Voters
488. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single-Action

121 24.80%
  • Double-Action

183 37.50%
  • Just can’t decide. Love both.

180 36.89%
  • Don’t like revolvers. Prefer my automatics.

4 0.82%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Revolver Poll

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickSS View Post
    As I just can't see how a real cowboy would shoot pipsqueak loads
    I like Dick Darstardly's (Dick Rhody who markets Big Lube Bullets, etc) 'Big Lube Rule of Thumb.' This involves putting enough BP into the case so that you can push the bullet down on the powder using thumb pressure until it stops with the mouth of the case and the crimping groove lined up! How good is that?
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 07-04-2010 at 03:25 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

DA's, although I only shoot them SA. I sold my Freedom Arms and Black Hawk and have gone back to Smiths and Colts. The SA's were too heavy and a pain to load and eject. Neither one was as smooth as an Officer's Model Match or Python. Although I will admit that they are not nearly as strong as the FA and Black Hawk. But I only shoot paper with them.

Jeff

Boolit Grand Master
    I have both and must confess to liking the s/a way better feels more solid although it probably isn't

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I have both and must confess to liking the s/a way better feels more solid although it probably isn't
    Yep, the single actions give the impression of being so monolithic, but it is probably all in our heads...

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Which type of revolvers are your favorites? Feel free to post why.

Love them both the same, and love their ways of being different.

Happy to carry either one, happy to Plink with either one.

If I was facing a bad situation with enough multiple BGs and gunplay, I might appreciate the ease of re-loading with a Hand Ejector Model I suppose, if I lasted long enough to luxuriate in the advantages of that feature/amenity.

But then too, I might appreciate had I elected to have a nice Colt M1911 with me, and a few extra Charged Magazines, for that matter.

Otherwise, mox nix to me.

Both, or all three, have their advantages, charms, allure, and logistical merits, respectively.

Perma-Banned

I like all kinds, but I am somewhat partial to 7-1/2" Rugers. I have a Super Blackhawk in .44, and a Blackhawk convertible, .45 colt and .45 acp. SA, and they are tack drivers.

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Since I seldom use the 'double' action function when I do have the choice I prefer single action. They're a lot more accurate, for me anyway.

Larry

Boolit Master

I stated early on my preference for single actions. Another reason just occurred to me is that I find them much easier to clean. Just pull the cylinder pin, remove and go to town. Easy access to the barrel and cylinder window.

The two double actions I own, Rugers, a Redhawk and Service Six, while the cylinders do come out, it's a PITA to remove them. A lot of the difficulty on my part may have to do with my being left handed...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

I take the both of them .It depends on what I will use it for at the time.For trapping I like the SA and for hunting the DA. The SA for trapping is because I do not have to load the whole gun to shot one shot.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

This is weird, this thread comes up every day on my subscribed list whether there has been a new post or not.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Like them all. I'll shoot anything from .177 air rifle to 155mm howitzers! Life is too short to limit myself.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    I just opened the revolver poll and clicked on "Single Action", just before it went I saw the checked box had switched to "double Action". NO, I wasn't seeing things, it happened, what gives?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    This is weird, this thread comes up every day on my subscribed list whether there has been a new post or not.
    Mick,
    When someone votes on the poll, even if they don't post a msg in the thread, the thread shows like there's new posts...
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    #5 - You will never shoot a big cal pistol like a 44 Mag D/A
    Ha ha ha.. Yes you can and yes I have. And not one, but TWO Model 29 double action from the hip rapid fire at the same time with full power Federal 180 gr HP factory loads.

Holy wrist rippin' batman!

Never say never. There's always some idiot who's done it. More than once.

I did own a Super Blackhawk at one time. Liked it. Thought it was a big honkin' revolver and very suitable for .44 Magnum. But really my true love are N frame Smiths.

Dutch -----> Ed McGivern & Elmer Keith = my heros

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by excavman View Post
    Since I seldom use the 'double' action function when I do have the choice I prefer single action. They're a lot more accurate, for me anyway.

Larry
    Me, too, in the beginning.. But then I got McGivern's book and started practicing doing the "can dance".. walking the tin can with a double action .38 close range from the hip. It's a good thing I have a Dillon press. It took a lot of practice and adjust the brain and hand in the right incline to bounce cans at 10 feet and 20 feet and 30 feet consistently. It impresses the **** out of witnesses. The S&W Model 66 4" barrel was the primary culprit back then.

If you carry a d/a revolver CCW you better practice d/a shooting up close and from the hip. My Brazilian Navy 1937 2nd Model H.E. .45 AutoRim is one ****** revolver for this.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Me, too, in the beginning.. But then I got McGivern's book and started practicing doing the "can dance".. walking the tin can with a double action .38 close range from the hip. It's a good thing I have a Dillon press. It took a lot of practice and adjust the brain and hand in the right incline to bounce cans at 10 feet and 20 feet and 30 feet consistently. It impresses the **** out of witnesses. The S&W Model 66 4" barrel was the primary culprit back then.

If you carry a d/a revolver CCW you better practice d/a shooting up close and from the hip. My Brazilian Navy 1937 2nd Model H.E. .45 AutoRim is one ****** revolver for this.

Dutch
    I'm retired now, but when I was working and carrying a Model 10 when necessary, I never used single action on a double action revolver. I didn't want to get into any bad habits. I use single action for my bullseye gun, but in a two handed grip I only ever used DA. I didn't want to be on single action when the balooon went up and shoot someone with a too light SA trigger pull while I was shaking like a dog pooping peach pits. The Smiths are the only DA revolver I have used and they were easy to get into a smooth reliable DA rythm.

Most of my shooting nowadays is my 44/40 Colt Clones.

Favor DA Revolvers

I shoot SAA's more often in CAS than I shoot DA revolvers. However, I have a S&W M625 in .45ACP/AR, a Colt Anaconda in .45 Colt and a Colt New Service M1909 in .45 Colt.

The S&W is my favorite as it will handle any bullet from 185 gr to 260 gr in either the ACP or AR case.

The Colt Anaconda is my Heavy Load gun. 230 to 275 with a stiff charge of AA #9 or Aliant's 2400 with either cast or jacketed.

The 1909 New Service is my Historical piece for use with cast or plated bullets in the 230 - 250 grain range and a standard SAA loading so as not to stress this 100 year old gun any more than I have to.

Boolit Mold
    While I like the romance and nostalgia of single action, the speed and ease of reloading double actions can't be beat. I find that cocking the hammer a slow process too, so I hardly ever shoot my DA revolvers in SA.

I sold my only SA, a NMBH 357 early this year to make way room for another DA.
    Last edited by easyrider604; 08-12-2010 at 01:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    My Smith 657 6in is a great gun.Great trigger aways accurate. Bit heavy to carry at 58 oz. Also love Ruger single action Love my SS 22rf /22mag.On the carry side my Ruger SP101 in 32 mag is sweet with 3 1/4 barrel. Down dirty self defence is my Sig 250c in 45 ACP