Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Favorite Model 19 Loads

Boolit Master

Favorite Model 19 Loads

I just picked up a nice Smith Model 19 at a nice price. Anyone got any favorite loads for all around use? This might be my new woods walking gun.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I load .38 special +P data in .357 cases. Works good for general woods walking work. I carry a few 150gr keiths stoked with a maximum charge of 296 for things requiring a little more smackum.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman 358477 ahead of 9 grs. of Bluedot.

Mine has 2 1/2" barrel, this load minimizes muzzle blast and produces about 1100 fps.

For my longer barrel revolvers, I go up to 10 grs. of Bluedot.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    I like a 158 grain boolit ahead of 12.5 grains of 2400 in a 357 mag case.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Master
    Should have mentioned that I have a lot of SR4756 and 7625.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

Boolit Master
    4756 has worked well in a lot of different .357 loads and other cartridges too, for me. I was given a keg way back and am still working on it. The Lyman cast bullet manual gives lots of loads with 4756. One I do recall is the Lee 140 SWC and 8 gr/ SR4756 in .357 cases. Shot well in my M19.

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Should have mentioned that I have a lot of SR4756 and 7625.
    Normally a .44 fan, I'd carry a model 19 if I was being "weight conscious" about what I'd have to carry all day. Two loads stand out:

(1) 125 gr bullet over 8.4 grs of 4756.
    (2) 148 gr DEWC over 10 grs of 2400.

That second load is the most accurate load I've ever put through a .357 Magnum. Well, inside 35 yards or so. It's the old "wadcutters not worth a damn for distance shooting" thing...

Boolit Grand Master
    12.5 grains of 2400 behind a cast 158 grainer will give about 1100 FPS in my 686 x 4", and is an all-day load that won't hurt a K-frame 357 Magnum one bit. Very pleasant to shoot.

I use 13.5 grains of 2400 to duplicate my agency's carry load ballistics--Lyman #358156 in 357 cases, seated and crimped at the upper crimp groove. If I can find the W-W 158 JHPs, I give those 14.5 grains of WW-296 for an EXACT match to the carry loads. These both give about 1235 FPS in the 686, and again will cause no undue wear & tear on a K-frame 357--or a J-frame, for that matter. Wear & tear on the operator with a J-frame.......another matter.

I've not used SR-7625 at all, and SR-4756 gets used primarily in my 32-20 revolver loads. I've not tried the latter in the 38 or 357 to date. Sorry about that.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    13 grains of 2400 with 158 gr SWC.... sound familiar?
    Paul

Boolit Master
    I like to use the 358429 in my Model 19 ahead of 7 gr. of Unique. I really like that bullet but can't use in with my Model 27 and it seems a little heavy for the .38's so it's my Model 19 load.

Boolit Master

Skeeter's load with the 358156 crimped in the lower crimp groove in once-fired .38 cases. I'm using 15.5 grs of Lil'Gun instead of Skeeter's 13.5 of 2400. BRP makes a great version of the 358156, with a deeper lube groove, and you can get it with a hollowpoint cavity at very reasonable cost. .38 Special cases also clear the cylinder better when ejecting in a hurry. This is a little stout for all day plinking use, but that's what .38 wadcutters are for.

Boolit Master
    I keep reading horror stories about these pistols accumulating a lead build up on the forcing cone and it cracking.

Is this a serious issue - should I only shoot j bullets? Internet legend?

I've owned/shot/fondled/seen a lot of 19s & 66s over the years, and I have not seen a single example.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    I keep reading horror stories about these pistols accumulating a lead build up on the forcing cone and it cracking.

Is this a serious issue - should I only shoot j bullets? Internet legend?
    I'd offer pix, but the 19 in question is at the smithy....awaiting a new barrel. I cracked my forcing cone by using a warm-to-hot .357- I think the recipe was 17g W296 and a 125g Golden Saber. After I cracked it, one of my shooting cronies told me that the 19 is susceptable to cone cracks with fast 125g jackets. I believe it- because it happened to me- but I never verified if it is an across-the-board issue with all S&W 19s. From my experience I can only recommend playing it safe- jus' stay away from fast 125g jackets.

