RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a great easy chili recipe.

I haven't had cornbread in chili for years. Sounding pretty good though I see a pot of chili in the near future.
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

J LAZY S J RANCH CHILI RECIPE (AWARD WINNING)

1 lb - course ground chili meat (beef)
    1 lb - course ground chili meat (venison)
    1 lb - hamburger meat
    1 lb - Blue and Gold Sausage
    1 - jar of stewed tomatoes
    1 - large can of tomato juice or V-8 juice
    1 - package of Williams Original chili seasoning (for 4lbs of meat)
    salt, pepper, chili powder, pinch of cumin (NO garlic powder or garlic)

brown meat
    mix all ingredients and simmer until ready to eat.

You need to add only enough tomato juice or V-8 juice as desired.

You may drain the grease after browning the meat. I don’t

The Dove

PS - No beans, bell peppers or any other fluff in your chilli!!!!! Chilli is meat and liquid with the right amount of heat and flavor..... JMO

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dove View Post
    J LAZY S J RANCH CHILI RECIPE (AWARD WINNING)

1 lb - course ground chili meat (beef)
    1 lb - course ground chili meat (venison)
    1 lb - hamburger meat
    1 lb - Blue and Gold Sausage
    1 - jar of stewed tomatoes
    1 - large can of tomato juice or V-8 juice
    1 - package of Williams Original chili seasoning (for 4lbs of meat)
    salt, pepper, chili powder, pinch of cumin (NO garlic powder or garlic)

brown meat
    mix all ingredients and simmer until ready to eat.

You need to add only enough tomato juice or V-8 juice as desired.

You may drain the grease after browning the meat. I don’t

The Dove

PS - No beans, bell peppers or any other fluff in your chilli!!!!! Chilli is meat and liquid with the right amount of heat and flavor..... JMO
    You gota be kidding, without beans, green peppers, whole crushed tomatoes and no "GARLIC, Hell man, thats Texas soup, not chili, LOL!

Boolit Master
    look at my recipe on castpics...

Gotta dis-agree Change!!! Chilli has no place for the flufffffffff HAHA

The Dove

Boolit Master

Meat, onions, garlic, peppers, spices.

If you want vegetables, just go ahead and make vegetable soup.

My chili recipe.

People who know beans about chili know that chili has no beans...

Dale in Louisiana
    (who thinks that Texas knows about chili)

Boolit Master
    I bookmarked that, Dale. Beans on the side is maybe a good solution to a family problem.... I have always used tomatos because my dad did, but maybe I'll make a batch without them to try.....
    Paul

Boolit Master

Paul--

You won't miss the tomatoes.

Dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    Meat, onions, garlic, peppers, spices.

If you want vegetables, just go ahead and make vegetable soup.

My chili recipe.

People who know beans about chili know that chili has no beans...

Dale in Louisiana
    (who thinks that Texas knows about chili)
    Now Dale I will be the first to admit that you are not a "Hobo" when it comes to cooking, you've proved that to me!
    But chili without beans (kidney or chili)/celery/ onions/peppers and more peppers/definitely whole "squished" tomatoes with the seeds would just be a Chili Slurpie, do you get those things at a 7-11/Highs/whatever in a cone?

Take care, Changeling

Boolit Master

Ah, discussions about the composition of chili...

I remember somebody used to have a "gumbo" recipe that included ketchup. It ain't what **I** called gumbo, but he did, and he had a following of people who believed him. The folks in Cincinnati have something **THEY** call "chili" and to my mind it's more like a low-octane spaghetti sauce, but they have a following...

I'm just contending that original chili was things an old chuck-wagon cook would have on hand. Onions? Yep? Dried peppers? Yep! Raw meat? Yep! Garlic? Yep! Fresh tomatoes? Not hardly...

And cooked right, mine will stand up a spoon. Never tried it in a slurpie cup or a cone, though.

Dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master
    Browned ground chuck, drained. 1 can pinto beans. 1 can chopped tomato. Small can of tomato sauce. 1 pkg of McCormick's mild chili mix, and a jar of medium or hot salsa.
    ( everything is in the salsa already). Add water to desired thickness. Simmer.
    Or substitute ground Squirrel for chuck. (not 'ground squirrels', but ground UP squirrel meat
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

If available, I use 80% ground venison and 20% ground fatty pork. I make a double portion, but use only one can of beans and one can of corn. Rest of the items are all the standards.

In the bowl, dress it with shredded chedder cheese and a nice coating of Tabasco.

Sometimes I even eat over rice

It's a good thing when you cook yourself, you can make your food the way YOU like it...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LewR View Post
    If available, I use 80% ground venison and 20% ground fatty pork. I make a double portion, but use only one can of beans and one can of corn. Rest of the items are all the standards.

In the bowl, dress it with shredded chedder cheese and a nice coating of Tabasco.

