Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45LC 260 gr -+ on large hogs?

Boolit Mold
    I shot the same load in my Uberti using unique the gun blew up in my hands

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by olde sarge View Post
    My experience on many hogs is that a 260 grain at about 875fps out of a Uberti Colt clone will penetrate completely and unfailingly. My dogs and myself depend on it in situations that get out of hand. Never have recovered one to look at it due to complete penetration. Have shot hogs of up to 311lbs with this combo. DRT in all cases. John
    I shot the same load in my Uberti using Unique.the gun blew up in my hand

Boolit Mold
    What do you think of the 45 Colt with a 325 gr. Keith with a gas check at 1250 fps?

Boolit Master
    ouch!-- I had a Ruger .45 and shot some 310s at about 1070 --- ouch in that light Blackhawk-- -- as to the hog if my .41 cal 255 at 1350 will go through a 280# boar(so the guide said) the from 40+ long steps you should have no problem// especially since your 260's were not a problem

Boolit Mold
    johnmerry, I would be very intrested in the dope on how much Unique you were using to get this result plus the rest of your recipe, alloy and anything else relivant to your load . Was thinking of switching to Unique and now I am hesitant. John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Been dying to recover a boolit but never had the chance.
    You may notget the chance.
    I've shot two deer full length at over 50 yds with a 44 mag at 1150 fps with Lyman's 429421 boolit and never recovered the boolits either time.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

You'll likely NEVER recover any Keith or similar cast design at 900 fps or higher
    from a .44 or .45 if it weighs 240 or more. They just sail on thru.

I, too, would like to know how much Unique blew up the Uberti. My initial bet is
    a double charge -- VERY easy to do with the giant cases of the .44s and .45s.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    call "fairly light loaded" RCBS boolit in the 44 Maggie?
    Thanks for the PM, TC

I do understand what you are saying. My" light" loading equates to about the same as the old kieth load when coming out of that carbine.

I've used that same load out of 5 1/2 inch Super blackhawks as well with the same results.

"Light" is a relative term as on most sites that are geared solely toward Hog hunting, "Experts" will argue that without 300 gr loads with wrist smashing amounts of powder ......... it just cant be reliably done. I've been booted from a few websites for knowing better. Thus my designation of the loading as "Light" or "mild"

I appreciate you making me stop and think about that one.
    Last edited by chaos; 05-11-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: New information

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Thanks Guys for the information, I wish now I had asked what was the "Meplat" diameter of your bullets. I'm trying to get an idea of just how big of a meplat I can go with the 45 and still retain accuracy and penetration, accuracy is a major priority with me, but I definitely don't want to give up penetration.
    No experience with hogs vs. 45 here, but I have had good luck with the Lee C452-300-FP over 8 grains Unique in my BH and Winny 45. Now that is a WIDE meplat and very accurate in both guns. Like I said, no tests on porcine targets, but cats sure don't like 'em.
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Son's preference for the 30-30 shows again that it's plenty stout with good shot placement.
    Put your cast bullet through the shoulder with any of Chaos' stated loads and there's no squealin' argument!!! It's DRT!!!
    Let's here a "Hooray" for folks keeping their kids hunting!!
    Cheers.

We don't have hogs where I come from. Just to add to the conversation though, have any of you guys ever used a Lyman 429215 boolit on hogs? I've loaded this boolit for a Winnie trapper carbine behind 18 to 20 grains of 2400 for years. Accurate and plenty snappy enough for deer, but you never hear of many guys using it for much.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had good reports on this bullet. However, speaking ONLY for myself, I have deliberately stayed away from gas check bullets for handguns due to the extra time and expense for little or no gain.

My shooting with the big boomers has, in the past, been confined mostly to the .44 Magnum. I do have a 375 JDJ that is certainly a "big boomer" but I have only shot it with full loads and jacketed bullets. I have a .375 H&H Magnum and had a LOT of bullets for it that I bought from a "going out of business" sale for small change, so just used those. I did shoot some cast bullets (gas checked) for the .375 H&H with good results but that is NOT a handgun.

By far, the majority of my .44 handgun shooting has been with either the 429421 Keith or the H&G #503 Keith - both bullets are 250 gr SWC's.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    Thanks for the PM, TC

I do understand what you are saying. My" light" loading equates to about the same as the old kieth load when coming out of that carbine.

I've used that same load out of 5 1/2 inch Super blackhawks as well with the same results.

"Light" is a relative term as on most sites that are geared solely toward Hog hunting, "Experts" will argue that without 300 gr loads with wrist smashing amounts of powder ......... it just cant be reliably done. I've been booted from a few websites for knowing better. Thus my designation of the loading as "Light" or "mild"

I appreciate you making me stop and think about that one.
    I just had to come back to this post and thank you for being a honest man, sometimes one hears so much BS it makes one doubt the reality of what you have seen and know to be true. You start to doubt yourself even with reality staring you in the face because a lot of self proclaimed experts with semi written credentials keep blasting one with the same ****.
    I do realize that heavy for caliber bullets are more accurate than the lighter weights (within reason)simply because they are longer with more bearing surface relative to velocity. However how much accuracy are we talking about? Me thinks very little.
    If I loose a couple inches at 100 yards because my bullets weigh 250 to 280grs vs a 300gr PLUS bullet that won't differ in penetration on basically anything in the USA (Through and through is what it says) then why would I want a wrist wrenching, flinch starting load, I DON'T! I enjoy shooting and want to keep it that way.

