Titan ReloadingMCD ProductsLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what did you do this weekend?

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range

Quote Originally Posted by pjh421 View Post
    I'm with Frank46.

The 4th of July weekend I spent 3 days wrenching on the Blazer to no avail. Luckily Mom & Dad loaned me their car for a couple weeks until I get another.

Last week was a short 4 day work week and I kept telling myself "this weekend has GOT to be better than last.". Nope. Friday about an hour before quitting time my wife called me from her job to inform me that the house was on fire. One of the kids was heating some cooking oil to make tater tots and had the burner set too high. The 3 of them got out with no permanent injury so it could have been a lot worse. The Red Cross rep came by and put us up in a hotel until the adjuster turns on the loss of use money from our homeowners policy. I get to deal with her in about 20 minutes.

I'm not making any predictions about next weekend. Still in the game.

Paul
    My thoughts and prayers will be with you. If there's anyway I can be of help?....

Boolit Buddy
    Well thanks for the kind words! We're doing great so far. The adjuster was pretty nice. She asked me some very pointed questions about debt, income level, culpability and my version of what happened and recorded the conversation. No big deal since we"re all above board here (but somebody screwed it up for the honest folks in the past obviously)

So the insurance company is putting us in a nicer setting with a kitchenette tomorrow. That's great because my wife is such a good cook and we are all getting tired of restaurants (sounds funny but its true).

We spoke with the restoration company reps right after speaking with the adjuster and the cleanup will begin tomorrow. The process is supposed to take around 6 weeks.

Fortunately all the guns made it unscathed and all the reloading/casting/swaging stuff is in the detached garage.

When I saw this thread I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. You can't make this stuff up. We turned off the faucet on retirement saving and should be able to pay off an '07 or '08 F-150 in.a couple of years. No way am I dipping into that pot of money for a truck. That would be one expensive ride!

We may already have a buyer for the Blazer but its going to be "as is" because that truck has honked me off for the last time.

Thanks again for the kind words and thoughts.

Paul

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Sorry to hear about your son, Stew. One of the doctors at Oak Knoll once told me regarding wrist surgery to correct a ganglion cyst on my wrist from too many push ups. "Yeah, we can make some scar tissue.". I think you did the right thing. Your son can always have the surgery if it becomes necessary but he can't un-have it.

Paul
    Thanks, phj.

He'll be OK in a month or so after the inflammation from the herniated disk goes away and he gets some therapy.

Sorry to hear about your fire. I had this thread pulled up, then got busy with something else for a couple hours. I didn't "refresh" before I wrote my post and was surprised to see yours after I posted. Too bad it's going to take so long to get back in shape. Be sure to secure your valuables before you leave for any extended time.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    Paul, sorry to hear about the house. I hope everything turns out ok.
    Stew, hope your son makes a good recovery.

Thunderstorms here in louisiana usually aren't a big thing. But this one was a real frog strangler. This is the third time the circuit board got fried. Got lucky as the a/c guy had one in stock. Usually have to wait till they get a new one. So told him get two and will have it on hand for next time. I once saw three bolts come down in the same spot. No way was I gonna go and check it out. Too much stuff flying around.
    Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I'm retired, so I don't remember what I did Saturday. Sunday I rode my 1982 Honda 450 on one of my circle routes. One is 78 miles, another is 93 miles and the other one is 103 miles. These are all in the wilds of central Florida not too far from Disney. I take pictures of interesting things. I took 20 pictures total Sunday. I kept 3. The first one was a Florida pygmy rattler from about 2 feet away. The second was two turkey hens with a flock of young ones about 1/3 grown. The last picture was of a 8 foot alligator from about 20 feet away. My old honda is real quiet and if I don't turn off the motor the critters usually don't spook. The reason I only ride on Sunday is because the local hoodlums are either hung over or in jail this early.

Boolit Master

Paul, I sincerely hope things take a turn for the better for you and your family.

I shot an NRA Smallbore prone Regional 3200 last weekend near Wilkes-Barre PA. Shot well enough and had a ball with all my buddies. Dropped 9 points out of 1600 on iron sight day and on scope day made it clean all the way to the last 100 yard paper where I had two leakers. Oh well, on to the next match.

Pics just in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smallbore-024.jpg  
    Last edited by Hip's Ax; 07-22-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Add picture

Boolit Buddy
    Paul and Stew i hope the next weekend is better for you and yours!
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Master
    I had to work both days, but Saturday evening the future wife and I went and saw Despicable Me......I love those stupid animated movies.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

pjh, let me know if there is a way i can help.

Boolit Buddy
    82nd ABN it would lift my spirits immensely if you would knock out 25 good ones for the board.

Paul

Boolit Master

Let's see today is Tuesday....last Saturday? I had gotten up early as the day before I had done some chores around this tin trailer and I gone to bed really early...like 2100 hrs or so. Early Saturday AM at 0530 I took Sgt. Rambo out for a patrol around the park and we found a encampment of homeless in a vacant trailer. I got ahold of the park maintenance guy and he called the cops.

They took 45 minutes to amble over here and they dispossessed the squatters after checking ID's and such and kept two on warrants. We finished our extended patrol and watered the roses and my single green pepper plant.

The roses look like **** in this furnace we live in. Took out the garbage and gave the Sgt. some breakfast. Took the Triumph to McDonalds and had a cheap breakfast and thence to Wally World for some food shopping. Got back about 9ish and put everything away. By this time it was about 90 something degrees and the dog wanted no part of another walk and retired to his/my bed.

