WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Lee Classic cast turret press?

Boolit Grand Master
    What do your instructions that came with the press say about timing the press ? ?

I have a Lee Pro - 1000 , I've seen it out of time and behave identical to what you've described.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

cabezaverde;
    Try this. Loosen the lock ring of the sizing die. Run a case up into it. While the case is still in the die and the handle down, THEN tighten the lock ring. After this, do it for all of the other dies when you load (the case will center the die, when seating the bullet IT will center the die, and when you crimp, the case will again center the die.

Now, all dies should be centered and hopefully this is all that the problem was.

I have my fingers crossed.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    What do your instructions that came with the press say about timing the press ? ?

I have a Lee Pro - 1000 , I've seen it out of time and behave identical to what you've described.

Ben
    Thanks, It does this even when it is not auto indexing. I am going to give Dale53's idea a try.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I agree with Dale53 above on his post. Were it my press, I would do two things.

1. Set up the timing without dies as described in my previous post.

2. Set up the dies per Dale53's post above.

If you still have problems, something isn't right. Try another 4-hole turret, repeat steps 1 and 2. If this doesn't resolve the problem, it may require a call to Lee.

There's nothing to say, with the high demand this year combined with 2% manufacturing defects across all industry that you didn't get a defective press turret head (The part the turret rotates in.). Not probable, but possible if machining tolerances run together the wrong way.

Regards,

Dave

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    Gadzooks Mike, I solved mine this way see pic.
    Beautiful! That really does look great! I did finally (duh) figure out that if I put in one of the little primer widgets, it forced the spent primers down into the base where they belong. Before that, I was using a chopped up piece of plastic straw. You can tell I'm the lazy one here!

Boolit Mold
    I use my classic turret press for 9mm, 44 magnum, .308, .223, and 22-250. I had 3 separate turret 4-hole discs and am finally buying a few more so I have each one set up and ready to go. I even have multiple disk powder measures so I can really minimize the set up time.

Right now I only shoot a few rounds each month so I don't load a whole lot at once. Most of what I do is find a good-enough load for a bullet and then move to the next bullet for that particular gun. One day I hope to fine tune each load and then crank out a lot of ammo using a progressive like a Dillon. Until then the Lee is the best press for me. Even after that the Lee classic turret will be the best press for any small ammo runs.

Boolit Grand Master

>>>Until then the Lee is the best press for me. Even after that the Lee classic turret will be the best press for any small ammo runs. <<<

+1

Dale53

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    I agree with Dale53 above on his post. Were it my press, I would do two things.

1. Set up the timing without dies as described in my previous post.

2. Set up the dies per Dale53's post above.

If you still have problems, something isn't right. Try another 4-hole turret, repeat steps 1 and 2. If this doesn't resolve the problem, it may require a call to Lee.

There's nothing to say, with the high demand this year combined with 2% manufacturing defects across all industry that you didn't get a defective press turret head (The part the turret rotates in.). Not probable, but possible if machining tolerances run together the wrong way.

Regards,

Dave
    Where did you get the "2% manufacturing defects across all industry" from? This info can be misleading without the details.

bc

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BillP View Post
    Where did you get the "2% manufacturing defects across all industry" from? This info can be misleading without the details.

bc
    2% defect rate is now considered "acceptable" to most large manufacturers.
    Nature of the beast.

I work retail and see it every day of the week.

This thread has a lot of good information in it for proper adjustment of your Lee Classic Turret.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=487742
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Storydude View Post
    2% defect rate is now considered "acceptable" to most large manufacturers.
    Nature of the beast.

I work retail and see it every day of the week.
    Just asking...what is the source?