Those that know more than me (that's 99.27% of you)- is this issue the catalyst for the creation of the 686?

Thanks

Tom
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

Boolit Grand Master
    It was, BLT. The L-frames came online about 1980-81, expressly to use the FBI-approved 125 grain JHP loading that ran at 1450 FPS from 4" barrels. These ran at the then-SAAMI spec of 42K CUP, which works fine in Colt Pythons--Colt Troopers of all vintages--S&W N-frames--and anything Ruger makes or has made in 357 Magnum. The Model 19s and 66s would--on occasion--crack forcing cones and more frequently develop end shake more readily if used extensively with the FBI 125 grain JHP. It was and remains a GREAT people round--but it was not without its issues.

In 1991 my agency FINALLY authorized the carrying of 357 Magnum ammunition in personally-owned 357 revolvers. The FBI 125 JHP was NOT authorized, due to the history of K-frame cone cracking AND the fact that our issued body armor at the time would not contain the round. FBI had seen a number of their issued Model 13 x 3" revolvers develop cone cracks with their recommended ammo--and added the W-W 158 JHP, which ran and still runs at the updated SAAMI max of 36K CUP. SAAMI softened the pressure standard in 357 Magnum in response to the K-frame issue AND in response to S&W's expressed desire to chamber their J-frame revos in 357 Magnum. Uh, no thank you--very much. SAAMI subsequently down-pressured the 41 and 44 Magnums to 36K CUP as well. Things like this occur when you turn liability lawyers loose in gun companies--but I digress.

That's the history as I recall it from the time.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    There seems to be two theories to the cracking - one about the build up, the more predominate one about the hot 125 loads.

I just bought the gun, and have been researching it. Amazing how many people love these things in spite of these issues. I do have to say that mine has the best trigger I have ever felt on a handgun - short of my Contender.

Absolute favoite is a 158 big flat point over 7.5 grains of Unique in mag cases, for all around use, closely followed by the 358429 over 12.5 of 2400 in .38 cases.

A Smith 19 in good shape should handle both loads for a long time without trouble and won't beat you to death.
    Big Bullets at moderate speeds...Makes things move

Boolit Master
    Gotta love those K frames, every last one of them. I do anyway. But the upside of that bad news about sammi pressures is they made a J frame .357. I have a 3" with adj. sights and it is a joy to shoot and carry in the woods. I shoot midrange handloads or less though. With a little practice you can really lay it down with some speed loaders. I'd like to see Jerry Miculek do his thing with one, man that guy is fast. I will definately avoid warm loads with 125s now in either gun.

I have a 4" M19 with a pinned barrel and counter bored cyl. I bought it new in the late 70s. I put over 8K rounds through it, about a third of which were factory jacketed rounds. Mostly I shot 150 gr lead with 12.5 grns of 2400 as the powder. A couple of years ago I had it retuned at the S&W shop. They found two very slightly (cannot be seen nor felt with out a gauge) bulged cylinders and a cracked forcing cone. They set the barrel back and did some action work for me. i think the cost was $175 total. Now I stick with 11 grains of 2400 and carry the real mag ammo for JIC reasons. Now the real beauty is that I have the slickest double action gun around.. i never shoot it SA (the SA pull is under lbs) I love this gun.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

5.6 to 6.0 gr of Win 231 and any quality 150-160 gr SWC gives stellar accuracy and no leading in my 37 year old M-19. Gps run well below 2" at 25 yds, sitting with a back rested position.

The 5.6 gr is a Chrono'd 1018 fps load from my 4-5/8" Ruger BH...it should be slightly faster from a 6" Smith.

Regards, Rodfac

PS: Lately I've been substituting HP-38 for the Win 231 (which is becoming virtually impossible to find), with identical accuracy and velocity. HTH's Rod