I spend two hours in or around the pool and kept cool by dunking every 15 minutes or so until the kids arrived at noon and then I left it to them.

After such a productive morning I retired to my recliner with adult beverage in hand and watched some golf on the boob tube. At 3PM when the golf was over I had no desire to go outside as it was now 105 degrees and blowing out like a hot air dryer.

We made a executive decision and I pushed the Sgt. aside and reclined in bed and took a well deserved nap of 3 hours.

We took in the news on the boob tube and slipped a DVD into the computer and watched old shows from NYPD Blue for a bit. The evening slipped away and at 1030 we emerged from our tin trailer and performed another patrol with negative results.

Back at the trailer the TV beckoned and I watched a variety of interesting stuff on a multitude of channels. Gotta love that remote control. Back to the rack at about 0200 and up again at 0830 to face Sunday.

Did the coffee thing and check the forum for good stuff and killed an hour. Cleaned up a mite and after a short patrol with the Sgt. went to church and did my thing. Got back and packed up my goodies and went to ex's house for a visit.

We took the F-150 for it's weekly big drive up the hill to Sun City and for once the Sgt. stayed out of my lap for the trip....it was just too hot for body contact even for him and he is a mexican hot dog doggie.

We arrived and after the mandatory 3 dog circus with a cat thrown in we got them all quieted down and sat down to enjoy the last of the John Deere golf thing on TV.

Stricker won decisively as Paul Goydos did another one of his patented wet ball things on the 18th hole to put him solidly in second place.

I am looking forward to Thursday when the British Open begins. It promises to be 109 until Friday when it will hit 113, Sat 112 and Sunday 112, Monday 111 etc for the next month.

I have no plans other than to watch TV golf and work on my VZ 24 and change out the trigger etc. However I first need to make a chamber cast with cerrosafe as my reloaded 8 MM rounds will not chamber at all. I wonder what is going on there? Mayhap there is something amiss in the chamber. Debris? Residual Brass? Once I figure that out I will spend the time and money to retrigger this old warhorse but not before I find out what is wrong and I get it fixed.

It will be just too hot to venture out of doors for a forseeable future other than required trips to replenish my larder. This of course will be done in the early am hours when it is in the high 80's before the sun comes up.

After the golf was over we retired to the kitchen to make some killer tacos and drink some decent beer. Once clean up was done we again retired to the TV room to enjoy Avatar. Great movie but really strange. Once the movie was over it was some more old NYPD Blue DVD's and we left to home at 2330 and it was still almost 100 degrees at that time.

Life retired is such a busy time.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

82nd ABN it would lift my spirits immensely if you would knock out 25 good ones for the board.

Paul
    lol, consider it done, i was secretly hopeing you wouldnt aske me to buy you a new house, and then i would then have to confess i have no money...

Boolit Buddy
    82nd Airborne...might I remind you that a Paratrooper need not have money as civilians buy you beer, fish fear you and women want you.

Dan, that's cool that you get along with your ex. I avoid mine.

Rest of you guys thanks again for the kind words.

Paul

Boolit Master
    I got up early, 0730, and reloaded some 223 and 45 Colt. I had planned a nice Saturday afternoon at the range, but the weather did not cooperate. Salvaged the afternoon by babysitting my 5 month old grandson. He's my future hunting/shooting buddy, and it's great to spend time with the little fella. Sunday, got up went to church came home and broke out the Lee lead dripper and my new Skiesunlimited #1 buckshot mold. Ran about 4 lbs of buckshot and tossed them in the tumbler, then washed my clothes and packed suitcase for this weeks adventures. I am now having withdrawal symptoms because I haven't been to the range since the 1st week of May. I am a shootaholic.

G

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Heading out for the next weekend's adventure tomorrow. Camping, fishing, shooting, drinking, eating, BS'ing. Sounds like Ruger1965 will be joining us, and if mysterious Member #12,000 reads this, we will be at Merical's, come on up.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Took my Puma out to the range to try and zero in a peep sight I had put on, seven shots til the firing pin broke, got to love Brazil, this is the third one to go.................steg

Boolit Master

Paul
    Good one.

Your adjuster is just covering bases. When the economy is bad, some people see arson as a good deal. Your situation is obviously accidental and believe it or not, it's one of the most common causes of fire.

On to my weekend. I really can't remember what I did, so it must have been really exciting whatever it was. This weekend I'm going to Bethesda to see a close friend's wounded son.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Buddy

Hope everyone's weekend is going as well as mine is, I had a helper this after noon when i was cleaning up my bench, in the process i found a label maker so we labeled things.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

stephen perry

The Weekend

I finished sighting in 6 rifles. I always start at 25 yd and get them where I want them before I move to 100/200. A few will be sighted for 300-600 later. My 6x47 Rem shot a 3 shot group measuring .170 expected that, with Winchester 80 grn lead points. Going out tommorrow and sight some more in. Supposed to be 104 so what a shootin day is a shootin day. Put 2 cans of 134 in my GMC truck, life can't get any better than a good air conditioner. Probably going to sight in my .222 and my 6x45 TCU rifle, 60 deg shoulder. The reason I'm doing all this sighting in is because each gun has a new scope on it now. I have Leupold, Lyman, Weaver, Unertl, and Burris scopes to sight in. I have too many scopes, 8 spares. Have a Ruger .308 V coming in September that gets my Leupold 12 to start maybe my Leupold 6.5x20 later, this will be my designated .30 cal Cast gun.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR