Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Anybody ever load the 28-30?

Boolit Mold

Anybody ever load the 28-30?

I have been given the task of loading for a Stevens 44 that belongs to our gun club. I have dies and brass but there is a scarcity of load data. I would like to use smokeless powder but the only data I can find is for 15 gr. of IMR 4198. I have tried this load but it is plagued with hang-fires.

Anybody have any experience with this round?

Thanks,
    Tim

Boolit Bub
    schwartz & dell gave loads in there book also roberts reprint and others you mite contact accurate arms powder co they will help you. dont load to hot #44 is a weak action when in good shape. you could use trail boss loaded just to the below the base of a seated bullet then work up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jon skorepa View Post
    schwartz & dell gave loads in there book also roberts reprint and others you mite contact accurate arms powder co they will help you. dont load to hot #44 is a weak action when in good shape. you could use trail boss loaded just to the below the base of a seated bullet then work up.
    I believe that's the maximum load. Reduce THAT by 20 */. and work up. Remember with Trail Boss NO compression.

Boolit Mold
    Rico,

Your exactly right, that would be a max for trailboss. I measured the volume of a fired case to the bullet base and it holds 11.9 gr of trailboss. I tried a load of 7.7 gr and it was extremely mild. I think this weekend I will try working up to around 10 gr.

Thanks,
    Tim

Boolit Master
    4227 and 4759 work well in the 32-40 and 38-55. Usually about 14-15 grain or so.
    I'd reduce that to around 10-11 and start from there. You might want to check assra.com and put a post in the reloading section, I'm sure you will get plenty of help.
    Frank

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for your help guys. I will try posting over at ASSRA too.

Tim

Boolit Bub
    i wouldn't try it unless i've got a duplex measure, and used duplex loads .The case is too big for smokeless powder and hopeless with straight Black Powder-i used a Stevens 44 in this case 40 years ago. I sold`the rifle as i got tired of cleaning it, althrough it shot very well with FFG Black powder.You had to clean between shots. I didn't know about duplex`loads then. I used to use Dupont Shotgun smokless as a duplex load, when that went off the market i used 4759 or 4227.Duplex loads don't work in low pressure loads, such as 44-40 WCF.