Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Lead hardness

Lead hardness

Can lead be too hard im using lino and wheelweights, then waterdropping them in 50-70 it will go thru 4 pieces of 7/8 ths plywood before lodging in the 5th @ 25 yds. If i test it with a Saeco tester best i can figure it comes out about 20 bnh guess i could break out the ole agravating lee and ck with it, but im wondering if theres such a thing as too hard. Duh i should had put without hardly any distortion.
    Last edited by Cowboy5780; 03-22-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added line about distortion
    VOTE 2016! Throw them out! Every last one of them
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American Soldier
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."
    My Signature is dedicate to the Good Lord and My Hero Sons friends who died in Afghanistan

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess it depends on your intended use.

something is wrong with your test results, the alloy mix you used should get much harder than 20 BHN. Did you let them age a while before testing?

I mix linotype and pure lead 30/70 and water drop, after about 2 weeks they are at 26 BHN.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I have to agree w/ 454. Water dropped ww will go 18-20, adding lino & waterdropping would be harder I would think. I don't think you need a bullet that hard in a 50/70. It would rpobably shoot fine w/ straight ww & air cooled.

I figure theres something up with the test results i couldnt believe there wasnt much damage to the boolit after all that birch plywood guess i will do the next batch without water dropping and see how that turns out.. thanks for the replies
    VOTE 2016! Throw them out! Every last one of them
    "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. The American Soldier
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."
    My Signature is dedicate to the Good Lord and My Hero Sons friends who died in Afghanistan

Boolit Master
    While there may or may not be a "too hard" there is a point at which lead can be too brittle.. A friend got what he thought was Lino and was casting with that, but it was actually Mono type and well, when the round nose hit the feed ramp, the bullet broke in two.. so um, yeah, brittleness is not that great..