RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .44 Special Moulds

Boolit Man

.44 Special Moulds

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Lee .44 calibur bullet moulds? I was thinking about the 6 cavity mould. I would really appreciate any pros or cons.
    Thanks much!

Alan

Boolit Buddy

Can't comment on the LEE mold. I use a Lyman 429421 & it works beautifully in my Rossi 44 Spl.

Which mold were you thinking about? they have several. Is this for a revolver or levergun?
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

I have the 2 cav RN 240gr. They are only $20 so I tried one. I had to lap it a little for 431 size but it drops a nice bullet and I've made over 2500 bullets for $20 dollars and its still going good. Works good in my rifle and pistol. I've heard the 6 cav molds are much better.

Boolit Master

+1 on the Lee .44 RN. Mine drops at 246 gr from a 50/50 mix of WWs and range scrap and I load it for both "cowboy" loads in my OM Vaquero and practice/plinkers in my S&W M24.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned

i use the lee 240 swc with a light coat of alox in the 44 special but only with 4 grs of titegroup.
    it does take down the rams at 100 easily though.
    these were acquired in a trade with a friend, and i hemmed and hawed around too long when i had a chance to buy a 6 cav for cheap.
    i already have a few molds for the 44 from 200 to 260 grs and couldn't see adding anything less than 300 grs to the group.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have a Taurus 441, 6" SS. I use the Lee 214 gr. SWC sized .430, very good performer and cheap due to its light weight and I cast it soft, saving expensive alloy.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the opposite experience with the Lee 215 gr SWC. Not particularly accurate in
    any gun or load that I have tried.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    MtGun44: I found that if I pushed the Lee 215 too hard, accuracy fell off, and casting it harder didn't help. I load it to 800 FPS+/- and use a fast powder(AA#2) and it works well. Slower powders and higher velocity was not good, I was looking for cheap and I found it with soft alloy and small charges.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee 200g RNFP, feeds thru my 1894 and very accurate in my Super Blackhawk. Ask the 100 m piggy about the SBH.
    I do run them thru a .429 Lee sizer and lube with LLA. A slightly oversize bullet will not chamber in the 1894. Only has about 10-12 of them beore I got the sizing die but that may have been the 2 cav vs the 6 cav mold. Shot as cast before that.
    CF

I like the 240 gr. RN from Lee. A six cavity mold will give you plenty of boolits in no time. 4.8 grains of Bullseye will give you a mild recoil and accurate practice load. If you are thinking of a hunting boolit then a SWC would be your best bet.

Boolit Buddy
    429421 or the Lee 200 RNFP for me.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I have one of the six cavity molds for the two hundred (or thereabouts) grain in the round flat design . I wanted a bullet that I could find one load for both a Marlin 336 and my four inch revolver .

Fortunately for me LEE got the size wrong at the right time and these drop out just a tad over .433" so when I send them through the die they just get touched . The Marlins big chamber likes them fat and the Smith and Wesson tolerates them so both guns give good results .

If you are going to shoot them in a lever rifle the round flat is just great for feeding .

Jack

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I have the opposite experience with the Lee 215 gr SWC. Not particularly accurate in
    any gun or load that I have tried.

Bill
    I agree---I tried many loads with this one and it was never accurate--then I got a Lee 429-200-RF (90285)---Wow...I could not find a load that wasn't accurate with it!

Boolit Master

The Lee 44-200 RNFP works fine for me in 44 Special and 44 Mag.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee 429240-2R,which is pretty close to the regular factory roundnose and the Ideal 429383. They cast, size, crimp and shoot well. It's a single cavity mould.

Not a Lee mold, but my Saeco 446 (200gr Flat Nose) is incredibly accurate in nearly every load I've tried in 44 SPL.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

I've just started working with the Lee 200 rnfp boolits, and so far the results have been pretty good out of my Ruger Flattop. Mine casts a bit on the fat side too, and that has worked out well.

Boolit Buddy
    I also use the Lee 6 cavity 200gr RNFP. A 6 banger will give you a pile of boolits in no time. Mine drop at .430 so I size them in a 430 Lyman die with Carnuba Red lube. They are for my Ruger Super BH and .44 Special BH.

I haven't loaded any yet so I don't know how they will perform but I cast them with 50/50 lead/WW for mild loads with Unique and/or Trailboss.

Banned

ive tried about all the lee 44 molds and the only one that shot well for me is the 300 and it took quite a bit of load developement to get there. Youd be much better served by a 250k rcbs or a 429421 lyman

Boolit Master
    My Rossi 92 sure seems to like the Lee 200 RFP.
    Thanx, Tim Kelley
    SFC US Army (Ret)
    NRA Life

Still have noclue!

"IN GOD WE TRUST"