Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail Boss in the 30 - 06

Boolit Grand Master

Trail Boss in the 30 - 06

I'm beginning to read more about TrailBoss being used in reduced loads in bottle neck cases.

I loaded 12.3 grs. of TrailBoss behind a SAECO # 315 HP, sized .310" and primed with a Wolf LR Primer.

I seated the nose of the bullet lightly into the lands.

I was amazed at the group. A very accurate load.

I came back to the loading bench and loaded more !

Out of curiosity, I willfully tried to throw 24.6 grs. ( a double charge of the load that had shot so accurately ) of Trail boss into a 30 / 06 case, just to see if it was possible to throw 2 charges of 12.3 grs. into a 30 - 06 case ( A Double Charge ) IT CAN'T BE DONE ! !

24.6 grs. overfills the case and powder spills out onto your bench.

So, If you'd like to shoot an accurate reduced load in an 06' without the fear of a " double charge ", TrailBoss is a good place to start looking.

Ben

Boolit Master

There's a very good artical in the April Handloader mag on Trailboss in botle necked cases.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master
    Calamity Jake :

Yes, I've looked at that particular magazine article. It was a very good article, that article is probably what prompted me the most to try TrailBoss.

BTW, I tried to use 2 different powder measures to throw my 12.3 gr. charge of TrailBoss. No luck, the charges were all over the place( 12.1, 12.4 , 12.6, 12.2 , etc.. TrailBoss doesn't work through a powder measure very well ( for me ) .

I ended up doing it the hard way with my oil dampened scale and a Lee Spoon, and a trickler, but the results down range were well worth it.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 05-03-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Boolit Master

I've thrown Trailboss thru a RCBS Uniflow and a Dillon and did not have that much trouble.
    About .3 veriation which I didn't worry about.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine had a shade more than .3

Maybe I'm over doing it, but I like my powder charges in rifle cartridges to be " dead nuts on " if at all possible.

Ben

I don't have any problems throwing uniform charges of TB with my Lyman 55 measure. I read somewhere that 9 grs of TB is a good starting point for all bottle neck rounds in the 30-06,308 range. I plan to load some Krag brass with it tomorrow behind the 311466 boolit.

Larry

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    You'll like the reduced Trail Boss loads....I've been fooling around with them for awhile now in my milsurps. 9 grs. seems to be the starting point for most common military size rifle cartridges and you can use plain base boolits for the ultimate "cheap" round. Check their website for the latest poop on bottleneck cases.

I had trouble with my RCBS Uniflow also. I was curious how it would work with this new "cheerios" powder, so I dropped the same charge about 10 times and weighed each. Good thing too, as the powder would drop light twice then suddenly dump the overcharge on the third try. Now, an overcharge with TB wouldn't be disasterous (except to accuracy) but I went to using Lee dippers instead. Slower, but a heck of a lot more uniform. I have one of the old Lyman measures so maybe I'll break it out and try again.

Boolit Grand Master
    3006guns :

I didn't have any luck at all with 2 different powder measures throwing charges of T/Boss. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm like you , however, in that my results were less than ideal and didn't meet my standards for uniformity of powder charges.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 05-03-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

I have been using TB in my 270 and in my 223 and 44 mag.

I used my Lee disk measure on my turret press for the 223 and the 44. It seemed to work great. I would run a load and dump it on my scale. Then run it again in the case. It metered quite well. I had no issues.
    The 270 I used my Lee scoops. I dumped random scoops on the scale and it was good. Not as close as the smaller charges from the disk measure, but still pretty uniform.

I have found TB to be quite accurate. Several of us at Handloadersbench have been playing with it. Some targets listed here. http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum91/11851.html

Have a good 'un, Guy
    Are you in need a pan lube cutter?
    I make custom made cutters in a cutting size of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...31#post2827331

Support our troops...they are somebody's kids!

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried it in rifle, yet

I've loaded lots of 38 spec with 2.6gr from a lyman 55 measure with no problems.

checking with an rcbs scale, + - .1

throw 10 charges, it weighs 26.0 + - about .2 or .3

I like it, maybe I'm just lucky....
    NRA life member

LB

I have been using Lyman 311466 cast boolits (no gas check) and charges of 9, 9.5, and 10 grs Trail Boss in my 30-06 with very accurate results. It shoots about 2" at 100 yds from my 1917 Enfield and my Ruger #1. Velocity is around 1100 fps and almost no recoil. I am dropping these charges from my old Lyman #55 measure and they come out just fine as long as you use the built-in knocker after EVERY dump.