Sometimes I even eat over rice

It's a good thing when you cook yourself, you can make your food the way YOU like it...LOL
    Over rice is very interesting!!
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

I like to make my own chili sauce instead of using chili powder. I go to the store and buy dried poblanos or anchos and whatever other medium heat chilies they have. I take out the seeds and stems and put them in a bowl and just cover with boiling water. After they soften up, I puree them in a food processor. Great stuff you can freeze or can, and keep on hand. I usually add some of my smoked, dried jalapenos, too.

Boolit Master
    The thing that amazes me is how much different a chili recipe can be when you change it just a little of something or how you cook it, Example:

I have one recipe that calls for 2 cans of tomatoes. I just got hungry for chili and started making it, then I found I only had one can of tomatoes, thought, that will not affect it much! Like HELL, it was like a totally different recipe! So when you find one you really like, don't try to interpolate ingredients are anything else, thats where I really messed up!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    Ah, discussions about the composition of chili...

I remember somebody used to have a "gumbo" recipe that included ketchup. It ain't what **I** called gumbo, but he did, and he had a following of people who believed him. The folks in Cincinnati have something **THEY** call "chili" and to my mind it's more like a low-octane spaghetti sauce, but they have a following...

I'm just contending that original chili was things an old chuck-wagon cook would have on hand. Onions? Yep? Dried peppers? Yep! Raw meat? Yep! Garlic? Yep! Fresh tomatoes? Not hardly...

And cooked right, mine will stand up a spoon. Never tried it in a slurpie cup or a cone, though.

Dale in Louisiana
    Well Dale I can't argue with what an old chuck wagon would have on hand, you're probably exactly right. However my chuck wagon is a Tacoma 4x4, and I can get those tomatoes on the quick, usually, hopefully, all right, not always in a pinch, LOL!

But I do like my chili as I said, but finding the right combination is unbelievable!, I just haven't found it yet.
    There was a small restaurant located on canal rd. going into Washington DC that served chili to die for!! They sold out to a "Yuppie" bunch that was going to take it to the MOON they thought. The chili recipe was actually in the purchasing contract. They started off great, then the owner decided he could cut back on the way it was made, he did and business went right down hill! They are still there, with mediocre business and that AH never brought back the original chili recipe, because he knew what he was doing, LOL!! So I guess it has gone the way of the Do-D0 Bird!

Boolit Master

For a not bad chili try a box or bag of Carrol Shelby's chili mix.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Mold
    Here's my favorite:

SKEETER’S CHILI RECIPE*

5 pounds chunked venison or antelope (elk or moose serves even better)
    ¼ pound chopped or ground beef suet
    3 29-ounce cans tomato sauce
    3 crushed garlic cloves or equivalent garlic powder
    6 Tbsp hot, red ground chili powder (more to taste)
    6 (or 8) small whole red jalapeno chili peppers
    ½ cup brown sugar
    4 large sliced onions
    2 tsp oregano
    1 tsp cumin powder
    Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients in a large pot. Add water (or beer) to cover ingredients. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer. As water cooks down, replenish it. This takes a long time to cook, so continue to simmer until the meat begins to break up and the other ingredients thicken to a gravy, which will take at least several (three to four, minimum) hours.

This recipe tends to be even better reheated and freezes well.

If you want to make your own beans, the recipe is:

1 pound pinto beans
    2 quarts water
    Salt to taste
    1 large chopped onion or equivalent dried onion
    ½ cup lard (or more)

Soak beans overnight for faster cooking. Add more water to cover; salt and cook beans with onions slowly until tender. Mash with potato masher or mix in blender until a paste is formed. Add hot lard or bacon drippings, then cook until all fat is absorbed by the beans. Stir frequently to avoid sticking and scorching. Serves 6 to 8.

*Note: This came out of one of Skeeter Skelton’s columns in an old Shooting Times Magazine.

Boolit Master
    Dale's post earlier points to the fact that real chili has no tomatoes or beans and I do have to agree. Now understand that I most often cook and eat chili with tomatoes and it's good. But it's not real chili. I had the pleasure of having an employee years ago who was a full blooded Mexican. She was in the process of getting her naturalization at the time and was a very hard worker.......and also a great cook. She often brought me "real" tamales and "real" chili. No tomatoes or beans in any of it and she scorned the notion. According to her, chili has only peppers to get that red color. The tomato thing is a purely American thing. But, hey, I like it all.

And it's kinda like some of the recipes I've seen for Jambalaya. I live in the "Jambalaya Capitol of the World" and some of the recipes I have seen are not even close to the real thing.

In the long run, we have a saying down here...."Let the good times roll". So whatever floats your boat. Go for it. Tastes vary.

I don't care if your chili has beans or not. Mine does. It is a lot like deerslayers but is dependent on what beans are on hand (on sale) or if I have store bought chili powder or ......... I prefer to use V8 juice as it has many different veggy flavors and we have the largest Campbell Soup plant right in our county. I also add a bit of sugar, preferably brown but white will do.

Bometimes there is enough for a few days eating with some left over. I add boiled macaroni and call it chili mac.

I have too little time left to be worrying if ones chili is the real deal or not.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine