Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Looking for load suggestions 358-140-SWC

Boolit Buddy

Looking for load suggestions 358-140-SWC

Picked up a used Lee 358-140-SWC that casts really well at a gun show.

Have been loading them over Accurate No. 5. Started out at 9 grains. Got a smidge of leading and backed off to 8.3 and got none.

I like everything about that load except for how little the powder fills up that .357 case.

I'm loading on a Lee turret and I like to set my loads up so I can glance in the case as I go to set the boolit on top and see powder to make sure I'm not about to load a squib. I also like it so a double charge won't fit.

With this small charge in the magnum case I can't see the powder and a double would also fit.

I've poured over loading manuals and can't find anything that'll give me a near case full (12-13 grains I'm thinking) while keeping me under 1200 fps other than really slow stuff that'll make a big fireball out of my two snubby (2.25 and 2.5 inch) .357s.

Any suggestions out there?

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    You could give Unique a try. It wont fill the case to the top BUT you sure will not have any room to get a double charge.
    6 - 6.5 grains of Unique is going to be about that velocity in a shorty and will be well consumed quickly enough.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    So Unique is bulkier than Accurate No. 5?

Boolit Bub
    ScottJ, are you using the Auto Disk powder measure on your Lee turret? If so, you'll want a powder that meters accurately. Accurate No. 5 does, W231 and 2400 do also. There are certainly others, maybe other boolistas will chime in shortly with their faves.

I've found that Unique does not meter as accurately in my Auto Disk, have to scale-weigh my handgun loads with it. It might do better with a Lee dipper but I haven't tried that yet.

One thing you could maybe do is make a simple go/no go powder gauge from a 5/16" dia. dowel cut to .357 Mag. case length. Charge a case with the correct powder amount and insert dowel into case. With a fine point permanent pen, mark a line on the dowel that's parallel and a hair over flush with the case mouth. Then write cartridge, powder, and charge info on the dowel.

As soon as you charge a case, lower the press ram and insert your gauge into the case. If there is no charge or a partial charge you won't be able to see the line on the gauge. If a double charge, the gauge line will be much higher than flush.

Hope this helps ,

mosinman

Boolit Buddy
    Good idea, mosin. I might give that a try and see if it doesn't slow me down much.

The thing about other calibers and loads where I can see the powder I can visually check as part of setting the boolit on the case. I can get into a groove and really crank out the rounds.

I tried setting up some sort of mirror arrangement with an inspection mirror I have for working on the car. I couldn't get the angle.

BTW, 5 does meter well but it also leaks all over the place if I have the hopper loose enough the disk doesn't bind.

Boolit Bub
    There's a variation of the powder gauge method that's faster, but first I have to ask:

(1) Do you deprime, resize, reprime, flare case mouth, recharge case, insert, seat, and crimp bullet all in one sitting? Or, do you use the "batch" system for certain operations? Examples: Do you like to deprime all your cases at once? Or, do you like to crimp your loaded ammo in a separate operation?

(2) Is your turret 3-hole or 4-hole?

(3) I'm guessing that your press has the Auto Index feature. Do you ever deactivate it to load longer cartridges?

As for the leaking powder measure, Lee has some fixes for that under FAQ on their website. They also offer an update kit that has an elastomer wiper that's supposed to eliminate the leakage issue. Haven't had any need for it, but then I haven't tried to meter Accurate No. 5, either !

mosinman

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 3 hole and use Lee's carbide die set for it. I tumble the cases until shiny then just go from fired to loaded round.

I know some would freak that I'm stuffing primers into dirty pockets but most of the .357 I'm working with is once fired and I've had no troubles.

I auto-index and only use it for handgun (.44 mag being the longest). All my rifle stuff I still do in batch on an old Rock Chucker II someone gave me ages ago.

I know about the update kit but I can't decide if I should do that or sell off a couple of my auto disks (I have 4) and buy a pro one.

If you want a bulkier powder try Trail Boss, it's a little faster than Unique or AA5 but over twice the bulk.

Larry

i like the pro disk ..sadly the update kit doesnt have the best part , the teflon coated body ,not sure how duracoat would work there .... on thing about the elastomer wiper ? it's too easy to push to far up into the housing - it should protrude down just a wee bit ( or u mite as well not have it ...)
    as for load ...and u did state bulky ...lolz a full case of this powder will always work - in fact it doesnt do too well if it's not packed a wee bit ,and u wont be able to overload it and it's really not as messy as everyone says ,i've found that when loaded correctly it's even not as smokey as some would like us to believe ..what is this powder ? lolz it's black powder , yup , it maynot be as powerful as some nor reach mag velocirties but for no leading from lead boolits kinda hard to beat , u can even cut down the charge - as long as u fill the case totally full with wads or a wad and then cream of wheat , i shoot( and load ) a bunch of 38/357 target rounds , for years i always seen the"do not use 38 loading data in 357 mags" i was reading the hodgdon annual the other nite and oddly enough with quite a few powders in the 38's with cast boolits they list the same exact load in the mag ....lolz

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by excavman View Post
    If you want a bulkier powder try Trail Boss, it's a little faster than Unique or AA5 but over twice the bulk.
    Someone on another board suggested the same but all the load data I have for it tops out in the 900fps range.

Looking to go about 1100 or so.

I happen to have some on the shelf that someone gave to me.

Boolit Bub
    ScottJ, if you don't already have a lot invested in extra 3-hole turrets, you might consider upgrading with the 4-hole kit. Lee is having an Anniversary sale on it and could likely score one for 12-13 bux from Midway or Midsouth. Then you could install a RCBS Powder Checker die right after your charge/expand die, probably need the Lee Riser to elevate it to clear the PC die.

OR, you could locate your Rock Chucker II with decapper/resizer die where it is close to your turret press. RC first, then reprime with a hand-held tool, finish up with the 3-holer with charge/expand, PC, seat/crimp die sequence.

BTW, my rig is a 3-holer with AI, use an extra turret to decap and resize. In the 3-die turret, my PC is homemade from a Lee seat/crimp die body (no seating stem or plug). Has a 5/16" dowel about 3" long where the seater stem was located, glued a 1" length of wood matchstick across the dowel top in a "T" shape to keep it from falling thru, marked it like I did the previously mentioned powder gauge, works great.

Hope this helps - any questions, just ask .

mosinman

Can't beat Trail Boss for filling the case. I've found it to produce accurate loads in my .38s and my .44s.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the ideas, mosin. I have ton of Lee gear I bought off someone on rec.guns ages ago.

I have a turret for every handgun caliber I reload now (.380, 9MM, .38/.357, .45ACP and .44 Mag).

I might try your homemade idea. I have a couple of old .30-06 die sets that got wet in a barn and rusted.

If I move decap/resize off to my single stage I could tumble after that operation to clean out the pirmer pockets. I have a Lee auto prime to do the priming.