It has really been great to hear you dispel some of the prevailing myths about bullets relative to Hog hunting from a guy and his sons that have been there seen it and done it on a continuing basis!
    This information can definitely be extrapolated to include deer and black bear, witch probably equates to 90% of the large game hunting in the lower 48.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by olde sarge View Post
    johnmerry, I would be very intrested in the dope on how much Unique you were using to get this result plus the rest of your recipe, alloy and anything else relivant to your load . Was thinking of switching to Unique and now I am hesitant. John
    after the gun blew up I did quite a bit of research on the net and the load I used was a basic load. Here is the load I was firing.
    1. 8.0 gr of Unigue
    2. 270 gr keith cast from WW alloy using LBT mold bullets water quenched
    3. bullet seated to crimp groove
    4 CCi 350 LPM primers
    5. starline brass cleaned in media shaker after every firing
    I had fired a 3600 of these loads through the gun and my rugers with no failures the round fired through the gun before the blow up caused the case to stick in the chamber which we had to pound out. I beleive this is where the failure started. But I have been shooting this load for years with no problems. The gun simply failed.
    Last edited by johnmerry; 05-19-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    You'll likely NEVER recover any Keith or similar cast design at 900 fps or higher
    from a .44 or .45 if it weighs 240 or more. They just sail on thru.

I, too, would like to know how much Unique blew up the Uberti. My initial bet is
    a double charge -- VERY easy to do with the giant cases of the .44s and .45s.

Bill
    There was no double charge there was three people watching when the gun blewup they said it sound no louder the the round before it I load and the Lee classic turret pres which makes it pretty hard to double charge a case I also went home that night and took apart the other cartridges loaded in that session the bullets were right the charges were right. I havde also fired 16 gr of Unique in my Custom build 5 shot Ruger Bislety chambers in the 45 LC recoil is pretty stiff but the round that blew the gun had no heavy recoil. The heaviest load I shoot is 325 gr Keith with a gc at 1500 fps out of my 5 shot Bisley with a 4 5/8 barrel this load kicks I have measured the frame and cylinder nothing has bulged of streched. The Uberti failed to take a consistent diet of light loads. The gun failed.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead melter View Post
    No experience with hogs vs. 45 here, but I have had good luck with the Lee C452-300-FP over 8 grains Unique in my BH and Winny 45. Now that is a WIDE meplat and very accurate in both guns. Like I said, no tests on porcine targets, but cats sure don't like 'em.
    I shoot a keith style bullet out of a LBT mold meplat is 350 wieght is 325 you are right about cats not liking the wide meplats. I caught my neighbors house cat taking a **** on my fire wood pile; and she sure did not like it!
    Last edited by johnmerry; 05-17-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: mistake

Boolit Mold

Smile

I just had to come back to this post and thank you for being a honest man, sometimes one hears so much BS it makes one doubt the reality of what you have seen and know to be true. You start to doubt yourself even with reality staring you in the face because a lot of self proclaimed experts with semi written credentials keep blasting one with the same ****.
    I do realize that heavy for caliber bullets are more accurate than the lighter weights (within reason)simply because they are longer with more bearing surface relative to velocity. However how much accuracy are we talking about? Me thinks very little.
    If I loose a couple inches at 100 yards because my bullets weigh 250 to 280grs vs a 300gr PLUS bullet that won't differ in penetration on basically anything in the USA (Through and through is what it says) then why would I want a wrist wrenching, flinch starting load, I DON'T! I enjoy shooting and want to keep it that way.

It has really been great to hear you dispel some of the prevailing myths about bullets relative to Hog hunting from a guy and his sons that have been there seen it and done it on a continuing basis!
    This information can definitely be extrapolated to include deer and black bear, witch probably equates to 90% of the large game hunting in the lower 48.
    You are right I like the heavy 325 keiths beacuace they balance so way. but a bullet that heavy at a lowly 900 fps will pass through a lot of muscle and bone before it stops. It will also cause little deformation to the bullet. btu for the time being I do not mind the heavy kicking loads. Makes me feel like a real man and fuels my sense of masculinity

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmerry View Post

You are right I like the heavy 325 keiths beacuace they balance so way. but a bullet that heavy at a lowly 900 fps will pass through a lot of muscle and bone before it stops. It will also cause little deformation to the bullet. btu for the time being I do not mind the heavy kicking loads. Makes me feel like a real man and fuels my sense of masculinity
    I rather have low punishing loads that will get the job done just as well if not better due the higher degree of accuracy. Getting beat **** less is not my idea of fun when it is totally not necessary. Have a nice day.

Boolit Mold
    I rather have low punishing loads that will get the job done just as well if not better due the higher degree of accuracy. Getting beat **** less is not my idea of fun when it is totally not necessary. Have a nice day.
    my favorite load is the 325gr Keith at 1200 fps out of 4 5/8 barrel. This is heavy recoil but in the Ruger Bisley it is very comfortable and highly accurate and will penetrate right on through next weekend. Deer do not go more then ten yards.

Watched my dad shoot a 60 pounder or so with a SA colt.8gr uni. and a 250rnfp.Ended in dead pig.Thru n thru.I haven't hunted them with a pistol but,i have shot a few in the trap with a .22 behind the ear