RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Conical (Spitzer) Lead molds?

Boolit Master
    The thing I keep wondering when I look at cast spitzers is how would they work on animate targets? As most of you know, when the militaries of the world went to spire points in the 1906-1910 time frame, stopping power of standard military FMJ ammo took a leap up. They tumble. These cast pointy bullets ought to tumble, too. Sure, they are going slower, but the .300 Whisper was based on subsonic match .30 caliber 220-240 gr bullets tumbling. It was supposed to work and probably did (no personal experience).

I wish I lived where I could do some varmint blasting with some of these cast designs at 1500 fps. or faster.

In Remebrance

I would not depend on "tumbling" for game use or varmint use. A very iffy proposition IMO.

Boolit Grand Master
    While not a true "spitzer" per se, some of the RCBS rifle designs denoted by an "SP" suffix feature a streamlined form and a bore-riding nose that adapts well to low, medium and relatively high velocities. I've had great luck with the 95 grain 6mm in 243, and will be giving the 22 caliber 55 grain SP some further work in a 223 bolter very soon.

I don't know whether they are tumbling or not, but the 243 boolits at 1600-1800 FPS leave no doubt as to their passage through jackrabbits and ground squirrels. DRT, at any distance attempted, to 150 yards. Every bit as much damage as what is seen from the Speer 75 grain jacketed flatpoint from the 25-20 at 1700-1900 FPS.

For deer hunting, a 30 caliber boolit of any form would benefit from soft-point casting.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Let's not forget the "Squibb" bullets that are so much fun to play with. Belding and Mull's versions was the 311169, and Lyman's 311413 &311414. I finally got the B&M to shoot accurately using Blue Dot. I'd guesstimated velocity at 1250fps. Chronographed some yesterday and was suprised to see they were going 1580fps.

I have a Lyman 308329 mold works well in my 30-06, .303 British and m 28 out to 100yard don't have access to longer a range at this time.
    http://adventuresinopencarr.blogspot.com/
    even my cat has a gun
    Trust in GOD and the Mauser.

I have one of those myself. A fellow here on the board tells me they're fairly rare. I haven't found the right combination to make it work well in my Krag, though I think that's what they were originally made for. There's a group buy discussion going on for one a bit heavier, the 311365, it's linked above.

Boolit Master

I shoot the Lyman 311413....and it is a fussy one when it comes to getting decent accuracy. I suspect that alot of people, like myself, have found that RN boolits give better results without being as fussy. Whenever I want a lesson in humility, I load some 311413.

Boolit Master
    There is the old Lyman 3311413. But I never got it to shoot very well except with 2400 powder and a load that was on the lighter side.l
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"