Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30/06 16.0 grs. 2400

Boolit Grand Master

30/06 16.0 grs. 2400

My friend Jason went with me to the range this morning. I wanted him to shoot my Winchester, 1917 , 30/06 Springfield, Sporter. It has a XX Air Gauged Douglas barrel. It has always been a cast boolit shooter's dream rifle.

The rifle has a Burris 12 X fixed power scope with an A/O and fine cross-hairs with a 1 lb. Timmney trigger.

The gas checks were made with Pat Marlin's CheckMaker tool using .014 " thickness Ameri-Max Aluminum for the gas check material.

This rifle is a joy to shoot cast boolits out of.

My friend Jason REALLY likes it !

Here is a pic of Jason about to squeeze off a few rounds with my Winchester :

Last edited by Ben; 06-21-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Boolit Master

nice shooting !!!
    but tell me...are you dragging that rifle through the mud and snow and slush during elk hunting season????

Fine shooting.That rifle is a keeper!I guess that answers all questions about wolf primers.Good shooting and good rifle,I'm happy for you!

Boolit Grand Master
    atr :

Sorry...........We don't have any Elk here, but the rifle makes plenty of trips with me after white-tailed deer.
    Last edited by Ben; 06-21-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    More STUNNING photography, Ben. And some gilt-edge accuracy by Jason, I might add.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

That's a damn fine shooting iron right there...
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    The one round ( of the 10 round group ) that is " high - left " is definitely the shooter. I've seen that rifle with that particular load shoot into a ragged hole on many occasions.

For whatever the reasons, I don't hear a lot said about the 311290 from other members here on the forum. You hear much said about the 311284 but the 311290 doesn't seem to have the " fame & fortune " of the 311284. This particular bullet design has always shot real well for me however ?

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 06-23-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Maybe a better lube would tighten those groups up for ya
    good shootin.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master
    Any idea where I could pick up a 311290? or a 311281? I don't like the RCBS 30-150-SP GC that I use now in my .30-06.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    For whatever the reasons, I don't hear a lot said about the 311290 from other members here on the forum. You hear much said about the 311284 but the 311290 doesn't seem to have the " fame & fortune " of the 311284. This particular bullet design has always shot real well for me however ?

Ben
    funny how that is. My 311290 casts an honest .302" nose and shoots well in every .30 I've tried it in. It's now my favorite .30 boolit. The only rifle cartridge combo it's given me trouble with is my savage 99F in .308. The throat is a bit short for a 210 grain boolit. I've pretty much settled on my 311291 HP for that rifle.

This boolit traveled through roughly 20" of deer before coming to rest in the offside leg. It broke a shoulder blade and 3 ribs total. I don't remember the load off hand (pretty sure it was 4198 + felix lube though) but I do remember the ACWW 311290 was running 2000 at the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master
    fatnhappy :

That's a good testimony for the 290'.

I'm with you, I think it is a good shooting bullet !

Thanks,

Ben

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I have another 311290 pic. The unusual aspect of the 311290 is that it was one of the "original" gas check designs from lyman in 1905. All the others (311284, 311291 and 311299) are wildly popular but the 311290 fell out of production. Why I'll never understand.

Last edited by fatnhappy; 06-23-2010 at 08:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    Ben, that's a fine shooten iron for shore! Tell me, when you take it strolling through the woods seeking deer, do you use the same load or do you modify the load or bullet or both?

JDL

Boolit Grand Master
    JDL :

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot this load at a reasonable distance.......( 100 yards or less ). The bullets lubed and gas checked weigh 222 grs. each.

One of those in the " boiler room " of a white-tail would be death.

Ben

Boolit Master
    The Lee 185 gr. .312 bullet that I use in my '06 resembles that bullet a lot. I've had good success with the same load in my Savage 110. The nose on my Lee measures .301. I also like the RCBS 165 gr. SIL bullet whose nose measures .302. I size both bullets .311 and routinely get 1.10" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. Not anything as good as Ben's groups though but I keep trying.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ironically, I'd read about 16.0 grs. of 2400 in the 30/06 for most of my 45 yr. long reloading career.

For whatever reason, I never tried it. When I did finally use that load and fired a few rounds, I was pleasantly surprised at the group size that was possible with that load.

It is a tried and true " stand by load " for me now ! !

Ben

Boolit Bub
    with that same load of 2400 with a cast 165gr bullet ,my 1917 stock eddystone loves it also.open sights 100yds 2ins. or less.
    Ben, good shooting an a dam nice rifle
    jim

Boolit Grand Master
    jimr

That load , in the 06' ( 16.0 grs. of 2400 ) has been around for a very long time, I was just slow in picking up on the concept.

I've very glad that I tried it.

My rifle loves it !

Ben

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    You fellows shooting such boolits may have to get a bigger washtub with shooting like that ! BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master

Morning Test

I did a little load testing this morning with 2400. The three groups were shot with my Savage 110 with an old Denver 2X7 Redfield. I bought this rifle to use as a cast boolit hunting rifle and killed 3 buck using the 311041 over 32 gr. of H4895. I've decided to switch it to an informal target/general use rifle. The Lee 185 has been it's favored bullet using Lars 2500 lube and sized to .311. I've shot several groups of about 1.10" with it but the planets must have aligned today so I thought I'd try to post a picture of the target. Noticed how the 17 gr. load opened up the group. The top left group was shot first then the top right with the bottom left last. BTW these groups were at 100 yds. The 165 SIL bullet has showed promise in the past but did fare so well today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 185312.jpg  
    Last edited by txbirdman; 07-03-2010 at 03:11 PM.