buddy
    M1 and M2 die bodies are short(ie 7.62x39) and long(ie 30-06). Actual size of first step is for friction fit to bullet(minus .002?); .25 expander for rifle is for .257 bullets. 26 is for .266? bullets, 30 for .308, 31 for .311. A 25 pistol is .251(.25acp), 32 pistol expander might be .309?(32 acp) up to .314(32 s&w long). If you don't have size needed, chuck the next larger size into drill chuck and file, polish with emery to size(for instance .32 win spl(.321) down to .319. good luck