Boolit Master
    Dear me, I must have built my house on an ancient sacred burial ground or something. Gotta be bad gris-gris.

Some three wks. ago I fired 25 rnds. of '06 through a lightly used Rem.700. The projectiles were 183 gr. SAECO 307 sized .309, R-P brass, Win.LR primer lighting off 11.5 gr. T'Boss. Each dose of T'Boss was measured on a PACT scale. Trying to get satifaction with T'Boss and a Redding measure filled my mind with impure thoughts towards both.

First round sent downrange @ 50 yds. produced a very mild recoil, almost like a .22 rimfire. Had I not seen a hole in the lower left corner of the target I would have immediately thought the boolit were stuck somewhere in the barrell! The spent brass' neck was smoked, the primer did protrude from the pocket. All signs of too mild a load.

Successive rounds were no different. In my frustration, I broke out five, "let's see what this might do", rounds of the same batch loaded with 12grs. of T'Boss. More recoil & noise, same results with brass. What the...! The guys at CB do this every day with less powder. No such comments from them fellers.

I went home and sat in a darkened room for 3 hrs.

O.K. men, there you have it. Beat my knuckles with an 18" oak ruler if you must, where did I go wrong?

PS: all brass was resized to the maximum of an L.E. Wilson .30-'06 case gauge.

Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Test results from yesterday:
    270win 125 Lee gc boolit 8 grs TB 1115, 1130, 1125
    270win 125 Lee gc boolit 9 grs TB 1230, 1226, 1213 --- 1.5"/100yds

Larry

Boolit Grand Master

I have not tried TB yet, but when I load SR4759 with cast in my '06 I use fireformed brass and a Lee Collet die. Expand the neck a little with a Lyman M die and load. This has eleminated smoked cases for me.

Boolit Mold
    I have not gotten to the 100 yard range but using a Ruger M77 Mk2 at 50 yards from a benchrest I shot three consecutive targets that range from 1" to 7/16" for 3 shots. Bullet is a cast Lyman 311291 sized to .309". Weight with gas check and Lee alox is 171 grains. Powder is Trail Boss at 16.0 grains. Primer is WLR. The case is a sized and trimmed Remington Peters once fired. The OAL is 3.080 inches (measured). The powder charge fills the case to about the bottom of the neck. The groups strike about 2 1/2" lower than the point of aim and 1/2" to the right in my rifle. Has anyone tried this combo at 100 yards?

Boolit Buddy
    Just this morning I tested 30 rounds of 30-06 for my 03A3 using 10,11 and 12 gr of trail Boss under a 311299 sized at .311. Each of the loads shot around 1" at 50yds. using the issue sights. POI varied some with the different charge weights. I plan to up the charges with 13, 14 and 15 gr. loads just to see if anything changes but it seems the lowers charges work quite well.

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by walltube View Post
    PS: all brass was resized to the maximum of an L.E. Wilson .30-'06 case gauge.

can you try it without resizing? or just neck sizing just enough to hold the boolit?

Boolit Master

Ben, call the IMR help line at 913-362-9455 and talk to the representative there. He's is very interesting and can give you several pointers on using the TrailBoss in a wide variety of cases, not just the 30-06. He is a very helpful guy and best of all, he shoots the stuff himself in a variety of rifles. He has a quick and easy formula to start loading with TB in just about anything except muzzleloaders, in which he says TB is not suitable. I am waiting for the weather to break to get back out to the range with some loads for my .43 Spanish and 8x57 mauser. I'm also going to give it a try in my .44-40 and .41 magnum. btw, I gave up on the RCBS powder measure and weigh by electronic scale now when weighing TB. James

why is TB not appropriate in a Muzzleloader? Sounds like it would be a perfect substitute.

if it is good for a caseful of TB in a 50-110, then the same amount should work in a well made MZ.

What am I missing?

nanuk: Powder compression. I believe they've recommended against ANY powder compression in Trail Boss loads. I believe the burning rate changes dramatically if compressed.
    Rick